Humber Bridge southern approach road??

The photographer was based in Lincolnshire otherwise this is just a guess. But the curve of the road going towards those trees on the higher land makes me wonder if this wasn't taken close to the River Humber looking south?

The Kodakchrome slide is dated FEB 78 which seems too late but maybe somebody can tell from the picture?

I0000nspxYHMm._g.jpg

1 hour ago, Martin P Wilson said:

The deck went on in 1980/1 so 1978 would be about right. It certainly looks right for your proposed caption.

Thanks Martin. Perhaps I'll couch it as 'thought to be'.

Well, I've just had a quick Streetview and that's the sort of landscape you see heading into Lincolnshire.

Why anyone would actually want to do that I can't imagine. I only every leave it via the Bridge.;)

It curves to the right and descends. Yorkshire end it curves to the left.

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The photographer was based in Lincolnshire otherwise this is just a guess. But the curve of the road going towards those trees on the higher land makes me wonder if this wasn't taken close to the River Humber looking south?

The Kodakchrome slide is dated FEB 78 which seems too late but maybe somebody can tell from the picture?

I0000nspxYHMm._g.jpg

Looks like you've found some very useful images to digitise and upload to the archive.

Mark

13 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Looks like you've found some very useful images to digitise and upload to the archive.

Mark

Yes, but it is very much a question of numbers. The majority is unusable. Certainly only a small % are worthwhile - cats, flowers, poor exposure/composition,  landscapes, buildings that look the same or can't easily be identified ( a church?)

A picture like the above would also be quite easy to overlook so it does involve a bit of instinct.

I am enjoying it all especially using the camera rather than scanner. I am spending too much time dust busting - much more than needs to be done for old archive images - just force of habit I suppose.

With the one in this thread I do feel pleased that it hasn't ended up in landfill.

Click on my blue link and scroll down. 

There's a couple of a group of men erecting an oil drilling derrick in a desert taken from a helicopter.

Think how much that would cost to set up! 😀

23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I0000nspxYHMm._g.jpg

I think you could be right about it being on the Lincolnshire side and looking south to the approach road running into Lincs.  My parents moved to Goxhill, 5 miles from the south end of the bridge in 1983 so I didn't see the bridge till after construction.  There were a lot of old brick pits and tile works around Far Ings lane in Barton on Humber so there would have been plenty of room for a construction site in that area.  A lot of the Ings (brick pits) are now in the nature reserve.

6 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

I think you could be right about it being on the Lincolnshire side and looking south to the approach road running into Lincs.  My parents moved to Goxhill, 5 miles from the south end of the bridge in 1983 so I didn't see the bridge till after construction.  There were a lot of old brick pits and tile works around Far Ings lane in Barton on Humber so there would have been plenty of room for a construction site in that area.  A lot of the Ings (brick pits) are now in the nature reserve.

Thanks for the further confirmation. There has been a lot of development on this site since then so it is hard to get a view of the raised road from this sort of angle on Google Maps. Unless I have missed it there is only this one photo - I suppose the thought process was that it was only worth one firing of the shutter.

Edited by geogphotos