The 3:2 vs 16:9 RAW vs jpeg size might be dependent on what you software you use to process your image and it can vary for many things...

For example, with my Olympus, the first time I set my photos to black and white in camera, I only shot RAW, so when I imported into LR, they were in color. I then shot jpeg and and RAW, and RAW were in color, jpeg in B&W.

But, when I set my camera to square format to help me frame images for a calendar, and only shot RAW, I imported them into LR and the RAW files were square, but, and this was the brilliant thing, if I clicked on the crop overlay tool in the Develop mode and hit "reset," my entire photograph would show up , including what was cropped off to make the image square. It's very helpful for framing - takes some guess work out of it. 

I have not set my Sony A7rII on B&W or square, at least not recently, so I can't compare. But I'm intrigued to see if my experience will be any different. Actually, I think I might have tried it early on when I was experimenting with Capture One software and that the photos showed up native 3:2 in color. So the software could make a difference. 

I'd note that in LR for the Olympus, there are color settings based on the camera but that the camera's profile is always preset in the camera, so this might mean the two manufacturer's cameras act differently even in LR. Maybe I'll shoot B&W today - I'm inspired!

Edited by Marianne

4 hours ago, Marianne said:

Though you shoot a wide variety of subjects, your edgy authentic eye comes through in all of them. Your concern for the people you are photographing also comes through, Keep up the good work!

What lovely words to hear. Thank you, Marianne.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

The 3:2 vs 16:9 RAW vs jpeg size might be dependent on what you software you use to process your image and it can vary for many things...

For example, with my Olympus, the first time I set my photos to black and white in camera, I only shot RAW, so when I imported into LR, they were in color. I then shot jpeg and and RAW, and RAW were in color, jpeg in B&W.

But, when I set my camera to square format to help me frame images for a calendar, and only shot RAW, I imported them into LR and the RAW files were square, but, and this was the brilliant thing, if I clicked on the crop overlay tool in the Develop mode and hit "reset," my entire photograph would show up , including what was cropped off to make the image square. It's very helpful for framing - takes some guess work out of it. 

I have not set my Sony A7rII on B&W or square, at least not recently, so I can't compare. But I'm intrigued to see if my experience will be any different. Actually, I think I might have tried it early on when I was experimenting with Capture One software and that the photos showed up native 3:2 in color. So the software could make a difference. 

I'd note that in LR for the Olympus, there are color settings based on the camera but that the camera's profile is always preset in the camera, so this might mean the two manufacturer's cameras act differently even in LR. Maybe I'll shoot B&W today - I'm inspired!

Interesting. I'm so glad to get to the bottom of this. Sometimes I would go to the RAW image to edit colors or contrast, and noticed I had to crop it to recreate my original preferred frame. At least I get the concept now so can keep it in mind with different cameras and software in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share, I've sold three more photos in the last two weeks. So that's six total. I'm also still studying this thread to learn some more techniques with the camera. Thank you all for your feedback. I feel happy about how I have grown as a photographer in the last year and could not have gotten this far without you.

• Love 2

On 05/06/2020 at 00:04, The Blinking Eye said:

Just thought I'd share, I've sold three more photos in the last two weeks. So that's six total. I'm also still studying this thread to learn some more techniques with the camera. Thank you all for your feedback. I feel happy about how I have grown as a photographer in the last year and could not have gotten this far without you.

Up to 6 now, wow!

How do you do it? I know I've seen some of your sales on the monthly forums, do you mind sharing the image codes so I can see them all?

4 hours ago, AlexG said:

Up to 6 now, wow!

How do you do it? I know I've seen some of your sales on the monthly forums, do you mind sharing the image codes so I can see them all?

Sure thanks for your interest. I'll just paste them here. Three were from the 2019 San Francisco Women's March, two are Audio/Visual tech related.

Three sales in the last few weeks and am suddenly getting a zoom every few days.

I have heard that frequent uploads leads to high placement in the searches. My photos tend to show up high in searches, but not always. I use lots of keywords and shoot a variety of topics.

TRJ5KY sold twice, once to Germany, once to Brazil

Indigenous or Native American women marching with a banner with fists in air. 2019 Women's March, Market Street, San Francisco, California, USA. Stock Photo

Basement studio of underground, experimental filmmaker Craig Baldwin. Mission District, San Francisco, California.  Moviscop viewer on editing table. Stock Photo

Live looping foot pedal station. Boss RC-20XL phrase recorder, Boss VE-20 vocal processor, Behringer Xenyx 1002B analog audio mixer with XLR cables. Stock Photo

Airplane wing over snowy earth in early morning, daybreak, dawn. Pastel earth and sky with pink horizon. Stock Photo

Woman wearing hand knit pink pussyhat in a sea of pink hats. 2019 Women's March, Anti-Trump Protest, Market Street, San Francisco, California, USA. Stock Photo

• Love 1

10 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Sure thanks for your interest. I'll just paste them here. Three were from the 2019 San Francisco Women's March, two are Audio/Visual tech related.

Three sales in the last few weeks and am suddenly getting a zoom every few days.

I have heard that frequent uploads leads to high placement in the searches. My photos tend to show up high in searches, but not always. I use lots of keywords and shoot a variety of topics.

Great sales, particularly the indigenous women march, the movie rolls, and the airplane view is neat too.

How do you know about where in a search your photo appears? I check the keyword(s) used to find my photo, however, that can be only one of the words of someone's search, which may have included multiple words, adding many more photos to the search results.

11 minutes ago, AlexG said:

Great sales, particularly the indigenous women march, the movie rolls, and the airplane view is neat too.

How do you know about where in a search your photo appears? I check the keyword(s) used to find my photo, however, that can be only one of the words of someone's search, which may have included multiple words, adding many more photos to the search results.

I just do general searches on intuitive words and see if my photos show up. For instance, if I search Women's March 2019, I have three photos on the first page, and one in the second row out of 15,862 photos. Or if I do "superbloom", mine is the 7th photo on the top out of over 3,000. If I search "goats", however, I can't find any of my photos. If I search "city goats", I have four on the first search page out of 4,009 photos. Not very scientific, but it's good to see some prominent placement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2020 at 08:40, The Blinking Eye said:

I just do general searches on intuitive words and see if my photos show up. For instance, if I search Women's March 2019, I have three photos on the first page, and one in the second row out of 15,862 photos. Or if I do "superbloom", mine is the 7th photo on the top out of over 3,000. If I search "goats", however, I can't find any of my photos. If I search "city goats", I have four on the first search page out of 4,009 photos. Not very scientific, but it's good to see some prominent placement.

This, and if it isn't appearing as high as I think it should, I try to tweak the keywords/caption until it does. Sometimes you get lucky and manage to shoot a subject that is not very well covered, but potentially has a broad range of uses. Some images where everything worked out just right can also put you ahead where there are thousands of other images of the same subject - I once spent four or so hours removing power lines and every conceivable blemish from an image and was really happy with the output.

Purely anecdotal, but I think sales do affect how highly your images appear as one of mine which has sold twice now appears high up when the generic search term to find it is used, and it never did before. So it's a bit like reddit, you see upvoted posts more often because they're upvoted, and then they're more likely to get upvoted so they're more likely to be seen... you get the idea.

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/04/2020 at 03:27, The Blinking Eye said:

Well, I guess it's about time to have my portfolio reviewed. It's been just over a year since I began uploading regularly. I wanted to feel my way into a bit and actually have something to be reviewed before posting here. I have experimented with photographing various things, and establishing my personal boundaries with regard to choice of subject matter. Decided I didn't want to shoot photos just to sell them, and would only take photos if I found something beautiful in them. See my "Does stock photography change your eye" thread regarding that. I have gone from being a prolific iphone camera hobbyist to investing in a mirrorless Sony a6000 and trying to up my game and perhaps sell a few photos professionally. I do think this practice has evolved my photography and I find it as thrilling as ever to produce and/or edit images on a near daily basis. I give credit to the very generous helpers here in this forum for any and all of my successes.  I was sort of "shooting in the dark" there at the beginning. I do not yet have much control over the camera and have relied heavily on auto settings.

I continue to ponder where to bring it all next, what to do with my photos, what to shoot and for whom.

Let me know if you have any tips or insights, or ideas about how to move forward. Thanks a bunch!

Kristin aka The Blinking Eye

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/kristincato

Very beautiful gallery, Kristin. Good luck

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...