Coming Tech Problems?

Yesterday the Apple Stores closed. This morning my Magic Mouse 2, fully charged and plugged in, refuses to be recognised by my MacBook Pro. It had been working fine. 

I'm hoping everyone at Alamy is well and stays well. But I wonder if they will be closing offices or slowing things down? 

Edo, check the battery contacts on your mouse, if you haven’t already. I’ve had problems with my wireless Apple mouse in the past. Finally figured out there was some corrosion on one of the contacts. Works fine now, though I occasionally still have to clean off the contact with a bit of alcohol. A bit of hand sanitizer works, too. 😀

Edo - you are right. Cecile is using the original, the newer ones that charge through USB are way better in terms of not losing the connection. In fact it never happens to me anymore whereas it used to disconnect a lot with the original one. 

Ssometimes it can be the simplest things so check the following: 

1. Bluetooth is turned on (System Preferences)

2. The mouse itself it turned on (little button on the back)

3. The mouse is not still plugged into the computer. This might be the problem in fact as you say it is plugged in. It won't work plugged in, it has to be disconnected. Probably the same if you are charging it by a mains adapter.

If none of that applies, then open System Preferences, Mouse and at the bottom right hit set up bluetooth mouse and redo it from scratch. Hope this helps.

Edited by MDM

Mouse2 sounds a lot better than the old Mouse. My recent one (still a Mouse1) is miles better than the older one which fell off the system so frequently that I kept an even older one as a spare plugged in via USB so I could finish a task without ripping the old battery mouse apart and generally abusing it until it started working again. Little bits of folded up contact-spacer foil dropping about! I just had to change the batteries in my new one and it really did not want to come apart which may be a good thing. Apple wants good money to replace these things! Pretty well any wired mouse would work as a short term fix. Of course you won't have many spare USB ports

Edited by Robert M Estall

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Cecile, am I wrong? It sounds like you have the Magic Mouse 1? On the 2, the back doesn't operand I see nothing to clean. 

Ah, yes, you’re correct,  Edo. Old computer....old mouse with batteries.

Ah so -- I had Bluetooth on and the mouse turned on and NOT plugged into the computer. So I turned Bluetooth off and then on again -- and now it's working! I learned to do that off-on thing with WiFi in Brooklyn. 

Gracie!

• Love 2

59 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

Mouse2 sounds a lot better than the old Mouse. My recent one (still a Mouse1) is miles better than the older one which fell off the system so frequently that I kept an even older one as a spare plugged in via USB so I could finish a task without ripping the old battery mouse apart and generally abusing it until it started working again. Little bits of folded up contact-spacer foil dropping about! I just had to change the batteries in my new one and it really did not want to come apart which may be a good thing. Apple wants good money to replace these things! Pretty well any wired mouse would work as a short term fix. Of course you won't have many spare USB ports

I threw that Magic Mouse 1 in the bin. Batteries never seemed to make proper contact. Version 2 is definitely much better but I do find problems of charging it fully for some reason.

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ah so -- I had Bluetooth on and the mouse turned on and NOT plugged into the computer. So I turned Bluetooth off and then on again -- and now it's working! I learned to do that off-on thing with WiFi in Brooklyn. 

Gracie!

Nothing like a good reboot. I wish I could do that to myself right now 😀

57 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

What I like about these Magic Mice in contrast to the old type of wired mouse is that they can also be used trackpad style so I can scroll by sliding my finger along the top of it, move quickly around an image and so on. I have had mine for over 3 years and it is still working properly. They are expensive to replace for sure. 

I quit using Apple's mice years ago - mine ate batteries too fast.  The battery cover on my wife's iMac mouse is even difficult to unlatch.

I unplugged mine and use USB mice on both my IMac and Dell W10 slim desktop box.  

On 17/03/2020 at 16:40, geogphotos said:

I threw that Magic Mouse 1 in the bin. Batteries never seemed to make proper contact. Version 2 is definitely much better but I do find problems of charging it fully for some reason.

Had my Magic Mouse 1 for 7 years, still works perfectly and has given no trouble in the past.

Yes I use it all the time, except when writing prose etc. Much prefer it to using keyboard shortcuts when working in LR, PS, etc.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell