New search filters?

Hi All,

Had some new search filters show up today which I haven't seen before, and not in the list of abbreviations on the right of the page .

[WOP] which is understood, but also [front] and [rear] . One was california beach [WOP] [front]. The other was california beach [WOP] [front] [rear]

Any idea what the searcher is looking for??

Webby

2 minutes ago, Webby said:

Hi All,

Had some new search filters show up today which I haven't seen before, and not in the list of abbreviations on the right of the page .

[WOP] which is understood, but also [front] and [rear] . One was california beach [WOP] [front]. The other was california beach [WOP] [front] [rear]

Webby

Those have been around for a while and are picked up from the tags you use. Usually they relate to searches for people or buildings

Pearl

As I understand it, the square brackets define a search on one of the special terms, rather than on the tags themselves. Otherwise the search would just be for the tag "wop". Don't know about front and rear, though. Those you'd expect to be tags.

Incidentally,  a search for "france" returns a result when only "french" (as in fries) is in the tags. It only happens in my AIM though, i can't replicate it in the library search. Odd.

Edited by spacecadet

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Incidentally,  a search for "france" returns a result when only "french" (as in fries) is in the tags. It only happens in my AIM though, i can't replicate it in the library search. Odd.

Would you happen to have France in the location field? The location field is searchable in AIM only, which is very confusing. I've been caught several times.

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Would you happen to have France in the location field? The location field is searchable in AIM only, which is very confusing. I've been caught several times.

Well spotted.

It's a slide scan and I've never used location, but that camera had GPS, and the last place it had been switched on outdoors was evidently in France, so that  went to the metadata. Never something I did consciously.

Interestingly the setting is for Calais- I haven't been there since 1995, so the GPS was off by 20 miles- I would have been in Dunkerque.

Edited by spacecadet

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Well spotted.

It's a slide scan and I've never used location, but that camera had GPS, and the last place it had been switched on outdoors was evidently in France so that reading went to the metadata. Never something I did consciously.

Interestingly the setting is for Calais- I haven't been there since 1995. So the GPS was off by 20 miles- I would have been in Dunkerque. I think I'll leave it. But there will be others.

Mystery solved.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Webby said:

Hi All,

Webby

viewpoint. so if the camera facing in from the water toward the beach, is that the "front", or "rear"?  

UvZpENQ.gif

22 minutes ago, Webby said:

ah, hadn't used the viewpoint tab before. That explains the square brackets. But as you say...how does the search engine know? And what is the veiw from? 

As I said I think the search engine knows from the tags you put in.  Back is interpreted as rear so perhaps that is one of your tags also.

Pearl

I had a recent search on Zambia [back]. It was a rear view of passengers boarding a plane at Livingstone Airport. I wonder (as so often) what the searcher wanted?!

BTW, I've just noticed that Livingstone Airport was renamed 'Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport' in 2017; my pic was taken in 2009. Should I add 'Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport' to the keywords?

5 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I had a recent search on Zambia [back]. It was a rear view of passengers boarding a plane at Livingstone Airport. I wonder (as so often) what the searcher wanted?!

BTW, I've just noticed that Livingstone Airport was renamed 'Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport' in 2017; my pic was taken in 2009. Should I add 'Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport' to the keywords?

Why not put "(now called Harry Mwanga Nkumbula airport)" in the caption?

Mark

• Like 1