Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
geogphotos

Nested galleries on photo sites

Recommended Posts

One major drawback for me is that Photoshelter does not have nested galleries on offer for its Classic website template.

 

Although I am probably too committed to Photoshelter to change horse midstream I am curious to know which if any of the photo hosting sites offer this feature.

 

As an example, I want a collection or top hierarchy gallery called 'Suffolk Churches' shown as thumbnail on my homepage, I want it to be clickable to open up a list of galleries of all the Suffolk churches I have images of, (or possibly four options such as East/West/North/South Suffolk) and then each of those gallery thumbnails to be clickable to view the individual images.

 

Does Zenfolio or Smugmug or any other offer this? I did try to answer this myself at Zenfolio but couldn't see this feature listed amongst all the others.

 

I have contacted Photoshelter and they have made some noises about this being a future feature.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zenfolio does it...You can put galleries into Groups.

 

 

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Zenfolio does it...You can put galleries into Groups.

 

 

Phil

 

Thanks Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Photoshelter does not have nested galleries on offer for its Classic website template.

They do have it for two of their latest responsive templates, but I daresay that they've told you that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

They do have it for two of their latest responsive templates, but I daresay that they've told you that. 

 

Yes they did tell me that but I dislike the style of those responsive templates and want to stick with the Classic one which I can easily add text to and which is not beyond my skill level.

 

Thanks Harry.  

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes they did tel me that

Cheers Ian, Elements & Marquee in case anyone else is interested, I'm liking what I see of Photoshelter so far, very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Cheers Ian, Elements & Marquee in case anyone else is interested, I'm liking what I see of Photoshelter so far, very helpful.

 

 

SEO has become a big problem, but they are promising to fix it. At the moment my images are totally invisible - not so great for a website provider!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Cheers Ian, Elements & Marquee in case anyone else is interested, I'm liking what I see of Photoshelter so far, very helpful.

 

These were the two examples that were provided. Both  very nice but not right for me. I just want something more old-fashioned and straightforward where I can write some text on the homepage.

 

Marquee: https://jaymeburrows.photoshelter.com/index
Element: https://www.darrencarroll.com/index
 

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harry, there is a referral scheme which gives some discount if you do decide to join up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I just want something more old-fashioned and straightforward where I can write some text on the homepage.

Yes, I'm sure that you have entirely different requirements and a very large archive, I'm just looking for a showcase more or less so I'm happy with Elements I think. I hope they sort your SEO out, it is one of the features that they promote so it's strange that it's broken. To someone new to Photoshelter like I am it's quite strange seeing the contrast between the older classic sites and the new responsive ones, and the link back to the 'archive' from the new sites is a little clunky.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Harry, there is a referral scheme which gives some discount if you do decide to join up. 

Yes, I think I will be shortly but I haven't yet so I will be in touch. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, I think I will be shortly but I haven't yet so I will be in touch. Thanks.

 

 

I think clicking on the 'Powered by Photoshelterr' at the bottom of the page works but don't know for sure. They do issue a code which I think gives you$10 off and $15 off my next subscription. Not much I know.

 

www.geographyphotos.com

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My own site was originally hosted by Zenfolio and had great gallery features.
The gallery holding images could be randomised as could the sub gallery ones, so it was different images every time you browsed.
I changed to Photodeck which has better licencing and sales features, plus much better SEO, but I changed the gallery setup to just a single stock gallery and have since decided it's not what I wanted, so I will be changing back to multiple galleries again soon.
Overall I much prefer Photodeck... BUT, it's expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mickfly said:

My own site was originally hosted by Zenfolio and had great gallery features.
The gallery holding images could be randomised as could the sub gallery ones, so it was different images every time you browsed.
I changed to Photodeck which has better licencing and sales features, plus much better SEO, but I changed the gallery setup to just a single stock gallery and have since decided it's not what I wanted, so I will be changing back to multiple galleries again soon.
Overall I much prefer Photodeck... BUT, it's expensive.

 

 

Thanks for the information Mick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top Cashback are offering 39% for Zenfolio online purchase of a pro subscription.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2020 at 14:50, geogphotos said:

 

Thanks Phil

Yes, if you want to see what it could look like have a look at my Zenfolio-powered website.

www.sallyanderson.co.uk

Happy to offer a discount referral code to anyone who wants to sign up with Zenfolio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From dialogue with Photoshelter it seems that I really don't have much choice but to move to one of the 'Responsive' templates. They are doing a lot of development work and not surprisingly that is focused on the most modern parts of the site rather than the older bits.

 

So I have made a tentative start today using the Element template. 

 

I have one nested Collection in the galleries section called 'Suffolk churches' - just a start. 

 

There is a lot of work to do creating more galleries and writing gallery descriptions. Also merging galleries together into collections so that it is all a bit neater and organised.

 

Haven't yet figured out how to link with my Blog  - as was said elsewhere they integrate with Wordpress.org but not Wordpress.com  - there must be a way of just setting up a simple link but have done enough for today. 

 

www.geographyphotos.com

 

Don't expect too much.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

So I have made a tentative start today using the Element template. 

Looking good to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Looking good to me

 

 

You are kind.

 

Looks c rap to me! Especially that the featured gallery doesn't show captions for each image. That's why I am only having one. I expect I'll make a new featured gallery and have it as a portfolio of varied pics.

 

To me these all seems to be too much about style over content, with photos taking over too much and causing confusion.

 

Anyway, as I say, no real choice.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

From dialogue with Photoshelter it seems that I really don't have much choice but to move to one of the 'Responsive' templates. They are doing a lot of development work and not surprisingly that is focused on the most modern parts of the site rather than the older bits.

 

So I have made a tentative start today using the Element template. 

 

I have one nested Collection in the galleries section called 'Suffolk churches' - just a start. 

 

There is a lot of work to do creating more galleries and writing gallery descriptions. Also merging galleries together into collections so that it is all a bit neater and organised.

 

Haven't yet figured out how to link with my Blog  - as was said elsewhere they integrate with Wordpress.org but not Wordpress.com  - there must be a way of just setting up a simple link but have done enough for today. 

 

www.geographyphotos.com

 

Don't expect too much.

 

I like the looks of that. My PS website is in need of an entire overhaul, but I've been procrastinating. I've also been reluctant to try the new templates. However, you're spurring me on. At this point, I don't have much to lose.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian, I notice that you don't have the e-commerce option on your PS website. Any reason for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Ian, I notice that you don't have the e-commerce option on your PS website. Any reason for that?

 

 

I should have that. You mean the ability to purchase downloads. I've done a sort of ersatz simplified RM editorial deal using their RF label ( because I don't know how to change it) and find the normal RM calculator wildly over-priced. It should be £25 for editorial commercial use ( at the moment - it's all a mess)

 

But you will only come across this if you go the Galleries. There's an 'Add to Cart' option when you view a single image.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Especially that the featured gallery doesn't show captions for each image

You can have captions but I guess you know that, two separate fields as I remember. Have you considered discreet watermarks, that seems quite easy to implement in PS, a feature that I like and may use.

 

The two videos, 102 & 202, here,  explain a great deal.

 

...also the video on Joe McNally uses Elements, though his site is now 'East' I think.

 

 

Edited by Harry Harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

I should have that. You mean the ability to purchase downloads. I've done a sort of ersatz simplified RM editorial deal using their RF label ( because I don't know how to change it) and find the normal RM calculator wildly over-priced. It should be £25 for commercial use ( at the moment - its all a mess)

 

Yes, that's what I mean. I've set my prices at 40% of the fotoquote prices, which seems pretty much in line with today's pricing. Not that it makes much difference these days. I agree that the new templates are all about eye-candy rather than usefulness. Sign of the times I suppose. I've neglected my PS site for quite some time now while I hum and haw about whether or not it's worth the cost any longer. Still not sure that it is...

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.