Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
geogphotos

Nested galleries on photo sites

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

You can have captions but I guess you know that, two separate fields as I remember. Have you considered discreet watermarks, that seems quite easy to implement in PS, a feature that I like and may use.

 

The two videos, 102 & 202, here,  explain a great deal.

 

 

 

Thanks. I'll check those videos out too. However, my PS site may be beyond redemption at this point. It's a total mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

the new templates are all about eye-candy rather than usefulness

I was thinking that the 'Archive' section might still offer everything you have in the Classic template?

Edited by Harry Harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry Harrison said:

I was thinking that the 'Archive' section might still offer everything you have in the Classic template.

 

Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

I might be looking at it too simplistically but I was seeing it as the Galleries being the showcase, shopfront if you like, to the rest of the library (if you have one) but the 'Archive' is where all the images reside and you can of course choose whether they are visible or not, or appear in galleries or not. The responsiveness of the 'front end' is quite impressive (grab a window and resize) and I would hope that they've got the mobile view sorted as well.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

You can have captions but I guess you know that, two separate fields as I remember. Have you considered discreet watermarks, that seems quite easy to implement in PS, a feature that I like and may use.

 

The two videos, 102 & 202, here,  explain a great deal.

 

...also the video on Joe McNally uses Elements, though his site is now 'East' I think.

 

 

 

 

What I mean is that those images - the stained glass ones by Henry Holiday do have captions and metadata - but it doesn't show on the homepage. So you don't actually get to know what you are being directed look at. Which to my editorial type mind seems wrong. 

 

Yes, I'll have to select images for the homepage as a Portfolio and then put everything else in the Galleries section

 

 

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've changed the order of the navigation so that 'Galleries' is top of the list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

but it doesn't show on the homepage

Yes, I see. The home page image cannot display a caption, at least I've never seen one that does. Once in a gallery then you can have two levels of caption/description drawn from the IPTC. Might be worth suggesting to PS that it could have in an update, seems logical to me as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, I see. The home page image cannot display a caption, at least I've never seen one that does. Once in a gallery then you can have two levels of caption/description drawn from the IPTC. Might be worth suggesting to PS that it could have in an update, seems logical to me as well.

 

have done so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still haven't taken the plunge into the new templates. I see that info on the "About" and custom pages doesn't transfer, which is rather inconvenient. I have links on those pages, so I guess I'll have to copy the HTML. Does that work out OK? It has probably been about ten years since I set up my PS website. Consequently, I need to rethink the whole thing at this point. Procrastinating... 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2020 at 20:16, geogphotos said:

 

have done so.

 

 

Harry,

 

This feature does exist. I have now learned how to switch in on so that the homepage gallery images have captions/download/purchase options.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Still haven't taken the plunge into the new templates. I see that info on the "About" and custom pages doesn't transfer, which is rather inconvenient. I have links on those pages, so I guess I'll have to copy the HTML. Does that work out OK? It has probably been about ten years since I set up my PS website. Consequently, I need to rethink the whole thing at this point. Procrastinating... 😐

 

I didn't copy any HTML. My About information seemed to transfer over okay.

 

Perhaps copy the text from your Custom Pages somewhere and then paste once you have created new pages in Site Builder. Creating and naming new pages is easy.

 

Overall it is all much easier than I had feared. In the past I had a few half-hearted tries but didn't really give it a chance.

 

So far so good and I'm pleased to be doing something new and exploring the options.

 

www.geographyphotos.com

 

Still don't expect too much...

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

 

This feature does exist. I have now learned how to switch in on so that the homepage gallery images have captions/download/purchase options.

Ian, I wonder if we're talking at cross purposes, as I understand it the Home page image is selected from whichever galleries you choose, or I suppose it could be a single image. For me that doesn't have caption information, it's 3 chilldren on the Fox Glacier, New Zealand. If one goes to the gallery from which it is drawn then you see caption information.  I've not seen any site that has caption information on the Home page, the 'landing' page if you like - or maybe I need to clear my cache or something....

 

I'm glad it's working out for you, it'll probably be February before I'm ready to press the button and get started on mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

 

I didn't copy any HTML. My About information seemed to transfer over okay.

 

Perhaps copy the text from your Custom Pages somewhere and then paste once you have created new pages in Site Builder. Creating and naming new pages is easy.

 

Overall it is all much easier than I had feared. In the past I had a few half-hearted tries but didn't really give it a chance.

 

So far so good and I'm pleased to be doing something new and exploring the options.

 

www.geographyphotos.com

 

Still don't expect too much...

 

Thanks. Do you like the white background? I find that text and images stick out more against a black background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks. Do you like the white background? I find that text and images stick out more against a black background.

 

Haven't got that far yet! 

 

Personally not too keen on black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Ian, I wonder if we're talking at cross purposes, as I understand it the Home page image is selected from whichever galleries you choose, or I suppose it could be a single image. For me that doesn't have caption information, it's 3 chilldren on the Fox Glacier, New Zealand. If one goes to the gallery from which it is drawn then you see caption information.  I've not seen any site that has caption information on the Home page, the 'landing' page if you like - or maybe I need to clear my cache or something....

 

I'm glad it's working out for you, it'll probably be February before I'm ready to press the button and get started on mine.

 

Previoulsy you could click through to the thumbs, then click to get a big picture and still not have a caption. 

 

Now the caption is there for each full sized image and also a shopping cart.

 

As you say not bothered about a caption on the actual homepage image - which is only there temporarily 'cos I wanted to show my kids! ( not a great photo!)

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

Haven't got that far yet! 

 

Personally not too keen on black.

 

The links to the left of your homepage picture are difficult to see/read on my monitor, which might just say something about my eyesight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

The links to the left of your homepage picture are difficult to see/read on my monitor, which might just say something about my eyesight.

 

Any better now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Previoulsy you could click through to the thumbs, then click to get a big picture and still not have a caption. 

Right oh, yes, no problem with it not on the home page, it would probaby be a distraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

Any better now?

 

Yes, they are darker. I'd use a larger font if possible, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Yes, they are darker. I'd use a larger font if possible, though.

 

 

Righto, that's my next mission.

 

I could be some time.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

Righto, that's my next mission.

 

I could be some time.....

 

Not so easy. Maybe a bit bigger but can't see font size numerals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The newest "new" templates that were announced are now not going to be out for at least another 6 months apparently. The existing "new" (responsive from a few years back) templates are a bit of a oddity IMHO, the ability to "customize" them is virtually non existent which can be frustrating, esp at the price they charge.

 

I have noticed that many of their users have gone with using a seperate Wordpress/Wix/Squarespace frontend and then just used Photoshelter as an archive component (which is what I do).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian, by nested do you mean putting an image in a collection or a gallery inside a gallery? If so let me know how you did it as I have not been able to figure that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

Ian, by nested do you mean putting an image in a collection or a gallery inside a gallery? If so let me know how you did it as I have not been able to figure that.

 

 

Yes, this is the sort of thing that I wanted to achieve. I have not quite figured out how to do it yet!

 

As an example, I want a collection or top hierarchy gallery called 'Suffolk Churches' shown as thumbnail on my homepage, I want it to be clickable to open up a list of galleries of all the Suffolk churches I have images of, (or possibly four options such as East/West/North/South Suffolk) and then each of those gallery thumbnails to be clickable to view the individual images

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, geogphotos said:

 

 

Yes, this is the sort of thing that I wanted to achieve. I have not quite figured out how to do it yet!

 

As an example, I want a collection or top hierarchy gallery called 'Suffolk Churches' shown as thumbnail on my homepage, I want it to be clickable to open up a list of galleries of all the Suffolk churches I have images of, (or possibly four options such as East/West/North/South Suffolk) and then each of those gallery thumbnails to be clickable to view the individual images

 

As far as I can figure their database hierarchy was written top down, so one can have "collections - galleries - images" but one cannot move an image in the hierarchy (or I have not been able to figure it yet), my problem is wildlife taxonomy - i.e. "mammals-big cats-species" I want to be able to mix images and galleries at the lower level so if I have say one picture of a fire cat that would in the species gallery level But if I have 5 pics of a indochinese tiger then I want to have just one pic of an indochinese tiger (in species gallery) thats actually a gallery node and own you click you would see the five pics. SO I am stuck trying to come fit how I want it to display within their structure rather than my own.

Lets also hope they sort out their SEO problems as well as that continues to frustrate me as well.

 

OTH Archive

Edited by Panthera tigris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.