Skrill payment option

In light of the upcoming changes to Alamy's payment threshold and payment policies, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread about Skrill since it is one of the "free" payment methods available to contributors. Hopefully, those already using the Skrill option for Alamy payments can enlighten the rest of us.

I just looked at the Skrill website and have some questions.

It seems that you have to get a "Skrill card" and pay an annual fee of 10 euros. Is that correct? Or is the card optional -- i.e. can you use Skrill without applying for and paying for a card?

Also, is it best to set "currency" to USD (US$) even if you don't live in the US in order to avoid conversion fees being charged by Skrill?

Thanks.

Looks like it costs you €2.95 or €3.50 to withdraw to a bank account.

https://www.skrill.com/en/personal/fees/can/#countrySelect

It looks as if you might be correct. If so, Paypal is probably a better deal -- no charge for transfers to bank over US$150 and $0.50 (in Canada) for transfers under $150.

Still can't understand the "Skrill card" business, though.

The plot thickens...

I am based in the UK and have a USD deposit account. I suffer no bank charges other than when I withdraw money. It works for me.

dov

How much do you get charged by Skrill when you withdraw money? Also, you mention "bank charges" when you withdraw money. What are those?

Thanks

Alamy wrote the following: "If you’re based in the UK or US and get paid by bank transfer, or get paid via Skrill we’ll continue to absorb all the transaction fees that go with paying thousands of photographers."

I find this wording confusing. Does this mean that anyone who is not based in the UK or US cannot use Skrill as a "free" payment option?

I think so. I signed up and have an account and no card and no fees that I know of, but given the fee they charge to withdraw funds and transfer them to your own bank, I don't think I will be using them for Alamy or anything else. I will continue to receive my pay through PayPal.

It seems to me that a Skrill account and receiving money is really free.

BUT: Than the money in on the Skrill account only, where it is of little use for me. So I have to transfer from Skrill to may bank account, and this costs 2.95 Euro for example. That is even more than the 3.13$ Alamy will charge to transfer to my bank account.

Everyone on his own now, John...  :)

Back to Napoleonic times..

I wouldn't know about this card - as I, as long as I am still here, will use either my PayPal account or the bank transfer I have been using up to these imposed duties. I won't sign up for the Shrill account.

Everyone on his own now, John...  :)

Back to Napoleonic times..

I wouldn't know about this card - as I, as long as I am still here, will use either my PayPal account or the bank transfer I have been using up to these imposed duties. I won't sign up for the Shrill account.

Skrill doesn't sound too appetizing to me (but I'm sure it's good with tartar sauce), so I think I'll just switch to using my PayPal account. Alamy payouts will probably be lower with the new $100 threshold, so the PP fees should be considerably less than the bank transfer method,

Having to pay to get paid...  Now I remember why I don't subscribe to the myth of progress.

Don't forget, everyone, what James said in his latest video on the subject of new lower payouts:

...we'll be in a position by the end of this year to lower the payment threshold further and we'll be then doing it again in the first half of next year.

How this should affect (y)our decisions now, I really don't know...

Don't forget, everyone, what James said in his latest video on the subject of new lower payouts:

...we'll be in a position by the end of this year to lower the payment threshold further and we'll be then doing it again in the first half of next year.

How this should affect (y)our decisions now, I really don't know...

Personally, I hope this doesn't happen. If it does, PayPal seems to be the best option for those of us outside the UK and USA. The "free" Skrill option would probably end up being more expensive than PP for small amounts (say $50) due to the fee Skrill charges for transferring funds to your bank account. The ideal situation would be to let us choose our own thresholds IMO.

Of course you could allow the payments to accumulate and withdraw them when they reach a suitable amount.

+1

A LATE EDIT: Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood when I replied this. I read it as payments should be able to accumulate at Alamy - and not Skrill / PayPal. This would satisfy most non UK / US contributors, I think.

Funny really. A push for regular low payouts from alamy, additional charges added, then leave the payouts sitting at skrill to try to mitigate further damage.

Even funnier, some who were pushing for lower payouts now threaten to leave alamy. Those who never complained left with the mess.

Oh do I love this crowdsourcing...cheap-cheap-cheap-free-free-free-pay-pay-pay...move on...

Of course you could allow the payments to accumulate and withdraw them when they reach a suitable amount.

True, Paypal doesn't charge (at least not in Canada) if you withdraw US$150 or more to your bank account. However, even if the amount is under $150, there is only a $0.50 charge for each transfer to your account, which isn't a big deal. 

Funny really. A push for regular low payouts from alamy, additional charges added, then leave the payouts sitting at skrill to try to mitigate further damage.

Even funnier, some who were pushing for lower payouts now threaten to leave alamy. Those who never complained left with the mess.

Oh do I love this crowdsourcing...cheap-cheap-cheap-free-free-free-pay-pay-pay...move on...

That were no threats, I closed my account. 

I asked for a lower payout, I didnt ask for it to come at extra costs. 

As for Skrill, there are a few threads on MSG discussing Skrill, it seems its not really free, and cost more than PayPal. Alamy may absorb the transaction fee, but you will find out about all other cost quick enough. 

Cheers. 

That were no threats, I closed my account. 

I asked for a lower payout, I didnt ask for it to come at extra costs. 

As for Skrill, there are a few threads on MSG discussing Skrill, it seems its not really free, and cost more than PayPal. Alamy may absorb the transaction fee, but you will find out about all other cost quick enough. 

Cheers. 

Unfortunately, having to pay to get paid is becoming the new reality for freelancers of all kinds. I find that PayPal works out well enough with my Fine Art America and PhotoShelter websites. PP fees aren't excessive (in Canada, anyway), and the deposit/transfer times are fairly short. Skrill definitely sounds like it could get more costly in the long run, especially if the payout threshold drops again in the new year.

Archived