Brexit. Crossing borders with professional equipment

On 05/10/2019 at 10:07, Tony Collins said:

EGBSs9LXUAA1NUc?format=jpg&name=900x900

Just the legal shenanigans of Brexit, and once out, it'll just be the same as going anywhere else outside the EU.
As many others here have,  I've taken full kit & laptops around numerous countries without any issue - there's no reason to imagine it'll be any different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scenebyrail said:

Looking at your list, did you have any question/issues in China & Vietnam at customs?  Most of my gear looks 'used' as well...

No one batted an eyelid in either. As you noted, my gear definitely looks "used" . . . even my brand new machine has a tatty old camera strap, and the lenses all have been given the (visually) "battered and bruised" treatment.

Back in the 1980s I was questioned at Heathrow (on my way in) about whether the camera gear I was carrying was new or old. Back in those days I didn't deliberately 'age' my gear, but I was easily able to convince her it was indeed old, and I was allowed to continue no problem. And once in Bali one customs officer was highly amused by my screw-in filters, handing them around to his mates for a very fingerprinty look-through. At the end of it all he then asked "wartawan? jurnalis?" I laughed and told him no, I was not a journalist, just a tourist, isn't it lovely weather we're having etc etc., which he cheerfully accepted.

The only similar experience, though not involving customs, was at the Missouri memorial in Hawaii, but that's a whole different kettle of fish

DD

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dyn Llun said:

An addendum to my previous post about my customs and carnet experiences in Ireland when the UK was in the EU and the republic wasn't... Even though things seemed laid back criss-crossing borders then, a few months after one of my trips a customs officer turned up, unannounced, at my studio and wanted to see the items listed on the carnet. He was making sure I hadn't 'imported them illegally' into the republic. He just selected some examples from the very long list, checked the serial numbers on the carnet against the kit in my studio and went away happy.

As with some previous contributors posts, I have never had any problems in any other country and I sometimes travel with a lot more than a camera bag and a couple of Leicas. Big roll-along cases with 10"x 8" equipment and big tripod etc. Never a problem.

Ireland and the UK joined the EC at same time on January 1st 1973. There was never a time when the UK was part of the EC and Ireland wasn't. You must be thinking about a time before both countries joined.

On 05/10/2019 at 10:53, Steve F said:

Say you're a hobbyist and show them your Instagram account?

Might depend on how you use Instagram but  it is not just for hobbyists or funky phonography. These days it is a serious marketing and advertising tool for photographers (as well as many other types of business).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeCee said:

Just the legal shenanigans of Brexit, and once out, it'll just be the same as going anywhere else outside the EU.
As many others here have,  I've taken full kit & laptops around numerous countries without any issue - there's no reason to imagine it'll be any different.

Shenanigans - great word for the absolute mess that may be just be about to occur.  A barrel of laughs no doubt for people living near the Northern Irish border and needing to cross regularly for work - never mind the vast amount of cross border trade that currently runs seamlessly. Another minor brexity hiccup that nobody thought to mention in the run up to 2016 opinion poll ( Ken Clark's terminology)

8 hours ago, TeeCee said:

There is every reason to imagine it would be different- we would be outside the customs union. Unless you think there's no reason to believe that EU states would apply their respective customs law- why wouldn't they? Because you don't want them to?

And pursuant to my earlier question, can you explain why having to pay £325 for a carnet is a good idea?

• Love 1

On 06/10/2019 at 20:05, spacecadet said:

There is every reason to imagine it would be different- we would be outside the customs union. Unless you think there's no reason to believe that EU states would apply their respective customs law- why wouldn't they? Because you don't want them to?

And pursuant to my earlier question, can you explain why having to pay £325 for a carnet is a good idea?

Massively surprised that people think this is an ideal forum to get tetchy about Brexit, I'd have thought there were far more suitable places for that.
My point is simply that we'll be in exactly the same position as every other non-EU country. Travel into EU countries will (like as not) be no different than travel to Japan, India, the USA etc etc. I'm entirely unqualified to answer your carnet question, as I expect most here are.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeCee said:

Massively surprised that people think this is an ideal forum to get tetchy about Brexit, I'd have thought there were far more suitable places for that.
My point is simply that we'll be in exactly the same position as every other non-EU country. Travel into EU countries will (like as not) be no different than travel to Japan, India, the USA etc etc. I'm entirely unqualified to answer your carnet question, as I expect most here are.

You've already changed from saying that travel to the EU would be "no different"  after Brexit to saying that it will be no different that travel outside the EU is now.

My question is why you thought it was a good idea. No technical knowledge needed.

It's now my policy to call out people who say brexit would make "no difference", whatever the forum.  It's clear from the Government advice that it will make a very great deal of difference to many people. I and many others are distraught about the future of our country and its place in the world and to call that deep concern "tetchy" trivialises it.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 3

14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You've already changed from saying that travel to the EU would be "no different"  after Brexit to saying that it will be no different that travel outside the EU is now.

My question is why you thought it was a good idea. No technical knowledge needed.

Apologies then for my poor phraseology. In saying "no different", my intention was as in "no different to anywhere else in the world", i.e. the same as Japan, USA et al.
I thought this was entirely clear in my first sentence, as in " it'll just be the same as going anywhere else outside the EU. " Sorry if I didn't make this clearer, however I certainly didn't imply anything was (or was not) a good idea.

I've travelled a bit, probably not as much as many others, but when doing so, carted lots of kit around. As a precaution for customs purposes, I've taken receipts for my stuff to show it was bought in the UK. This is all that has been necessary in the past, expect it'll be just the same from hereon, but I'll need those receipts for travel within the EU too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I and many others are distraught about the future of our country and its place in the world and to call that deep concern "tetchy" trivialises it.

Not my red arrow, BTW...

No interest in discussing Brexit here, I trust this place to be one of the few Brexit free zones. Your concerns are both noted and correct, just (IMHO) aired on the wrong forum.

Edited by TeeCee
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, TeeCee said:

Apologies then for my poor phraseology. In saying "no different", my intention was as in "no different to anywhere else in the world", i.e. the same as Japan, USA et al.
I thought this was entirely clear in my first sentence, as in " it'll just be the same as going anywhere else outside the EU. " Sorry if I didn't make this clearer, however I certainly didn't imply anything was (or was not) a good idea.

I've travelled a bit, probably not as much as many others, but when doing so, carted lots of kit around. As a precaution for customs purposes, I've taken receipts for my stuff to show it was bought in the UK. This is all that has been necessary in the past, expect it'll be just the same from hereon, but I'll need those receipts for travel within the EU too.

one big difference is this will probably be the first time you have to figure out Schengen rules, even though you were not part of it.  Trust me, that is totally different that going to Japan

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

one big difference is this will probably be the first time you have to figure out Schengen rules, even though you were not part of it.  Trust me, that is totally different that going to Japan

As stated, there is more than enough Brexit debate here in the UK. Frankly, it's extremely hard to find somewhere - anywhere - without Brexit debate, and I'd sincerely hoped these forums would remain a Brexit Free Zone. However, it seems I am mistaken.

These documents are never asked for. Until the country you want to enter all of a sudden dislikes the country you're from. Or someone on the border thinks he (seldom she) can squeeze some money from you.

wim

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TeeCee said:

As stated, there is more than enough Brexit debate here in the UK. Frankly, it's extremely hard to find somewhere - anywhere - without Brexit debate, and I'd sincerely hoped these forums would remain a Brexit Free Zone. However, it seems I am mistaken.

yeah, no problem I'm in N.I. currently so understand.  Just as a foreigner myself i wanted to add the precision of the Schengen zone issue, which most people don't seem to realise makes it oddly different than Japan and the US.  Though in all fairness, USA is another thing altogether to travel to.  

9 hours ago, TeeCee said:

That's difficult to maintain when the thread is specifically about the impact of Brexit on contributors' travel arrangements.

Clarification appreciated.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

That's difficult to maintain when the thread is specifically about the impact of Brexit on contributors' travel arrangements.

Clarification appreciated.

A fair point, you're quite correct. My objection was in the broadening of this travel issue into a wider debate about Brexit, and meanderingemu's point was not off topic.

22 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

To the best of my knowledge, the Schengen issue itself appears not to be relevant - unless an individual has less than 15 months remaining on their passport. (UK passport checker here)
We are not due to join the list of countries to which a Schengen visa will be required, but will join the likes of the USA and Australia when travelling within the EU.

Edited by TeeCee