Noise, Out of focus Photo

42 minutes ago, MDM said:

Nonsense. You are living in a world of alternative facts. I have checked the crop Alamy put up against the the image you uploaded and they are identical at 100%. As I said before, you need to save the Alamy crop to disk, not take a screenshot. The evidence is there. It is sad indeed - this whole thread. https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/11966-noise-out-of-focus-photo/page/5/#

What are you on about 'save Alamy crop to disk '? Makes no sense.

• Dislike 3

Makes no sense to you it I guess but, if you right click on the cropped image of yours that Alamy posted, then you will have an option to save it to disk.  You can then open it in Elements and compare it to the full size jpeg you posted and you will see they are the same size (that is the objects in the image are the same size).

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Makes no sense to you it I guess but, if you right click on the cropped image of yours that Alamy posted, then you will have an option to save it to disk.  You can then open it in Elements and compare it to the full size jpeg you posted and you will see they are the same size (that is the objects in the image are the same size).

At the end of the day, I maintain the photo is neither out of focus or overly noisy. It is over sharpened, agreed. If you think otherwise, fair enough. We all have our own opinions. I think we are going round in circles, so I guess this will be the last I speak about this. Too many bullies on here.

• Dislike 7

9 hours ago, liverpix said:

And I repeat Alamy put up a 200% crop of my photo, not 100%.

Here's a screenshot of your image rendered at 100% in Photoshop together with how Alamy's posting appears on the my screen using Google Chrome set to 100%. Both windows were open at the same time and I simply took a screenshot. So on my system it appears Alamy have posted 100% crop. Not 200%.. It seems you must be seeing something different.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-11-at-08-33-41.jpg

If you are seeing Alamy's version as 2x larger, then your browser is rendering Alamy's image differently to that seen by most of us. Check which browser you are using and what its settings are. I ask again, are you using a Mac with retina display (maybe with display scaling enabled)?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Can we declare this topic closed? We can all agree the image is of appalling technical quality, most probably because it was shot as a JPEG with in-camera sharpening and contrast pushed to the maximum (though there are other possibilities). If I'm right, it's a common beginner's mistake - the OP now knows where he went wrong and will hopefully change his workflow.

Alex

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Here's a screenshot of your image rendered at 100% in Photoshop together with how Alamy's posting appears on the my screen using Google Chrome set to 100%. Both windows were open at the same time and I simply took a screenshot. So on my system it appears Alamy have posted 100% crop. Not 200%.. It seems you must be seeing something different.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-11-at-08-33-41.jpg

If you are seeing Alamy's version as 2x larger, then your browser is rendering Alamy's image differently to that seen by most of us. Check which browser you are using and what its settings are. I ask again, are you using a Mac with retina display (maybe with display scaling enabled)?

Mark

Mark - Forget about browsers. That is what confused him in the first place about the zoom factor. As I said above, just download the Alamy crop and compare in Photoshop with the full size image he uploaded. He hasn't argued with that so perhaps he has taken it on board.

6 hours ago, liverpix said:

At the end of the day, I maintain the photo is neither out of focus or overly noisy. It is over sharpened, agreed. If you think otherwise, fair enough. We all have our own opinions. I think we are going round in circles, so I guess this will be the last I speak about this. Too many bullies on here.

I was trying to be helpful in fact as a lot of others are so I hope I am not included in your bully tag. Why bother to continue? Well I am actually intrigued by the psychology of all this - denial of the obvious when the evidence is there for all to see is something I find fascinating. In the real world it has become all too common and I find it anything from laughable to very distressing, The fact is that your image is too fubared to tell if it was originally in focus.

Edited by MDM

15 minutes ago, MDM said:

Mark - Forget about browsers. That is what confused him in the first place about the zoom factor. As I said above, just download the Alamy crop and compare in Photoshop with the full size image he uploaded. He hasn't argued with that so perhaps he has taken it on board.

Agreed - But browsers and settings are relevant to what he will initially see on screen vs Photoshop.

I have a theory....

Maybe Liverpix is using a small high DPI display with pixels that are about 1/2 the size that most of us use. So when he looks at his image at 100% in PS he sees it at a magnification that is 50% of what most of us see. Hence the sharpening artefacts are far less noticeable to him. Just like if those with ordinary PPI displays view his image in PS at 50%.

However his browser is "high DPI aware" and so is doubling the size of things he looks at to make them easier to view/read. So Liverpix sees Alamy's crops 2x larger than PS at 100%

Liverpix. What is the resolution and size of your computer display?

Mark (still trying to be helpful)

Edited by M.Chapman

4 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

But browsers and settings are relevant to what he is seeing on screen vs Photoshop.

I have a theory....

Maybe Liverpix is using a small high DPI display with pixels that are about 1/2 the size that most of us use. So when he looks at his image at 100% in PS he sees it at a magnification that is 50% of what most of us see. Hence the sharpening artefacts are far less noticeable to him. Just like if those with ordinary PPI displays view his image in PS at 50%.

However his browser is "high DPI aware" and so is doubling the size of things he looks at to make them easier to view. So Liverpix sees Alamy's crops 2x larger than PS at 100%

Liverpix. What is the resolution and size of your computer display?

Mark (still trying to be helpful)

But he shouldn't be comparing what he sees in the browser with what he sees in Photoshop (Elements) for a valid comparison. Better to look at both in Photoshop side by side. And it's ppi not dpi 😀

Edited by MDM

5 hours ago, MDM said:

But he shouldn't be comparing what he sees in the browser with what he sees in Photoshop (Elements) for a valid comparison. Better to look at both in Photoshop side by side. 😊

Agreed, but if Liverpix sees Alamy's posting rendered in his browser as 2x larger than he sees it in PS at 100% I can appreciate where some of the confusion has originated.

When an image is rendered in a browser, does it use the DPI setting in the image and assume a 72 DPI  display? Or does it ignore this?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman