9.58 dollars for a photograph on the Guardian website

Please can anyone tell me if 9.58 dollars is a 'normal' amount for a photograph that appears in a book review on a website? The review has been up since Sunday 30 June 2013, the photograph was sold without any restrictions. I realise Alamy do special cheap rates for big clients, presumably The Guardian and the Observer are in this priviledged position. The 9.58 dollars was prior to alamy taking their 50%! I'm in the process of emailing alamy for clarification.

It's quite normal for the newspaper scheme unfortunately.

it's best not to trouble Alamy with queries on pricing. The contract gives Alamy the right to sell at whatever price it wishes.

If you don't want these sales, withdraw from the scheme, which I believe you can choose to do each April.

Unfortunately it is.......I tried to raise the interest on this forum in the various newspaper arrangements - including the unanswered question to 'James' which received a certain amount of support but no answer.

The arrangements are badly flawed with a single license making the image available to every title in the signed-up group, and further allowing the newspaper to 'syndicate' your images around the world for no additional fee. They have every right to syndicate the articles written by their journalists, but I fail to see that they have the right to syndicate your images for the purchase of a single license - the 'syndication' is a commercial arrangement whereby your images are included in the deal for which the newspaper receives payment -

Gave up on pressing it when it became swamped by CTR and first sales concerns........

My last Guardian sales were for $8.40 and I had to chase before they appeared in sales.

My understanding was that the newspaper scheme is based on a fixed price to them pa. They may then draw down as many images as they want.

Alamy then divides the images sold into the fixed global price to arrive at the price per sale.

The low value of the sales would suggest that the papers are using a lot more images than were anticipated in the price agreed.

If I have got it wrong please let me know.

dov

Dov's explanation is what I got when I asked Alamy.  My concern was that two images had different values for the same circulation etc.  I think the average figure is calculated per month, so many downloads and less money.

The newspaper scheme sells at that sort of rate because that is the ballpark rate offered by many of the other "subscription" type services ...  That's just the typical price for a stock newspaper image within the scheme

Of course you may opt out of the scheme and you may still make the sale, possibly at a higher rate, or you might not... (its more likely if the image you have is not easy to source via another route) .. but that's the gamble we all have to take...

... live news through the news feed is a different matter ...

The newspaper scheme sells at that sort of rate because that is the ballpark rate offered by many of the other "subscription" type services ...  That's just the typical price for a stock newspaper image within the scheme

Of course you may opt out of the scheme and you may still make the sale, possibly at a higher rate, or you might not... (its more likely if the image you have is not easy to source via another route) .. but that's the gamble we all have to take...

... live news through the news feed is a different matter ...

The newspapers that are in the scheme do not see the images that are not in the scheme.

wim

Archived