From Dacs?

Betty LaRue

Question

7 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Got an email from Dacs touting #FairShareForArtists. Did you get that email?

Is this something new or just support for what they are already doing?  I couldn’t make much sense of it.

Betty

So did I - and neither did I quite figure out the idea.

This explains the Artist's Retail Right.....  https://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/artists-resale-right/in-detail

It's a royalty when an artwork is re-sold by an art market professional,  but only if it sells for €1000 or more and is a "work of graphic or plastic art".  It does include photographs but i assume it means fine art prints.  So unless you are selling prints to people with more money than sense fine art connoisseurs, I don't think we need concern ourselves about it..!

Edited by Vincent Lowe

The reason the #fairshareforartists campaign has been launched is that not all auction houses and dealers who make second and subsequent art sales pass on the royalties to the collecting societies, as they are legally obliged to. This Guardian article explains.

It would seem that there is little direct impact on most of the photographers who contribute here, apart from perhaps a moral imperative to support fellow visual artists in obtaining money they are legally entitled to.

I knew you brainiacs would figure it out! 😊 I didn’t want to ignore something if it were important. 

My puny watercolors will never attain fame, and if they ever do, it’ll be 100 years after I’m gone, when they might sell for more than a dollar at a garage sale.

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I knew you brainiacs would figure it out! 😊 I didn’t want to ignore something if it were important. 

My puny watercolors will never attain fame, and if they ever do, it’ll be 100 years after I’m gone, when they might sell for more than a dollar at a garage sale.

You wouldn't be entitled to it- it's for sales in the EU to EU nationals.

If the UK leaves the EU it will cease to exist in the UK.

Edited by spacecadet