MG sports car ID?

John Morrison

Question

16 answers to this question

It's most definitely not an 18/80, and it's not a T-type either. In fact it doesn't match any of the cars listed on that site. I think it's too long for any of the Midget types because the extra bit of space between the door cutout and the rear wheel suggests it could be a 4-seater. It's close to the K or N Magnettes but doesn't match every feature. However, that list may not contain all models because the K2 Magnette is missing.

I think it's quite possible that it's not an MG at all.

Alan

1 minute ago, John Morrison said:

The only 'badge' was the MG logo...

Ah, OK. In that case I'm stumped because it doesn't match any of the known MG models. Maybe it's been doctored?

Alan

10 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Maybe it's been doctored?

I'll stick with 'open-topped MG sports car' and hope for the best. By the by, I wonder how 'doctored' came to mean 'adulterated' or 'changed'... usually for the worse...

I think Wim's right. Looks like this one:

vatourer.jpg

VA Tourer 1937 plate: 847 YUC
First registered in October 1937 to a Murray Chandler in Krugersdorp SA. It was taken off the road in the mid 1950s when the head gasket failed. It thereafter had little or no use until Mr Chandler died in 1990. The next owner was Roger Pearce, who set about a total "nut and bolt" rebuild. After nearly completing the car he sold it to a Ted Young, who finished the restoration. The car was completed in the mid 1990s and has enjoyed limited use, and careful ownership ever since. The car is in superb condition throughout. It is suggested that only around 147 of these beautiful tourer exist worldwide. Now with UK registration and waiting for a new life.

http://www.svwregister.co.uk/cars_classified.htm

Edited by DDoug
link

Yep: Sledmere House & Nostalgia Day on Google Images with license plate 847 YUC

Next time remember to take a picture of the license plate. Makes things so much easier.

wim

16 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Yep: Sledmere House & Nostalgia Day on Google Images with license plate 847 YUC

Next time remember to take a picture of the license plate. Makes things so much easier.

wim

I take my hat off to Wim 😉

andre

Edited by AM Chang
I found the same link