37 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm paying 700 euros a month rent in Seville. I would like to pay 550 to 600. I would be content in a furnished studio or 1 bedroom. Don't want to share a bathroom. My present lifestyle is a bit odd. I don't eat dinner. I have been doing 16/8 intermittent fasting for some time. I lost 70 lbs. and reversed diabetes 2.

My age will work against me when trying to rent a place. 

I'm not secretive with you or most people in the forum, but the forum is open to anyone, so I don't like giving specific numbers. 

That would be about £530. It is possible to rent 2 bed terrace houses for less than that in parts of the UK. Whether you would want to live there is another matter. I did see a 1 bed flat for £368/month but do not have details except it was in Burnley. So it is possible.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

26 minutes ago, Shergar said:

You are going to be stuck in your home for weeks during the UK winter, have to deal with icy wet streets while freezing  your nuts off  and your heating bills will screw you. How about Morocco Ed. Its on my list.

Winters in the UK are generally getting warmer. Of course there is always the possibility of a BEAST from the EAST again.

Allan

Ed 

You could end up paying a lot less than 700 Euro a month here if you get on the HAP scheme. All landlords have to allow a tenant to be in it. Basically you get together with your local HAP officer and agree your weekly income (You have to provide proof bank statements etc. The you then get an agreed amount you can afford for rent, lets say 400 Euro month. The landlord is paid the 700 Euro every month by the HAP scheme, you pay the HAP scheme 400. The landlord has no idea what rent you are paying to the HAP scheme he just gets his 700 from them. Hope that all makes sense.

Andy

Its all free advice Edo. 😊

Actualy I just like to know about stuff if its an entitlement does no harm to look into it. Plus my partner is born Irish and used to work for the Irish civil service before moving to UK. We looked into everything before moving back to Ireland to retire.

Andy, you're a treasure.

I slipped up badly about the language problem here. Didn't even list it alongside Cost, Climate, Cuisine, Culture, Walkability, and Stock Subjects. It has turned out to be the bane of my existence. 

In the past, I traveled a great deal. Seville could be the most attractive city overall that I've seen. But as I hope we all know, pretty postcard images are not the only things to shoot for stock. Here there are too many churchs and tapas bars, and too few English speakers in places that need them. 

• Love 1

On 25/05/2019 at 10:14, Ed Rooney said:
I'm way past concerning myself with allergy or asthma.  The mucus I'm producing (now a very thick white to light yellow) is a sure sign of bronchitis. And as it says in my attached link, 90% of bronchitis is viral so it would not be helped by antibiotics. I'm doing everything that I can do now. 

Just when was it that this turned into a medical forum? 🙁

Andy and other Irish people! Should I deal with government matters in Dublin or in the city I'm heading to, like Sligo? 

I would suggest Calling the citizens advice in Sligo as a place to start in regards to obtaining a pps.

I couldn't get a straight answer for a works visa for my American wife when we called the embassy from the usa , so she flew over on a travel visa waiver , went to the local guard station and they sorted it there and then. Ireland can be funny like that sometimes. Not like when I got my us green card.

Good luck Ed, Sligo is a bit on the small side but I like it a lot. Shame you are probably priced out of cork city as unlike Dublin it is such a walk friendly city with so much to see and do.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Andy, you're a treasure.

I slipped up badly about the language problem here. Didn't even list it alongside Cost, Climate, Cuisine, Culture, Walkability, and Stock Subjects. It has turned out to be the bane of my existence. 

In the past, I traveled a great deal. Seville could be the most attractive city overall that I've seen. But as I hope we all know, pretty postcard images are not the only things to shoot for stock. Here there are too many churchs and tapas bars, and too few English speakers in places that need them. 

No problem Ed

Always willing to help if I can. Like you I have been all over the world and found that may be the best places to visit are not the best places to live. I hope you like Ireland, its a bit quirky sometimes but a great place to live, your stock shooting may have a more rural lean towards it.

Andy

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Guard station, John? What's that? 

Garda is the Irish for police. Hope you are ok with the bronchitis Edo. Sligo is probably a good move 

As Edo is an Irish citizen already, he will probably just need to apply for his PPS number which is not done through the police. If he is heading to Sligo then: Applications for Personal Public Service Number (PPS Numbers) in Intreo Centre Sligo are by appointment only.  Please contact 071-9148582 to make an appointment.

10 minutes ago, MDM said:

As Edo is an Irish citizen already, he will probably just need to apply for his PPS number which is not done through the police. If he is heading to Sligo then: Applications for Personal Public Service Number (PPS Numbers) in Intreo Centre Sligo are by appointment only.  Please contact 071-9148582 to make an appointment.

I know , I was answering his question. 

The link I posted gives info on applying for one before he arrives.

36 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, guys. I'm trying to get out of here in early June, but this bronchitis is still very much with me. 

The air where you are must be dry. Try a humidifier in your flat/apartment.

Doesn't matter whether it is hot or cold so long as there is moisture in the atmosphere it is better for you rather than dry air.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I understand that, Allan. I lost a good Spanish guitar in my dry-heat NY apartment. But I won't be buying a humidifier here. I'm trying to get out of here. 

Just a thought......

Rent one for a few weeks? If it improves your health it would be worth it!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Just a thought......

Rent one for a few weeks? If it improves your health it would be worth it!

Or boil water in a pan on the stove. Try a wet towel in the sun by a window. Just a thought but it may help.

Allan

• Love 1

Ed, Just to complicate your life still further-this is an Irish Times article about moving to Portugal, it is aimed at Irish citizens but might be relevant to you.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/pensioners-in-portugal-all-sun-and-no-tax-1.3880034

if you are thinking of moving to Sligo, why not ring the Sligo Citizens information, 00353 761 07 6390.   

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Nice shots of Seville, Ian. 

Thanks, I’ll tell him!

We sold one of the Metropol Parasol within 3 days of upload!

Edited by Thyrsis

• Ed Rooney changed the title to Galway, Ireland?