Filling in information for Live News in Lightroom

I may have the opportunity to submit images for the News Feed tomorrow and I'm not exactly certain where to put the information. If I set Lightroom to show EXIF and IPTC there is a space in the section about the file that is Title and one for Caption. Then in the IPTC section there is a space for Headline. If I write the 600 words or less to caption the photo where do I put it? I assume in Caption? Then do I put a headline in the section called Title or the one called Headline down in the IPTC section? Or both?

I've emailed member services but who knows how long it will take for an answer. Never tried the news route before.

Paulette

Title = Headline (i.e. Ed Win's $1,000,000)

Caption = Caption (i.e. Denver, CO USA. 3 Oct 2013 Ed Endicott wins $1,000,000 after playing bingo at Barry's Bingo Hall in Denver, Colorado.  Ed says that his luck changes when he uses trolls with purple hair to watch over his bingo cards.  © NYCat\Alamy Live News)

I guess the thing that confuses me is that they are in different sections with the section titled IPTC only having Headline and nothing titled Caption. So I guess Caption in the section above called Caption and Headline in the IPTC section called Headline? Do I add the credit line? I was assuming Alamy did that.

Paulette

I find it easiest to set LR to show IPTC fields only when doing news images.  Then, in the Content area, you put the Headline in the Headline field, and the Caption in the Description field (if you rollover the word 'Decription' in LR5, then the alt text says 'Caption'!)

EDIT: you posted at the same time as me! - I always add my own credit now prior to submitting, in the following form: © ME / Alamy Live News.  If you omit the credit, the folks in the News team will do it for you, (they're a very helpful bunch!)

I find it easiest to set LR to show IPTC fields only when doing news images.  Then, in the Content area, you put the Headline in the Headline field, and the Caption in the Description field (if you rollover the word 'Decription' in LR5, then the alt text says 'Caption'!)

Got it!!! I changed to only show IPTC and all was clear. Many thanks. Still wonder if I have to add the credit line.

Paulette

Thanks. That is clear from the instructions but since I had Lightroom set to EXIF and IPTC instead of just IPTC the fields were different and confusing. I've suggested to member services that maybe they can add that suggestion somewhere in the instructions.

Paulette

Many thanks to those who helped me with this. I uploaded my first Live News images today. Really nice to see them appear on the site within minutes. I had made my caption too long and my credit was cut off in the middle of my first name. I emailed the News Team and they fixed it right away. They also added a few words to my headline. Quite a nice experience.

Paulette

I adopted the practice of copying live news captions into the description field, and using an abbreviated caption for stock, after getting inappropriate views from the news captions.

However, on one occasion I was a bit too eager, and modified the caption in manage images, whilst the photos were still on the live news feed.

The news feed caption was replaced, and because of the extended character limit, I couldn't edit them back to the original.

I contacted MS, e-mailed the original captions, and they restored them for me, very quickly.

Now I copy the caption over and keyword whilst the photos are on the news feed, but I make sure that I don't touch the caption until the photos are safely transferred to the stock library. 

Interesting to see the ins and outs of using the News Feed. I see that I could have corrected my caption myself. The images are in Manage Images but sort of hidden because I have to go up and choose Images Ready from the menu above. I shall not touch the caption yet!!! Also, there is an Edit Image button in the zoom version in the News Feed. I did put some rough keywording into Lightroom on the import. I'm so used to keywording animals that it is going to be quite interesting to do these people images. I wish I had been more aggressive in my post processing. The light was terrible and I think I could have done more to brighten them without spoiling the "truth" of the scene. I was very intent on getting them up quickly. A whole new experience for me and I'm glad I did it.

Paulette

By the way, Andy, I see that my caption already appears in the description field. So no need to copy it.

After my experience, I'd be extremely nervous about touching a caption that's more than the 128 character limit of Manage Images.

Although if it needs changing anyway, I suppose there's no risk in trying to do it yourself first, before contacting MS. 

Interesting that your caption is already copied to description. Either LR inserts your caption into both fields, or Alamy must copy it whilst processing the images prior to putting them up on the news feed.

I'll look out for that, the next time I upload live news images. If it's not Alamy, then it makes the case for me getting LR, that little bit stronger. 

Interesting that your caption is already copied to description. Either LR inserts your caption into both fields, or Alamy must copy it whilst processing the images prior to putting them up on the news feed.

I'll look out for that, the next time I upload live news images. If it's not Alamy, then it makes the case for me getting LR, that little bit stronger. 

Captions longer than the 128 characters automatically go to the description field when uploaded through the normal route.

Captions longer than the 128 characters automatically go to the description field when uploaded through the normal route.

Gracias vecino   :)  ,

When you say the normal route, as these are live news uploads, i'm uploading via FTP.

So far none of my captions have been copied to the description field.

When you say the normal route, as these are live news uploads, i'm uploading via FTP.

De nada hombre :)

On news uploads they stay in the caption field.

De nada hombre :)

On news uploads they stay in the caption field.

That's my experience, but Paulette reported above, that her live news captions were automatically copied into the description field as well.

I've not seen that, but haven't uploaded news photos since July, so I was wondering if it's a part of Alamy's processing, or a feature of annotating using LR.  

It might be a Lightroom thing. The field where I put it is called Description. When you roll over it you see Caption.

Paulette

Possibly Paulette.

I use a different editor to insert captions, and the field is labelled caption/description. This inserts into the Alamy caption field. I can't find a separate description field.

Just like the keyword field translates to the Alamy  comprehensive keyword field, and there is no IPTC fields to represent essential and main keywords, there may not be an IPTC field that corresponds directly to the description field.

From what Phil says, it seems that for stock uploads, captions longer than 128 characters are put in the description box, and shorter captions go to the caption box. 

I guess I'll have to wait until I upload for live news again, to see if it happens to me too.

Interesting. So those are the fields I see when I choose EXIF and IPTC. I did it with IPTC only chosen and I had fields called Headline and Description. That's how I uploaded them and my caption already appears in the Description field when I keyword.

Paulette

Archived