CGI can't compete with "real" photography . . . can it?

The future is getting closer every day :ph34r:

seeing is believing  . . . before you scroll sideways, scroll down to really get your attention

DD

2 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

It'll be nice being able to have models - without actually having to have models :D

Which means that the need  NOT to upload a non-existant model release for a fictional model will make perfect sense. I think.

My head hurts.

Or is that his head that hurts???

:unsure:

3 hours ago, TeeCee said:

Which means that the need  NOT to upload a non-existant model release for a fictional model will make perfect sense. I think.

My head hurts.

Or is that his head that hurts???

:unsure:

I would wonder about property releases though - If I take a picture of someones drawing I have to to get a property release for it to be used commercially.  So if I use someones CGI created model won't I have to get a property release?  Is there going to be a whole new market in photographers purchasing the rights to CGI models - and will they be cheaper than human models?  If the game is going to require me learning how to create my own CGI model then I am looking for another game lol

10 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I would wonder about property releases though - If I take a picture of someones drawing I have to to get a property release for it to be used commercially.  So if I use someones CGI created model won't I have to get a property release?  Is there going to be a whole new market in photographers purchasing the rights to CGI models - and will they be cheaper than human models?  If the game is going to require me learning how to create my own CGI model then I am looking for another game lol

I'm with you on not wanting to create these things - I want royalty free, micro priced models, please - if Alamy sells them that should be achievable :D

In all seriousness though, if there was a market for this, I'd happily pay a few hundred for exclusive - though am I being cheap?

But there will always be a requirement for at least "some" basic editing of the model - adjusting light and angle, distance, etc. And of course, changes of clothes!

Great work, but...who cares?
Am I the only one missing the point of working for days just to create a picture of a digital character which looks "almost exactly" like a real person?

We have 7 billion people living on this planet, I don't see the need to create other ones by CGI, those actually existing are far more interesting...

3 hours ago, riccarbi said:

Am I the only one missing the point of working for days just to create a picture of a digital character which looks "almost exactly" like a real person?

We have 7 billion people living on this planet, I don't see the need to create other ones by CGI, those actually existing are far more interesting...

It's funny, I have a friend who thinks exactly the same about photography . . . paraphrasing her, she also asks "what's the point of spending time just to create a 2-d representation of something that actually exists?"

Each to their own I guess . . .

But of course, the linked gallery does show more than just "a picture of a digital character" . . . it's a realistic 3-d model that can be manipulated at will, and in the right hands could be incorporated into absolutely any environment or location one could possibly imagine. I think its potential is breathtaking, but as Starsphinx adroitly hinted at, I also hope it does not mean photographers eventually have to go down that path to stay in the game :ph34r:

DD

Ikea uses a lot of 3d renders for their catalogues, instead of photography...

Creating photorealistic renders nowadays is getting more and more democratic: hardware is the same as a good gaming pc and for software you have so many options free (unreal, unity, blender...) or for reasonable prices... assets (3d models of people and whatever you need to create a scene) are readily available...

I know a bit on his subject as I’m an architect doing archiviz...

Will stick to photography though, as it much more pleasant to discover places and being outside...

7 hours ago, riccarbi said:

Yes, it does seem a bit ridiculous, hut we Homo sapiens are good at that. Perhaps it's a way of playing God.

On 2/15/2019 at 16:15, Bill Brooks said:

Photographers are becoming like farmers. Photographers produce raw food for the digital manipulators, who are doing the cooking.

So if you are a stock photographer farmer,  how much cooking do you want to do?

I am exploring a wider variety of crops - and have started messing with vectors.

On 2/17/2019 at 20:17, Starsphinx said:

I am exploring a wider variety of crops - and have started messing with vectors.

and I am coming to terms with Blender 2.8.

Changing times, changing tunes :ph34r::)

DD

Archived