MAC built - in FTP server

I suppose most Mac users know that there is a built in FTP server and, having just discovered it myself, I am looking into it to see if it could be used to transfer image files to Alamy.

My question is:  Does anyone with a Mac already use this facility and if so how well does it work and is it easy to use?

Details of operation of said FTP server would be useful too, Me being one of the lesser tech-heads.

Allan

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

That allows remote access to files on your machine......not the same as using it to  transfer you files out to Alamy's own server....for which you need a client programme like Filezilla etc

km

Thanks Keith, From what I read that is only one part of the Mac FTP which I understand.

Copy of what I read from another site below.

"To access someone else’s FTP site, from the Finder Menu, choose GoConnect to Server. Enter the server address in the box provided and click Connect. Depending on the server you’re attempting to connect to, you’ll likely have to enter a name and a password.

You may be able to drag and drop files from your machine onto that FTP server."

Or am I reading it wrong?

Allan

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Allan, I have not used FTP for Alamy but I've found Fetch very user-friendly on my Mac.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette. Don't forget it is always personal safety before animals. I know, I know, it is difficult when you are an animal lover but please think self first.

Allan

What version OS are you running? FTP is missing from the latest versions of MacOS system software.....it's bit of a faff to run it...much easier to just use a free standing client unless you have a particular need to run your own server and are happy to deal with any security issues

km

http://osxdaily.com/2018/08/07/get-install-ftp-mac-os/

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Thank you, Edo. I have to go out to feed a little cat named Biscuit but I'm going to wait a couple of hours until the temperature gets out of the single digits.

Paulette

It's still in single digits in our kitchen. Pesky kickspace heaters have bunged up again.

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's still in single digits in our kitchen. Pesky kickspace heaters have bunged up again.

I think she means single digits Fahrenheit so well in the minuses Centigrade. Kinda quaint I always think that the US still uses Fahrenheit. Maybe we will be going back that way here soon - then again pints and yards are kinda quaint as well. 

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I suppose most Mac users know that there is a built in FTP server and, having just discovered it myself, I am looking into it to see if it could be used to transfer image files to Alamy.

My question is:  Does anyone with a Mac already use this facility and if so how well does it work and is it easy to use?

Details of operation of said FTP server would be useful too, Me being one of the lesser tech-heads.

Allan

Never knew that but I never use FTP anyway.I am not having any general problem uploading to Alamy. I would have thought Cambridge would have state of the art internet anyway. Maybe you need to think about changing your provider or package if you have slow internet.

What version OS are you running? FTP is missing from the latest versions of MacOS system software.....it's bit of a faff to run it...much easier to just use a free standing client unless you have a particular need to run your own server and are happy to deal with any security issues

km

http://osxdaily.com/2018/08/07/get-install-ftp-mac-os/

I am using High Sierra so I have to assume it is missing from that too.

I was only asking because no matter what time of day I try to upload to Alamy via web upload it sticks on the first file. My service provider has a fast connection in the normal run of things so I think it must be overload on Alamy servers. Of course going to FTP would not necessarily solve that problem if it was at Alamy's end.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I think she means single digits Fahrenheit so well in the minuses Centigrade. Kinda quaint I always think that the US still uses Fahrenheit. Maybe we will be going back that way here soon - then again pints and yards are kinda quaint as well. 

Plus pounds and ounces, and gallons and tons and miles. Come back the 60's all is forgiven.:)

Allan

PS:  Yes I did vote against joining the common market (European union) first time round and THAT is ALL I am going to say on THAT matter.

ITMA

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Never knew that but I never use FTP anyway.I am not having any general problem uploading to Alamy. I would have thought Cambridge would have state of the art internet anyway. Maybe you need to think about changing your provider or package if you have slow internet.

My internet connection has always been fast enough Mick. I used to upload a batch of images on the web at a rate of about one every 10 seconds.

As I have said above no matter what time of day I try to upload on the web now it just hangs on the first image.

It is no good contacting CS as they will say the problem is not at their end.

Allan

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

PS:  Yes I did vote against joining the common market (European union) first time round

Actually, you didn't.

We joined in 1973. Parliament decided- that's what it's for.

The referendum question in 1975 was remain or leave.

26 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Actually, you didn't.

We joined in 1973. Parliament decided- that's what it's for.

The referendum question in 1975 was remain or leave.

Okay I submit yes I agree with you. The use of "joining" was the wrong word.

Perhaps I need to read the dictionary too.:)

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Plus pounds and ounces, and gallons and tons and miles. Come back the 60's all is forgiven.:)

Allan

PS:  Yes I did vote against joining the common market (European union) first time round and THAT is ALL I am going to say on THAT matter.

ITMA

47 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Mark please check your dates and clarify your post.

Allan

Gee look what I started - an innocent comment about imperial versus metric units and we're off. 

Well why not go deep nostalgia and go back to the 30s and the rise of fascism or the 40s and that war thing that tore Europe apart, peasoupers, the Blitz, steam trains and all that good stuff. You are not nostalgic for £sd (pounds, shillings and pence that is) as well are you. The 60s - makes me think of the Beatles,  the Stones and progress, not pounds and ounces. 

So you will be ditching that Sony then for starters? - I still have some darkroom kit if you would like to swap :lol:. As for Thai food? 

By the way I am not having problems uploading to Alamy. Have you tried a browser other than Safari? 

Scratch that bit - I just tried and it is not working (on Firefox) so clearly there is something wrong on the Alamy end. Last time I did it was late at night. 

EDIT - it is working but incredibly slow so not fit for purpose.

I was only asking because no matter what time of day I try to upload to Alamy via web upload it sticks on the first file. My service provider has a fast connection in the normal run of things so I think it must be overload on Alamy servers. Of course going to FTP would not necessarily solve that problem if it was at Alamy's end.

Just get an FTP programme / client like FileZilla to FTP your images...no need at all to set up your own FTP server, with all the security implications.  The web interface has a reputation for  being a bit clunky

I use FTP all the time with almost 100% reliability

km

Just get an FTP programme / client like FileZilla to FTP your images...no need at all to set up your own FTP server, with all the security implications.  The web interface has a reputation for  being a bit clunky

I use FTP all the time with almost 100% reliability

km

+1.

You get the settings from Alamy's help page. FZ doesn't hold your hand but once you figure out what to put where it just works. It's small and fast- my jpegs upload at pretty close to the broadband line rate, so about 2-3s usually.

Many thanks for your comments above.

MDM

"Well why not go deep nostalgia and go back to the 30s and the rise of fascism or the 40s and that war thing that tore Europe apart, peasoupers, the Blitz, steam trains and all that good stuff. You are not nostalgic for £sd (pounds, shillings and pence that is) as well are you. The 60s - makes me think of the Beatles,  the Stones and progress, not pounds and ounces. 

So you will be ditching that Sony then for starters? - I still have some darkroom kit if you would like to swap :lol:. As for Thai food? "

I'll see you at our meet up Mick.:)

Allan

Many thanks for your comments above.

MDM

"Well why not go deep nostalgia and go back to the 30s and the rise of fascism or the 40s and that war thing that tore Europe apart, peasoupers, the Blitz, steam trains and all that good stuff. You are not nostalgic for £sd (pounds, shillings and pence that is) as well are you. The 60s - makes me think of the Beatles,  the Stones and progress, not pounds and ounces. 

So you will be ditching that Sony then for starters? - I still have some darkroom kit if you would like to swap :lol:. As for Thai food? "

I'll see you at our meet up Mick.:)

Allan

:)

On the topic of uploading to Alamy, I did a few more web uploads late last night and they went fast - I have never timed them but the timing seemed normal. And all 4 uploads have just passed QC which is a QC speed record for me. 

Archived