Sony RX100M3 .1st submission fail noise

Good morning all,

Having followed forum points ref Sony RX100M3 ...went ahead and purchased one.

(Normal camera Canon 5d mk3)

Reason is visit to New York later this year and not to have large slr round my neck but something small and unobtrusive and still producing work ok for Alamy.

First try out locally, and first batch  qc fail in 3years.....NOISE ...subject: photographing old contact sheets of shots.

BUT:-

When the time comes I want to use Sony camera more in point and shoot type mode.

Should I set ISO or Green  auto....

Should I set up  specific settings or rely on camera to do the job.

(Anything specific I'll be using my normal workhorse,  the canon 5 mk3)

From some comments on the forum(s)...other enjoy the sony 100 MK3 and just leave it on full auto.

Any advice comments etc will be much appreciated

Thanks

Regards

SPARKS!

29 minutes ago, sparks said:

Good morning all,

Having followed forum points ref Sony RX100M3 ...went ahead and purchased one.

(Normal camera Canon 5d mk3)

Reason is visit to New York later this year and not to have large slr round my neck but something small and unobtrusive and still producing work ok for Alamy.

First try out locally, and first batch  qc fail in 3years.....NOISE ...subject: photographing old contact sheets of shots.

BUT:-

When the time comes I want to use Sony camera more in point and shoot type mode.

Should I set ISO or Green  auto....

Should I set up  specific settings or rely on camera to do the job.

(Anything specific I'll be using my normal workhorse,  the canon 5 mk3)

From some comments on the forum(s)...other enjoy the sony 100 MK3 and just leave it on full auto.

Any advice comments etc will be much appreciated

Thanks

Regards

SPARKS!

Could you tell some more about the image that was rejected? ISO? ACR settings?

I don't have a Mk3, but noise pattern is about the same for all of them. There are some differences in the Auto settings and there's no good answer as to which setting to use. Just test it out and see which one fits your work. As your normal camera is a ff dslr you'll probably notice when there's something not quite right with the way the auto handles a situation. My 1st step if Auto fails is a simple Av with ISO between 100 and 640. But I have a good bracketed hdr setting as a fall back as well. Higher ISO only when the subject is not too detailed or I revert to stacking, which is fine with the 24 fps in the Mk5 and 6.

In general: a RX100 does need lots more pp than a full frame. But it can do stuff the big ones can not.

wim

Thanks for reply.....iso was 125....but have been giving thought to quality of contact sheet printing....but will be out and about when weather improves for further testing.

initially green auto and sees what results come in....agree with you on post processing work....

Will only have one day in New York so need to get it right this this side of the Pond.. before sailing.

Thanks again

Sparks!

I have the RX100M3. Personally I tend to use aperture priority mode and manually set the ISO. I very, very rarely go above ISO 400... the noise gets too noticeable.

You absolutely have to shoot in RAW and you have to spend a lot of time post processing to remove the noise. I tend to use the brush tool in Lightroom to apply noise reduction to the edges/unimportant parts of the image where it is really needed (e.g. sky).

The more I look at it...the shot was of a contact sheet of previous work...That I believe was more my problem...not the camera...a learning curve is on the horizon I fear....but certainly will be working this camera over the next month 'til it becomes second nature, as I have with my Canon 5d. Also keeping ISO below 400.

sparks

I have the Mk3 with very little problems with QC.

General street or out and about photography I set the aperture usually at f8 (sometimes f5.6). ISO is on auto 100 - 1600. Shutter sets itself.

If I am looking at something which needs shutter speed set then I use speed setting and let aperture and ISO do their own thing.

Allan

I have never shot mine on anything but auto (green) RAW other than the night scene mode. I’ve never had problems with noise except indoor shooting, then carefully fixed it in LR and sometimes using the selection tool in PS, then applying NR to those OOF areas. 

I don’t believe I’ve ever had a failure with it, although a few subs where I worked on them a lot, I held my breath a bit.

Betty

12 hours ago, sparks said:

The more I look at it...the shot was of a contact sheet of previous work...That I believe was more my problem...not the camera...a learning curve is on the horizon I fear....but certainly will be working this camera over the next month 'til it becomes second nature, as I have with my Canon 5d. Also keeping ISO below 400.

sparks

If you were shooting a contact sheet, you were getting all the faults in the original film and camera, plus all the printing faults of the contact sheet.  If you were trying to shot individual frames of the contact sheet, the best way to handle negatives or slides is to very carefully photograph or scan the originals.  

Archived