Sort Order in All Images (AIM)

Being fairly new to Alamy, I am still finding my way around.  I am quite happy with AIM and it seems to work well so far.  When trying to sort images though, there are a few in my collection that I want to be near the top of the All Images section so I have moved them there.  Then, when I upload more images and am trying to curate them into galleries, they appear fairly randomly within what is now three pages of images.  I am quite happy for the All Images section to be random because the galleries group the images nicely.  But, if I reset the All Images order to "recent", I am hoping that this will put the most recently uploaded images to the top of page 1 which would make them easier to find and then curate into galleries.  Am I right in assuming this?  If this is the case, can I then simply return the All Images order to what it was before I reset it to "recent"?  I have not tried this yet because I don't want to do anything which I can't reverse with one click of the mouse.

Advice welcome

Thanks

Sheila

21 minutes ago, Sheila Child said:

Being fairly new to Alamy, I am still finding my way around.  I am quite happy with AIM and it seems to work well so far.  When trying to sort images though, there are a few in my collection that I want to be near the top of the All Images section so I have moved them there.  Then, when I upload more images and am trying to curate them into galleries, they appear fairly randomly within what is now three pages of images.  I am quite happy for the All Images section to be random because the galleries group the images nicely.  But, if I reset the All Images order to "recent", I am hoping that this will put the most recently uploaded images to the top of page 1 which would make them easier to find and then curate into galleries.  Am I right in assuming this?  If this is the case, can I then simply return the All Images order to what it was before I reset it to "recent"?  I have not tried this yet because I don't want to do anything which I can't reverse with one click of the mouse.

Advice welcome

Thanks

Sheila

I presume you are actually talking about your portfolio collection and not AIM, where you cannot sort images - they stay in submissions - though you can sort the order in which they are viewed (by you only).

Best way to see what happens in the portfolio is to use the facility for viewing it as someone other than yourself.

Yes Sally, I did mean my Portfolio - again - I am new, so please forgive this error.  I will get the hang of it eventually.

I have not yet shared my portfolio so it is still WIP but I have viewed it as public and nothing much  changes, image wise, from the view I get as a contributor.  I'm still not seeing my recent uploads (after they have gone through QC and I have put them on sale of  course) on the opening page of All Images so I am a bit lost.

Any advice from anybody please?

Sheila

10 hours ago, Sheila Child said:

Yes Sally, I did mean my Portfolio - again - I am new, so please forgive this error.  I will get the hang of it eventually.

I have not yet shared my portfolio so it is still WIP but I have viewed it as public and nothing much  changes, image wise, from the view I get as a contributor.  I'm still not seeing my recent uploads (after they have gone through QC and I have put them on sale of  course) on the opening page of All Images so I am a bit lost.

Any advice from anybody please?

Sheila

You probably just need to wait until the Alamy servers update, which they do every 24 hours.

OK - I will leave it for a while and look again, but as these images are already in the All Images section, placed randomly on Pages 2 and 3 of My Portfolio, I can't quite see how, or why they will suddenly move to the top of Page 1.  We will see.

The instructions on how to curate your pages says "Your first page will automatically be displayed with your most recent uploads at the top, but you can curate this."  This clearly is not happening so do Alamy need to look at this?  Is it a bug in the system?  Are any other contributors experiencing this issue I wonder?  If so, then it clearly does need to be looked at.

Thank anyway

Sheila

I think it might be behaving correctly, at least within its own rather limited parameters. I played about with it but, like others on this forum, got rather frustrated by the clunky tools available. In particular the need to find and then move images one at a time on to your first page. Admittedly I've seen examples that look good but it must take a lot of work to make those 100 images on the first page look good and represent your entire collection. Similarly, and I know you're not referring to this, I would like to find a whole lot of images by searching and then put them all into a new gallery before tidying them up as before and I don't think that's possible either.

So, since it takes ages to create that first page surely it would be a real pain if when you uploaded more images to Alamy they effectively messed it up for you by bumping your carefully curated first page down, perhaps Alamy did at least think of that and this is what you are seeing?

Personally I think that the 'Portfolio' feature is work in progress, for Alamy as much as it is for me.

...I'd actually be happier if, as well as providing the ability to move a lot of images together you could actually prevent ' All images' from appearing at all. Then you could just refine your own sample galleries. After all it's pretty easy to give someone a link to all your images on Alamy. Just a thought.

Well I left things for a good 48 hours and nothing has changed.  My recent uploads simply do not appear at the top of the All Images page.  They are randomly placed throughout all my pages in All Images and it takes an age to find them.  Can anybody recommend who I should contact to find out why this is not working for me?   According to the instructions, it should be.

An improvement which Alamy could think about is to allow all of your Gallery Headings to appear on your home page, rather than for some to be demoted to the "More" tab.  There seems to be no way you can prioritise which ones you want to be showing either.  The sort order seems to be the date you created the gallery and not a great deal more than that.

I am also having trouble loading a header image.  I have tried several times to select an image from All Images but after 10 minutes of waiting on each occasion, I just had to cancel it.  The image never seems to load.  Please can anybody tell me if I am doing something wrong?

A final point.  Why when you go to All Images, does it not tell you which ones you have placed in a gallery and which ones are still be curated?  If you curate a gallery then All Images tells you what is in there but that does not work solely for All Images.  It surely should be possible to do this and would help to avoid missing any, especially  when recent uploads seem to appear randomly on any All Images page.

Thanks

Sheila

? Click the "Reset order to Most Recent" button?

DD

On 1/19/2019 at 00:43, Harry Harrison said:

I think it might be behaving correctly, at least within its own rather limited parameters. I played about with it but, like others on this forum, got rather frustrated by the clunky tools available. In particular the need to find and then move images one at a time on to your first page. Admittedly I've seen examples that look good but it must take a lot of work to make those 100 images on the first page look good and represent your entire collection. Similarly, and I know you're not referring to this, I would like to find a whole lot of images by searching and then put them all into a new gallery before tidying them up as before and I don't think that's possible either.

So, since it takes ages to create that first page surely it would be a real pain if when you uploaded more images to Alamy they effectively messed it up for you by bumping your carefully curated first page down, perhaps Alamy did at least think of that and this is what you are seeing?

Personally I think that the 'Portfolio' feature is work in progress, for Alamy as much as it is for me.

Yep, it takes a lot of work to collate the 100 images--mine are just chucked about randomly as I play with the feature so aren't an example of the 100 images arranged to make that first page look good, but to be honest, a lot of (hard?) work isn't such a negative IMO, especially if I can see some business advantage at the end of it.

As for searching for images and putting them in a new gallery, easily done . . . but .  . . that too is a lot of work (not really hard). You can create a new gallery, then collate the images in that new gallery by searching using whatever parameters you need, then add the thus found images to that new gallery . . . the work? . . . you can so far only do it one image at a time. But it certainly can be done.

DD

1 hour ago, Sheila Child said:

Well I left things for a good 48 hours and nothing has changed.  My recent uploads simply do not appear at the top of the All Images page.  They are randomly placed throughout all my pages in All Images and it takes an age to find them.  Can anybody recommend who I should contact to find out why this is not working for me?   According to the instructions, it should be.

An improvement which Alamy could think about is to allow all of your Gallery Headings to appear on your home page, rather than for some to be demoted to the "More" tab.  There seems to be no way you can prioritise which ones you want to be showing either.  The sort order seems to be the date you created the gallery and not a great deal more than that.

I am also having trouble loading a header image.  I have tried several times to select an image from All Images but after 10 minutes of waiting on each occasion, I just had to cancel it.  The image never seems to load.  Please can anybody tell me if I am doing something wrong?

A final point.  Why when you go to All Images, does it not tell you which ones you have placed in a gallery and which ones are still be curated?  If you curate a gallery then All Images tells you what is in there but that does not work solely for All Images.  It surely should be possible to do this and would help to avoid missing any, especially  when recent uploads seem to appear randomly on any All Images page.

Thanks

Sheila

I couldn't get a header image to load with Safari. I had to use Firefox. I haven't even attempted galleries because I don't understand what it does to the first page. I just did the first page and I hope anyone looking for a particular place or subject will do a search. I haven't done any new uploads since I did it and I'm hoping new images appear starting on the second page so as not to mess up what I have already done. I figure I'll have to periodically promote some new images to the front page and rearrange it. It all seems pretty tedious so don't know how useful it is going to be.

Paulette

1 hour ago, Sheila Child said:

A final point.  Why when you go to All Images, does it not tell you which ones you have placed in a gallery and which ones are still be curated?  If you curate a gallery then All Images tells you what is in there but that does not work solely for All Images.  It surely should be possible to do this and would help to avoid missing any, especially  when recent uploads seem to appear randomly on any All Images page

You do realize that all this has nothing to do with how clients will see or find your images in a search?

The portfolio feature is just a showcase you can link to, something that was far more complicated and not configurable before.

My guess is that as a whole it's a work in progress.

In the meantime: the instruments of the portfolio feature just work as stated on the tin. The rules are easy and simple. Drag and drop just does that and Move to the top also.

Your new images are added behind the last image you have placed yourself. The order of the new images is the order in which you have completed keywording so that they go live.

wim

(portfolio)

Thanks wim but I don't  know how many times I need to say this - recent images are not appearing as you suggest and My Portfolio is certainly not doing what it says on the tin - quite the opposite. I have about five images I have moved to the top so I can easily see that the new ones are not there but randomly placed. This is not rocket science so why won't it work properly?  I am on IE. Could that be the problem?  I can switch to Chrome but I am used to IE so would prefer not to. I can reset order in All Images to show recently uploaded, but as I have said before, is that easily, one click, reversible? Until I know it is, I am loath to change things.

Sheila

6 hours ago, Sheila Child said:

Thanks wim but I don't  know how many times I need to say this - recent images are not appearing as you suggest and My Portfolio is certainly not doing what it says on the tin - quite the opposite. I have about five images I have moved to the top so I can easily see that the new ones are not there but randomly placed. This is not rocket science so why won't it work properly?  I am on IE. Could that be the problem?  I can switch to Chrome but I am used to IE so would prefer not to. I can reset order in All Images to show recently uploaded, but as I have said before, is that easily, one click, reversible? Until I know it is, I am loath to change things.

- is that easily, one click, reversible?

It is not reversible at all. Reset is just that. No going back. No Ctrl-Z or Command-Z.

You can fill a gallery with the images in the order you have already established in All images. Just by clicking on the images in All images from #1 down to as far as you want them as a portfolio. You probably know this.

But as far as I can see there's no way to move that gallery back to All images. Or to copy the sort order of that gallery.

However I don't see a problem in having a Gallery and link to that in stead of linking to the general Portfolio.

In my case I have reset my All images to the original sort order. (Yes to test this, but I was also annoyed I could not get 7 or 8 images back in line without having to give up the whole 92 others. A bit like your problem.)

So now I can link to my portfolio this way: https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/wimwiskerke/greatesthits.html

In stead of this way: https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/wimwiskerke. Not a huge difference imo. And probably just what you need.

- Your new images are added behind the last image you have placed yourself.

Could it be that you have moved all your images by hand at one time?

Because this really works this way. I have not seen a difference between Chrome; Firefox or IE.

- The order of the new images is the order in which you have completed keywording so that they go live.

Reset order to most recent means the last image that has gone live after completing the keywords comes up first. This does not apply when you upload images with all or some keywords already in place.

If you click on the blue number next to your posts here, where it says

Joined Alamy:29 Dec 2018

you'll see the exact same order.

wim

Archived