Attention Live News Shooters:

The British Press Photographers Association (BPPA) is offering members and non-members the chance to take part in a series of half day workshops which will be focused on making the most of Camera Bits software to select , caption and send your images out to the picture desks in a fast and efficient way using Photo Mechanic.

If you shoot Live  News this will be a very useful workshop (in London)... take a look at details and registration here...

3 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I just wish they would make a mobile version :rolleyes:

Oh me too - trying to get through photos on the phone and select for email is a nightmare.  Thats after the first nightmare of getting my camera to talk to my phone in the first place - I dont think they like each other lol

38 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Oh me too - trying to get through photos on the phone and select for email is a nightmare.  Thats after the first nightmare of getting my camera to talk to my phone in the first place - I dont think they like each other lol

Smartphone:- "I have a camera too, as well as lots more functions, so I am NOT going to talk to your camera which can ONLY take photos.";)

Allan

23 hours ago, Julie Edwards said:

We will consider a version of this course for mobile users should demand be proved.

(i spent yesterday editing and sending from iPads and phones with little issue)

Is there a version of Photo Mechanic for iPad? There is no mention of it on the Photo Mechanic website.

Just now, LawrensonPhoto said:

PRESS IPTC, easy enough to setup, used it before I was given an iphone.

Not as many options as shuttersnich but if you are confident of sending your jpegs on the fly to alamy, you can.

I don't do a lot of live news - I do a small amount for a local outlet - the problem is less the sending (I do not need to keyword caption or anything that is taken care of by the outlet) and more the phone has to be in exactly right position to pick up cameras wifi - and will try to connect to any signal except the camera - and will then tell me there is no internet access from that signal - before very possibly deciding to lose the signal halfway through downloading the shots from the camera making me go through the whole bloody process again.  Then of course once I have the photos transferred it decides it's not going to connect to anything except the camera so in order to email the photos I have to switch the camera off.

I just need to sort my phone file system to make selecting photos easier - at the moment it is scroll select tick unselect scroll select tick.  If I actually find myself doing more news stuff I will probably get a tablet to make it easier on the move.  Even if I put photo mechanic on my phone I would probably get annoyed at it - different UI

Just now, LawrensonPhoto said:

You can't, there is no mobile version, I think Julie is suggesting a course for mobiles using shuttersnitch or Press IPTC, etc

That would be useful to me but I am too far from London - and not yet making enough money to cover workshops lol

And in New York? It would be fun to meet up and I would love to learn how to use my phone to actually send off live news photos. I don't do that much live news these days but if I see something I might just shoot it with my iPhone rather than trying to shoot with my camera and then transfer to my phone. I've carted my MacBook along when I've shot serious news - many shots - all day - that sort of thing - and using the connection instead would be great. I'll have to check out shutter snitch. 

Archived