Is anyone elses My Alamy looking wrong again

I know last week there was an issue that the database did not update so I was not worried about no data.  When the database did update I had had views with my images turning up in search results.
This morning the database shows as having updated today - but I am showing zero activity over the weekend, not one single view.

This is unusual for me - I cannot think when I last had a day without any search relevant to my images - I normally get a couple of views.

What with everything else going on its got me wondering

8 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I know last week there was an issue that the database did not update so I was not worried about no data.  When the database did update I had had views with my images turning up in search results.
This morning the database shows as having updated today - but I am showing zero activity over the weekend, not one single view.

This is unusual for me - I cannot think when I last had a day without any search relevant to my images - I normally get a couple of views.

What with everything else going on its got me wondering

Perhaps you just don't have any views.

Pro rata to my port size you'd only have 8 anyway.

Just now, spacecadet said:

Perhaps you just don't have any views.

Pro rata to my port size you'd only have 8 anyway.

Somewhere between 2 and 8 is the norm - often more over weekends cause its 2 days instead of 1.
I know it is probably I did not have any - its just that is as unusual as getting 20 odd.  I wanted to check - paranoia kicking in again lol

Alamy measures has updated for me too. Views overall are low though, so on my port of 3000+ I had only 78 views from Friday to Sunday. On that basis you would only have 7 or so views, as Spacecadet suggests. In truth, your portoflio is much smaller than the number stated because of a quite large proportion of similars. Add to that your Live News images which are more likely to generate views around the time of the event, but become less active very quickly afterwards. Leaving aside all other issues about commission reduction and posting images on microstock instead of at Alamy, you would need to build up a much larger and more varied portfolio here to expect good numbers of views on a regular basis.

You could check against AoA for the same dates. Try one day at a time and see if any of the keywords/phrases match yours. If so, look at the amount of images the client has seen. Now click on the keyword to see if any of yours show up and if so, where. Now compare the images on the first page with yours. Should yours be on that first page?

Some years ago in a different thread I wrote down these truisms on Alamy (but there are more):
No views; no zooms; no sales: this is not your sport.
Many views; no zooms; no sales: You're doing something seriously wrong. Maybe just keywording. Probably more than that. Style? Technique?
Many views; some zooms; no sales: also something wrong, could be technique or style.
Many views; many zooms; no or few sales: definitely style or technique.
Many views: some zooms; many sales: you're a perfect match for Alamy.
Too many views however will lower your ranking on the page: go shoot popular subjects that return less than 5 pages of images; cut back on keywords.

I should add that this pertained to Alamy alone. Different outlets; different markets and different outcomes.

wim

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

You could check against AoA for the same dates. Try one day at a time and see if any of the keywords/phrases match yours. If so, look at the amount of images the client has seen. Now click on the keyword to see if any of yours show up and if so, where. Now compare the images on the first page with yours. Should yours be on that first page?

Some years ago in a different thread I wrote down these truisms on Alamy (but there are more):
No views; no zooms; no sales: this is not your sport.
Many views; no zooms; no sales: You're doing something seriously wrong. Maybe just keywording. Probably more than that. Style? Technique?
Many views; some zooms; no sales: also something wrong, could be technique or style.
Many views; many zooms; no or few sales: definitely style or technique.
Many views: some zooms; many sales: you're a perfect match for Alamy.
Too many views however will lower your ranking on the page: go shoot popular subjects that return less than 5 pages of images; cut back on keywords.

I should add that this pertained to Alamy alone. Different outlets; different markets and different outcomes.

wim

Uh what about lots of views no zooms, more sales than expected lol.

My targets when I joined Alamy were to allow 6 months and 800 images before getting a sale or even expecting a sale.  It took 4 months and just short of 400 images (I was not uploading as fast as I had planned).  However, I have yet to record a single zoom.

I made this thread because zero views for me is very unusual - it is as noticeable as a first zoom would be.   I was interested to know if other people were seeing less views than they expected - and if lots of people are seeing less view how does that feed into the announcement last week.  Having such a small port it is entirely likely this is a natural thing on my account but the fact it is unusual and its timing mean I wanted to check.

2 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Uh what about lots of views no zooms, more sales than expected lol.

My targets when I joined Alamy were to allow 6 months and 800 images before getting a sale or even expecting a sale.  It took 4 months and just short of 400 images (I was not uploading as fast as I had planned).  However, I have yet to record a single zoom.

I made this thread because zero views for me is very unusual - it is as noticeable as a first zoom would be.   I was interested to know if other people were seeing less views than they expected - and if lots of people are seeing less view how does that feed into the announcement last week.  Having such a small port it is entirely likely this is a natural thing on my account but the fact it is unusual and its timing mean I wanted to check.

Which is why checking AoA is the first thing to do. That will filter out several possibilities: no views recorded on Alamy as a whole; none of your keywords were searched for; other people also having small ports; ports with few images suitable for the season or other unknowns.

My own port is pretty small but with lots of variation. Partly because I'm easily diverted, partly because that's what used to work on Alamy.

No views can mean 3 things, again they have to be checked against AoA:

Clients are not searching for the things you have images of.

Or clients are searching for those things, but are using different keywords.

Or your images appear too low in the results for clients to see them.

Again easily checked by using AoA.

So maybe you have images with very strong competition in an already saturated field.

The other thing is that you have in fact far fewer images than the 395 underneath your pseudonym & avatar to the left.

You could try to copy all your keywords in one list and filter it for duplicates and see how many keywords you're left with. Here's an online tool for that.

That would make searching on AoA easier.

wim

2 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Why do you say I have far fewer than the 395?

You have some similars; some news items that have just one or two keepers; some really dark images that really need some pp.

My count is that you have around 140 images that are keepers for now for at most 85 subjects or situations.

The problem with inferior images is that the system may not see them as inferior images and place them higher up (because you have no zooms or sales) on a page that a client is seeing, while a perfectly good image is buried on page 3 or 13.

I have checked some of your images for a likely keyword and my impression is that you have still a quite good rank. So I would not worry there.

But I would certainly have a look at the competition and honestly pick a the single image from a page 1 (for a keyword from your Pseudonym Summary) that you would choose. And why.

All this may belong in a different thread you started.

wim

edit: For instance check Bath Christmas Market for competition.

Or Trowbridge for what happens with inferior images popping up high.

Or Trowbridge Memorial where your best image is placed last - no problem here with only 42 images.

3 hours ago, losdemas said:

😱 used to work?! 

Now you're scaring me. 

Whoever knows what is working now must be keeping that to him/herself.

Just submit your best etc etc. may well be the only remedy left. And even then.

The sky has not fallen yet though. Or isn't that what is happening to your emoticon?

wim

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

You have some similars; some news items that have just one or two keepers; some really dark images that really need some pp.

My count is that you have around 140 images that are keepers for now for at most 85 subjects or situations.

The problem with inferior images is that the system may not see them as inferior images and place them higher up (because you have no zooms or sales) on a page that a client is seeing, while a perfectly good image is buried on page 3 or 13.

I have checked some of your images for a likely keyword and my impression is that you have still a quite good rank. So I would not worry there.

But I would certainly have a look at the competition and honestly pick a the single image from a page 1 (for a keyword from your Pseudonym Summary) that you would choose. And why.

All this may belong in a different thread you started.

wim

edit: For instance check Bath Christmas Market for competition.

Or Trowbridge for what happens with inferior images popping up high.

Or Trowbridge Memorial where your best image is placed last - no problem here with only 42 images.

Thank you.  Really useful feedback I can work with.

31 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

You did spot the link? Sorry no IM here anymore.

wim

I had not spotted it no - but I have now.  Brilliant thank you so much.

I have now saved it as my own lightbox if you need to clear space for youself.

Archived