Alamy on an iPad Pro?

Hi Ed - I've just been reading up about this and apparently there are some serious issues with a number of MacBookPro models. The good news for you is that, assuming it was a new Mac when you bought it, you will get it fixed free if there is anything wrong. From what I read, they may even fix some out of warranty machines. As far as I know you should be able to get it repaired in Spain and i imagine there must be an Apple store or authorise reseller in a city as big as Sevilla. I presume the communication from Apple indicates what the potential fault is.

The most serious issue seems to be potential failure of the SSD drive which could be disastrous if you are not backing up onto an external drive or an online service although you should be doing that anyway needless to say. You need to check which exact model you have - this is very straightforward and there are instructions on how to do this here. The link also allows you to find if your Mac is affected by entering the serial number on that page. There is also a potential logic board issue on some Macs apparently and again this is covered by the repair program so my advice would be to check out if your Mac is affected and have it repaired free.

There is also a reported problem with some keyboards. If this was the case then you could get around this by using an external keyboard but again it would be sensible to have it repaired by Apple for free under warranty.

As for the iPad, I think the bigger issue would be processing your images rather than the AIM which apparently works. I got an iPad Pro earlier this year and it is very good for a lot of things, it would be possible to process raw images in Lightroom Mobile but it lacks a number if features of the full program and there is a quite a learning curve initially.

If you need any help let me know. I am happy to assist if I can.

There is no Apple support in Seville and no Apple Store. There are stores that sell the products but no support. A friend Statside said the email might be a phony.

I don’t know what’s going on with anything right now. 

I don't think it is a scam as Apple do have a special free repair scheme for 2017-2018 13" MacBookPros. There are a number of authorised Apple repairers and resellers in Sevilla so it should be possible for you to have it done there if it is one of the models in question. As far as I know the Apple warranty is worldwide and you should be able to have the machine repaired free by an authorised repairer/reseller anywhere. I am not sure about that of course but I think it is the case.

The first thing to do would be to determine if it is by following the link to the Apple site I posted above and entering the serial number. I can understand that it might be all too much for you given the year that you have had so if you like I will email you, you give me the serial number and I will see what I can find out.

You could just let it go and hope nothing happens but then you risk the SSD dying and losing work. It if was me I would check it out so at least check the serial number as I said. 

If everything else fails, it's 2.5 hrs to Madrid by train.  If you can wait 10 days or so I'll buy you lunch. ;-)

I thought there was one in Malaga, but it's the same chain as the one in Seville.

There's an Apple Store in Marbella, but you would be back from Madrid before you would have reached Marbella by public transport  (6hrs?!).

There's always DHL/Fedex of course.

wim

The journeying should not be necessary Wim. I am pretty sure that he should be able to get it done at or through an authorised reseller/repairer of which there seem to be several in Sevilla. It would not be an on-the-spot repair in any case if it means replacing the SSD or logic board.

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

The journeying should not be necessary Wim. I am pretty sure that he should be able to get it done at or through an authorised reseller/repairer of which there seem to be several in Sevilla. It would not be an on-the-spot repair in any case if it means replacing the SSD or logic board.

Yeah and it's maybe a bit much for lunch; dinner even ;-)

Btw you're not in Berlin are you?

wim

Going to Madrid and a wait would cost more than a backup unit. I’m not going anywhere or sending my only computer anywhere. 

M, you seem to be right about the warning from Apple being real. I have emailed them to ask what to do.

Tio Edo

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

M, you seem to be right about the warning from Apple being real. I have emailed them to ask what to do.

Ed I think they will tell you to check out the link that I posted above and enter your serial number as I said. Reading that page which is all about the specifici worldwide service program for Macs that have this problem, it seems that they are emailing all customers whose machine might have the problem. If you enter your serial number and it says it doesn't have the problem, then there is no problem. If it says it does have the problem, then there is a link where you can find an authorised reseller. It will be in Spanish for you but it is very straightforward. You need to enter your Aplle ID which I presume you have at that point in order to find the reseller of which there are several in Sevilla. If you don't have an Apple ID then it is simple to create one.

Again I am happy to help you but I would need your serial number which you can give me by email. I have your email address from before so let me know if you want me to email you. You can find the serial number by clicking the Apple menu at the top left and hitting About This Mac.

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Not yet is always the right answer. :-)

wim

:D

We had the same email message a few days ago and, in one of those coincidences you can do without, the hard drive crashed the following day, so it's definitely worth following up.  In our case we managed to get the laptop to boot after three attempts, contacted Apple support, who were brilliant, and have made an appointment with the Apple store in Cardiff.  We were told it would take about one hour to replace the faulty part(s) but that data may be lost.  We have backed up to iCloud and will also make a copy on a portable drive with TimeMachine. 

The take-home message being: if you have had a warning I seriously recommend that you get the laptop looked at, pronto.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Archived