Hello from the San Francisco Bay Area

The Blinking Eye

Howdy and hello

I live in Emeryville, which is a mile by mile sized town nestled between Oakland and Berkeley, California, positioned at the end of the Bay Bridge, just across the water from San Francisco.  With almost 18,000 photos on my cell phone, I started uploading with Stockimo and it's been a relief to find some kind of outlet for my photography habit, however humble.  All my uploads so far are cell phone photos, with plenty of faves even captured with an ancient iPhone 3!  Stockimo seems to accept about 2/3rds of the photos I upload.

So this process has been giving me practice.  I enjoy it and I like seeing my work from many years together in an online portfolio.  Nothing has sold so far so I'm wondering how much effort goes into this in the long run and what to expect.

And it's time to up my game.  I'm shopping for a DSLR camera now and hope to have it in time for a trip to Mexico City at the New Year.

Nice to meet you all and read your comments.  Let me know if you have any feedback.

Here's my Stockimo portfolio:  https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={29443024-CA70-4333-A908-65F9DAB0505B}&name=The+Blinking+Eye+%2f+Stockimo&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

Kristin

Hi. For some reason known only to Alamy, there is a ban on discussion of the S******* place on this forum. Anyway welcome to this forum. You look like you have some talent so get that DSLR (I recommend Nikon) and get shooting 😊. The forum is a friendly place and you will find people willing to help you but don’t ask about the s word place here. Best of luck. 

Ah, I didn't know!  Interesting that they approved my post anyway.  Gag rules in a photography forum?  😀  Thanks for the hello and the glance at my photos.  I just bought a Sony Alpha a6000 as was recommended on another thread on here.  It should arrive in a few days.  I hope it works out.  I liked the small size since that's what I love about cell phone photography.  But I'm really a celluloid aficiando.  I have more experience as a filmmaker than a photographer, and still work with 16mm film and projectors.

No I don't know how you could know - I don't think it is in the forum rules. The posts are not moderated so yours was not necessarily seen but there is a definite sensitivity about the s word place and they ask not to discuss it. Political discussion often leads to deletion or locking of the thread (I know this from experience :lol:) but most other stuff is open for discussion. It's a nice forum with lots of friendly people. We even meet up sometimes for lunch in Cambridge, England, but that is quite a long way from San Francisco :)

Enjoy the Sony. When you have uploaded some pics, create a portfolio page and let us know it's up (new feature which has caused a bit of a buzz recently)

13 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Ah, I didn't know!  Interesting that they approved my post anyway.  Gag rules in a photography forum?  😀  Thanks for the hello and the glance at my photos.  I just bought a Sony Alpha a6000 as was recommended on another thread on here.  It should arrive in a few days.  I hope it works out.  I liked the small size since that's what I love about cell phone photography.  But I'm really a celluloid aficiando.  I have more experience as a filmmaker than a photographer, and still work with 16mm film and projectors.

The Sony a6000 is a good choice. Good luck with it.

Edo

Welcome and good luck. San Francisco is one of my favourite cities. Hope to get back there sometime.

I'll echo what Edo says about the a6000. I bought one earlier this year and am very happy with it.

However, the  Sony16-50 "pancake" kit lens offers some challenges. I found this article helpful. Once you get to know the lens' idiosyncrasies, it's possible to get very good results.

Thank you!! You guys are so great.  My camera should arrive in a few days.  I got a bundle that included a bigger zoom lens.  I work well with technical limitations.  I like the challenge of getting good shots with very limited options, sort of a DIY approach.  It gives me space to be creative without getting hung up on technicalities.  It will be interesting to see how that feels with a camera that offers so much more.  Pretty excited to take it further.  Maybe I'll have no reason to utter the "s word" again.  haha

1 minute ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Thank you!! You guys are so great.  My camera should arrive in a few days.  I got a bundle that included a bigger zoom lens.  I work well with technical limitations.  I like the challenge of getting good shots with very limited options, sort of a DIY approach.  It gives me space to be creative without getting hung up on technicalities.  It will be interesting to see how that feels with a camera that offers so much more.  Pretty excited to take it further.  Maybe I'll have no reason to utter the "s word" again.  haha

I also have the Sony 55-210 kit lens. It's surprisingly sharp and pairs well with the 16-50. Try using it at 55mm instead of the 16-50 at 50mm. As mentioned in the article that I linked to, the 55-210 is much sharper than the 16-50 at full extension. I've always been on a tight budget -- which is getting tighter all the time -- so "doing more with less" has become my credo. These lenses are fine for Alamy, I've found.

On 11/29/2018 at 03:19, DDoug said:

Greetings and welcome from a transplanted Bay Area native (now in Europe).

Hi Doug!  Do you remember the old "Emeryville Warehouse?" It was visible from the highway, I think, before IKEA was built.  That's where I live now. Just across the tracks from IKEA, a block from Target, and two blocks down from Pixar.  :) 

10 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Hi Doug!  Do you remember the old "Emeryville Warehouse?" It was visible from the highway, I think, before IKEA was built.  That's where I live now. Just across the tracks from IKEA, a block from Target, and two blocks down from Pixar.  :) 

Memory's getting vague... is that where The North Face used to be?

58 minutes ago, DDoug said:

Memory's getting vague... is that where The North Face used to be?

No, but weird you say that, because I used to work in the old North Face building. Now owned by the Berkeley Repertoy Theatre.  (That was the  North Face admin office not a store, so maybe you're thinking of something else)  And yes, it's changed and still changing dramatically in this area.  You're lucky to live in Europe. :)

41 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

No, but weird you say that, because I used to work in the old North Face building. Now owned by the Berkeley Repertoy Theatre.  (That was the  North Face admin office not a store, so maybe you're thinking of something else)  And yes, it's changed and still changing dramatically in this area.  You're lucky to live in Europe. :)

The image that sticks in my mind is of the water tower on Powell. It might have been simply advertising and not their location, either corporate or retail. For that matter, I can't be sure if it was North Face or the other then-local guys, Sierra Designs. Emeryville's a happening place now. I recall a time when several of the commercial shooters from SF set up there because it was just across the bridge and they got more studio space for the money. No place in California is cheap these days however.

26 minutes ago, DDoug said:

The image that sticks in my mind is of the water tower on Powell. It might have been simply advertising and not their location, either corporate or retail. For that matter, I can't be sure if it was North Face or the other then-local guys, Sierra Designs. Emeryville's a happening place now. I recall a time when several of the commercial shooters from SF set up there because it was just across the bridge and they got more studio space for the money. No place in California is cheap these days however.

Yeah, as a renter with no rent control, I'm about to get priced out of the area any day now.  We'll see how it goes. 

Hello Kristin,

Another ex San Franciscan here.  Did not spend much time in Emeryville, but

remember it well, there was a fun seafood restaurant called Spanger's that I use to go to.

Don't miss the bay area much,  I do miss my 67 Mustang convertible though.

Chuck

On 11/30/2018 at 23:26, The Blinking Eye said:

Yeah, as a renter with no rent control, I'm about to get priced out of the area any day now.  We'll see how it goes. 

The main reason I haven't visited SF in recent years is because it has become such an expensive city, even for tourists.

That said, Vancouver probably isn't much better now. People have to pay outrageous rents here, and the vacancy rate is close to 0%. Must be a West Coast thing.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The main reason I haven't visited SF in recent years is because it has become such an expensive city, even for tourists.

That said, Vancouver probably isn't much better now. People have to pay outrageous rents here, and the vacancy rate is close to 0%. Must be a West Coast thing.

Ugh, so tired of it. So many of my friends have left or making plans to leave.  The effect on artist communities has been devastating.  Just seems odd, after a 27 year investment in the place, that my existence here feels so precarious by no choice of my own.

• 4 months later...
On 28/11/2018 at 13:06, The Blinking Eye said:

If you can find a good used copy, the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is one of the best lenses for the a6000.  It's the equivalent of a 35mm lens on full frame and can do quite nice close focusing.  Not cheap -- and I bought my new copy in Managua, Nicaragua, which made it seriously not cheap (15% IVA tax, plus the importer paid and passed on the import duty).   I'll probably buy another a^### body when the one I have wears out just because of that lens (and the small size of the camera for street photography).

If your bundle includes the 55-210 lens, that also does rather close focusing. 

Archived