12 minutes ago, Avpics said:

The Twitter feed runs down the right hand side of the forum front page, and the dashboard.

...and then rapidly disappears, as is Twitter's wont.  Posted here, it would at least be accessible for more than a few hours.

11 minutes ago, Avpics said:

You can keep scrolling down for as far back as you'd like to go. If anything disappears I presume Alamy deleted their tweet.

I'm aware of that: I perhaps didn't phrase it well enough.  By disappear, I meant that Tweets are not immediately visible beyond the current one without scrolling. Tweets in the box (as at this day/hour) display back to Oct 29th without 'loading more Tweets' - if you scroll down.

It is a long way from a user-friendly way of conveying that information - a 180px wide box (or thereabouts) which displays roughly one to one and a half tweets at a time.  A challenge to look at and take in (for me at least - and I doubt that I'm alone in this).  The content of those Tweets also vary; they are not limited to #AlamyPicNeeds.  Upshot is that (personally) I tend to ignore the Twitter iFrame on the dashboard, (because it's a PITA to use), just occasionally clicking on the feed to access it directly on Twitter for a far more friendly UI.  Personally, (again!) I rarely visit the forum front page, so don't see the feed there.

My point is that posting those 'Pic Needs' directly onto the forum might well result in Alamy securing a higher hit rate for their customers' needs were they to use all outlets available to them to seek those images.  I imagine that they don't do it as they regard it as extra unnecessary work for them: a constant thread which they would be responsible for and feel the need to respond to queries?  And perhaps they regard the forum as representing only a very tiny minority of Alamy contributors and so not worth the bother?

Anyhow, my initial intention of starting the thread was just to point out the Alamy Tweet to those forum contributors who might have missed it and may well have some of the images required.  I had one image - quite tenuous ;) - but imagine that (especially) some of the Scandinavian folk here might have something to offer.  Let's hope that it proves worthwhile for someone.

Brilliant background image of the Hardangerfjord!

She forgot to give the mirror image in the water the same warm color, but that somehow enhances the Nordic feel.

If you flip it back (it's reversed) it resembles one of Norway's best known paintings.

It's a pity it's available on at least 8 more agencies: S*stock; can*photo; f*lia; ad*be; 12*rf; pi*ta; dr*stime; ist*photo.

Actually it's also not the Hardangerfjord, but the Sandvevatnet on the other side of Odda, but that's close enough. I still like the image and the pp a lot.

wim

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Brilliant background image of the Hardangerfjord!

She forgot to give the mirror image in the water the same warm color, but that somehow enhances the Nordic feel.

If you flip it back (it's reversed) it resembles one of Norway's best known paintings.

It's a pity it's available on at least 8 more agencies: S*stock; can*photo; f*lia; ad*be; 12*rf; pi*ta; dr*stime; ist*photo.

Actually it's also not the Hardangerfjord, but the Sandvevatnet on the other side of Odda, but that's close enough. I still like the image and the pp a lot.

wim

:) You'd completely lost me there for a while, wim!  Yup, totally agree.  From her (very good) port., it looks like she doesn't spend all day in front of the monitor, though! Lots of the great outdoors and healthy food!

6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

That's a b***er, Matt.  Still, looks like your trip gained you some valuable additions to your port.  More to come?

Yes.. I reckon i took between 2500 and 3000 photos so there's plenty more to come. I was in Seoul and Busan.. just not the specific places mentioned in the 'urgent request'. It was a family holiday with friends too so it was more a case of me taking photos as we went to places as a group rather than me specifically going to do photography and hunting places that I wanted to shoot.

I can recommend South Korea for anyone who wants to visit.. fascinating place, friendly people, high technology combined with the very low technology and in the cities at least, most signs have English and Korean lettering and enough people speak English for an English speaker to survive quite easily.

14 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

If only I'd had this list 3 weeks ago... 

https://r1.dotmailer-pages.com/p/2SWW-4LH/urgent-stock-photo-requests

::D:wacko:

And yes, I agree that Alamy should have a pinned thread on the forum for this. People would learn to look for it frequently.

Alamy content have 12800 followers on Twitter, whilst far fewer contributors regularly use the forum it would seem. To be successful at selling on Alamy we could all be far more proactive in subject choices and I'd bet those that are use the information so readily offered. It's our failing not to take advantage of it.

2 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Alamy content have 12800 followers on Twitter, whilst far fewer contributors regularly use the forum it would seem. To be successful at selling on Alamy we could all be far more proactive in subject choices and I'd bet those that are use the information so readily offered. It's our failing not to take advantage of it.

But still no harm in doing both.. it takes someone from Alamy what... 60 seconds to add the post in the forum.

I too tend to give no more than a cursory glance towards the tweet panel, for the same reasons Losdemas has outlined. It also suffers from the drag of frequently repeating itself, tending to foster the impression that it can be ignored most of the time.

If the Alamy Content Team are going to put out content requests, I would like to see it made clear how real the demand is for that particular content. Are they just lists culled from analysing customer searches? Are they lists of needs that actual customers are actively waiting for?  I noticed a tweet a few days ago requesting content from nearby Manchester. It was a loose definition of Manchester as the locations mentioned were widely spread. I didn't pursue the opportunity, particularly at this time of year when the day is short and the light is poor for city shooting. I didn't feel inclined to go tootling off on a 100 mile round trip for speculative shoots of locations which had little sales potential outside the list presented in this tweet, especially when the time could be spent processing a stack of video for uploading at places other than Alamy (pity about that Alamy :(). I might have been more inclined to follow the lead if I knew that there was a realistic, even though small, chance of making a sale.

In summary, a plus one for content requests to the forum or some other location without the transient character of tweets. Also, a plus one  for some idea of how strong the requests for content are; I know we can't be guaranteed a sale but some help in deciding whether or not to pursue such opportunities would be useful.

10 hours ago, losdemas said:

I'm aware of that: I perhaps didn't phrase it well enough.  By disappear, I meant that Tweets are not immediately visible beyond the current one without scrolling. Tweets in the box (as at this day/hour) display back to Oct 29th without 'loading more Tweets' - if you scroll down.

I always scroll down the Twitter feed, let's be honest, it's not really difficult or time consuming.

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

If only I'd had this list 3 weeks ago... 

https://r1.dotmailer-pages.com/p/2SWW-4LH/urgent-stock-photo-requests

::D:wacko:

And yes, I agree that Alamy should have a pinned thread on the forum for this. People would learn to look for it frequently.

Same for me for the current one about Scandinavia. Well 3 months not weeks. I did check out that beautiful Bio Rex Cinema in Helsinki, but lots of building were still going on around it. I should have gone inside.

wim

Archived