Alamy Image Manager – problem with foreign characters

In the image manager, when I search for words containing foreign characters – in this case Danish (Æ, Ø, Å, æ, ø, å) – I get no results.

One example. I have several photos with the word "Læsø" in the caption as well as among the keywords, but when I search for "Læsø", it says "Sorry, but we couldn't find any matches".

11 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

In the image manager, when I search for words containing foreign characters – in this case Danish (Æ, Ø, Å, æ, ø, å) – I get no results.

One example. I have several photos with the word "Læsø" in the caption as well as among the keywords, but when I search for "Læsø", it says "Sorry, but we couldn't find any matches".

A search on Læsø returns 146 images.

A search on København returns 24,555 images.

Exactly the same as kobenhavn - laso is used for other names - but also returns results on læsø.

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

"laeso" returns plenty of results, including yours. I think Alamy may already have done the transliteration for you.

Læsø and laeso may seem the same to us, but my guess is that people from Denmark wouldn't agree.

Læsø also throws up brings up this image, which is one of the weirdest I've ever seen on Alamy. The captioning and keywording is weird too. Maybe the agency (?) has yet to refine the keywords from some automated system. Is this some sort of scraper?

- Sorry off topic rant.

It does show the sort of problems you're getting when all sorts of funny characters are dismissed as just foreign, though.

I guess a line must be drawn somewhere. Is there any help page about this?

wim

25 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

The problem is with the Alamy Image Manager search function, not with the search function on alamy.com.

You are right. I need to enter kobenhavn instead of københavn.

On the other hand you would expect this to be problematic. When would you need to find images in the AIM only by searches with æ, ø, and å?

2 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

When would you need to find images in the AIM only by searches with æ, ø, and å?

I can think of more than one case where I would want to search for Danish place names.

If, initially, I've added a caption to a number of photos, containing for instance the word "Læsø", and afterwards I want to search for "Læsø" to bring up older photos from Læsø so that I can add their keywords to the new photos. Or if I want to add new keywords to all photos from Læsø. Not being able to search for "Læsø", I'd have to search for a more inclusive word, such as Denmark, and then go through all the photos from Denmark and select the ones from Læsø, which would be needlessly time-consuming.

20 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

I can think of more than one case where I would want to search for Danish place names.

If, initially, I've added a caption to a number of photos, containing for instance the word "Læsø", and afterwards I want to search for "Læsø" to bring up older photos from Læsø so that I can add their keywords to the new photos. Or if I want to add new keywords to all photos from Læsø. Not being able to search for "Læsø", I'd have to search for a more inclusive word, such as Denmark, and then go through all the photos from Denmark and select the ones from Læsø, which would be needlessly time-consuming.

Yes, of course, But what I don't understand is why you do not enter the English transcribed versions in the keywords - these will be the most important.

3 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

But what I don't understand is why you do not enter the English transcribed versions in the keywords - these will be the most important.

Sure. But now that the damage is done, it would be useful if the search function didn't exclude Danish characters.

9 hours ago, vpics said:

It's not just the Danish ones. AIM doesn't display images with German umlauts Ä, Ö, Ü and the ß.

In fact, if you have the character in your file name, they disappear completely.

Yes, I noticed the issue with umlauts too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived