Anyone else get creeped out by their own photos?

Starsphinx

I have just been keywording some of this week's photos - ones of common wasps.

I have a mild phobia of wasps - I am fine with bees and other insects and perfectly happy with spiders but wasps scare me.   I believe in confronting fears and I do deliberately choose to try and photograph wasps for this reason - but the keywording is something else as it has required looking at lots of pictures of wasps while doing the identifying and winkling out those extra keywords and I am now creeped out.

Does anyone else photograph things they don't like or are scared of and find themselves getting creeped out sorting the pictures out later or keywording them?  Or am I just a weirdo?

31 minutes ago, Matthew Johnson said:

I thought about taking photos in some very small pipes (about 25" diameter) i crawled through once. Still can't believe I did that with claustrophobia!

When I have a camera I can manage to approach and focus on a wasp without getting freaked out (unless it moves suddenly and aggressively in which case I scream and run away)  its just looking at the pictures afterwards (did you know wasps are furry?  Like bees?  I did not want to know this and now I do know because of taking pictures of the damn things).  I find I will do other things when I have the camera I would not dream of doing otherwise (the standard ones being to sit or lie on a wet cold muddy floor or climb crumbling wall/dodgy looking tree) and I think generally it is good that having the camera makes me challenge myself - but I still get creeped out by the pictures sometimes.

On 8/10/2018 at 13:11, Michael Ventura said:

Oh, I thought you meant photos of themselves, in which case I do!  See the avatar I use.....not even my dog!

Same here, I run from selfies. I changed my avatar awhile back because I got sick of looking at the grumpy, white-bearded dude clutching a camera.

Other than that, I don't really get creeped out, no insect phobias, etc. However, I do feel somewhat embarrassed when I look back at some of the subjects that I've chosen to photograph. It's a bit difficult to feel proud of an image of a Walmart sign. I guess that's just the nature of stock photography.

Selfies are a whole different subject - I do not even have an avatar I am that scared of mine.   In my imagination I am something like wonder woman only better - I just can't face the reality that I am shorter fatter uglier and way, way less talented.   Mind you I have an awesome sense of humour, refuse to take life seriously, and thoroughly enjoy shooting football so maybe there is hope.......

I once attended a so-called "love parade" in Duisburg and I left quite early. When I got home, I found out that there had been a major disaster with more than 20 people dead. The following day I went back and took lots of pictures of candles and posters and I was allowed to enter the tunnel where the disaster had happened as I had an accreditation for the event. There were chalk outlines of where people had died etc. Here's a link: https://tinyurl.com/yaykhxn4 It was bad then, but it was really really bad when I looked at the pictures afterwards. 

40 minutes ago, vpics said:

I once attended a so-called "love parade" in Duisburg and I left quite early. When I got home, I found out that there had been a major disaster with more than 20 people dead. The following day I went back and took lots of pictures of candles and posters and I was allowed to enter the tunnel where the disaster had happened as I had an accreditation for the event. There were chalk outlines of where people had died etc. Here's a link: https://tinyurl.com/yaykhxn4 It was bad then, but it was really really bad when I looked at the pictures afterwards. 

That is way beyond a fear of wasps. Before picking up a camera  I have been a first responder at a couple of road accidents and other incidents and it was a case of turn off feelings turn on training and deal with whats in front of you - but I would fall apart about 24 hours later.  So far news wise I have only covered stuff with "happyish" endings - if worse comes along I know I have the emotional training and experience to deal with it at the time but I have no idea how I will deal with the photos afterwards.

I get creeped out whenever I look at the old scan below, not because of its content but due to what happened there. The day after I climbed up alone to this deserted lookout in Antigua, Guatemala, a group of Spanish-language students was held up at gun-point by thieves at this very spot. The bandits were wearing masks, but unfortunately the students' instructor recognized one of them who subsequently shot him point-blank in the head.

overview-of-the-spanish-colonial-city-of

6 hours ago, Matthew Johnson said:

wow, that is sad, and you are lucky you postponed your trip one day!

That's exactly what I thought when I read about it in the local newspaper on the next day. It could easily have been me. I have returned to Antigua (beautiful town) several times since I took this pic but never to the lookout. It was indeed a tragic event. I believe that official "tourism police" accompany tourists to this lookout now.

Archived