Shutter speed problem with Nikon D3s

Wonder if anyone can help with this one - was out this morning and for some reason my shutter speed won't go any higher than 1/250. Additionally, the command dials were (I managed to fix it somehow) reversed - Aperture to the rear and Shutter Speed to the front. How do I fix the shutter speed problem? Thanks in anticipation.

• 3 weeks later...

An update to this: after sending the camera into Nikon for repair, I've had an email from the service centre saying the camera is beyond repair due to a lack of availability of spare parts.  Aside from being absolutely distraught, how can this possibly happen?!  Surely Nikon has enough spare parts for all its cameras?  Nikon has offered a refurbished D4s for an extremely good price, but I simply don't have the money - unfortunately.  Oh well, I'm just going to have to sell more pictures!

33 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Have they said what parts(s) are needed?  If so, you could try Lehmann's spare part enquiry form.....

http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d207183_Spare_Parts.html

or give them a ring.

http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/index.html

Part of the email:

We have received a notification from the workshop , as after diagnostic tests the technician has found that the camera body is recording errors in relation to the I Base Plate Unit, which enables aperture functions in the camera. In addition, they have also noted issues with the aperture level and bayonet mount. Unfortunately, due to the age of the camera model, parts are becoming unavailable and we are unable to source the required part to return the camera to Nikon standard. Therefore, your D3s has been deemed beyond repair, in this instance.

I don't know what's fully wrong with the camera, but I'll ring Nikon on Monday and push my case.  Thanks for your help.

Realistically, Andy, that Nikon is over 10 years old, and I imagine, as a working PJ, you have used it constantly. 

Even with Nikon, my long-time choice when I was a working pro . . . never send for whom the bell tolls.

May you get 10 years from the replacement.

Edo

On 8/18/2018 at 22:18, MDM said:

You could try Fixation in London before giving up entirely. They are authorised Nikon repairers and well you never know. But as Ed says it is old and presumably well-used. 

I would support this as a try, I use Fixation for all my repairs & service, always been first class 

You'd be surprised to know Ed, the camera has under 100,000 clicks on it, but I agree it's old.  Just the thought of having to find a few thousand €€€€ to replace it gives me the shivers.

I'll try Fixation this morning.  Thanks guys!

WOW, I hate to read things like this.  A D3, I still have some F's and a black SP.....

There is a repair shop in Morton Grove, IL, USA: http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/

Ever since NPS messed up the repair on an N-90 (decades ago) they have done all of the

work on my F mount equipment.  They do it right, quickly and for a better price than NIKON.

They use to be NPS in the Midwest, before NIKON downsized.  They have no problem with

doing international work, I lived out of the US when I started using them.

40 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Thanks Keith

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

WOW, I hate to read things like this.  A D3, I still have some F's and a black SP.....

There is a repair shop in Morton Grove, IL, USA: http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/

Ever since NPS messed up the repair on an N-90 (decades ago) they have done all of the

work on my F mount equipment.  They do it right, quickly and for a better price than NIKON.

They use to be NPS in the Midwest, before NIKON downsized.  They have no problem with

doing international work, I lived out of the US when I started using them.

Worth a look I guess.  I know the camera is old but it's still hard to take... 

I had a similar problem with Nikon repair in New York recently.  I still had 2 D700's that I love.  Earlier this year, I sent one in to repair the CF card door that had broken off.  They estimated the repair with shipping, to be around $250.   A couple of weeks later, I got a call from Nikon saying that they no longer had the parts and will no longer service D700's.  They offered to send me a refurbished D700, with a  much lower shutter click count, for the same price.  I took the deal.  I know that is not what was offered to you and it is hard to give up what you know and love, so I feel for you!!   I did end up upgrading to the D850 as well and have grown to love it but it comes with a hefty price tag.

Michael, 

My D700 is still running fine and it was C & S'ed by NIKONREPAIR in Morton Grove.  I also had a beautiful

NIKKOR 300 f2.8 IF ED that NIKON told me they could not or "Would Not Repair"  I sent it to Morton Grove and had it back

and working perfectly in a week and for a really good price.  As a matter of fact all the MF NIKKORS I have

have been serviced by them.  You should check them out.

FYI in the 80's and early 90's Melville, NY, was great as was the old NIKON service  center in Rockefeller Center.  All of the cameras

I used at Chernobyl were serviced by them.  Those days are gone, but NIKONREPAIR in Morton Grove has been as good as old

NPS service. 

Chuck

Archived