Getting stuck in

chris_rabe

I'm not "new" to stock, but only just dipped my toe in in the past.

But I have been on a drive to change this lately, which has taken a lot of time sorting out my personal photo catalog (still got a fair chunk of keywording to do).

Hopefully within the next week or two, I will be ready to start submitting photos in earnest - but only once I have cleaned up my catalog and the various stock sites I have submitted small chunks of photos to.

I am considering sticking with two different agencies, and going exclusive to each, for differing content types - one nature and wildlife, one everything else.

One thing I would like to know, as I was recently reading the Alamy blog about those photogs who had made £100000+, was how certain images could sell for thousands in one transaction? I have had a single image sell for about $20 max, but what options could a purchaser choose that would put the fee into the thousands? Not that I think I will manage one of those sales, but I am extremely curious.

You'll find the £100000+ was earned over a number of years. Sales in the thousands are very rare nowadays.

There aren't that many grossing 5 figures here and the average is probably not that much different from yours.

2 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

I'm not "new" to stock, but only just dipped my toe in in the past.

But I have been on a drive to change this lately, which has taken a lot of time sorting out my personal photo catalog (still got a fair chunk of keywording to do).

Hopefully within the next week or two, I will be ready to start submitting photos in earnest - but only once I have cleaned up my catalog and the various stock sites I have submitted small chunks of photos to.

I am considering sticking with two different agencies, and going exclusive to each, for differing content types - one nature and wildlife, one everything else.

One thing I would like to know, as I was recently reading the Alamy blog about those photogs who had made £100000+, was how certain images could sell for thousands in one transaction? I have had a single image sell for about $20 max, but what options could a purchaser choose that would put the fee into the thousands? Not that I think I will manage one of those sales, but I am extremely curious.

go on to one of your own images in the catalogue and play around with the placement options...it will give you an idea.

Welcome Chris. There is a problem with your hummingbird. It's been tagged as Costa Rica sunrise.

In AIM, don't forget to deselect the images you're not keywording.

Good luck.

Gen

9 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

There has been a thread here about that blog post at the time.

wim

Thanks all for the replies. 

Gvallee, I have wiped all my existing photos, so it'll be sorted when I start putting things up again

Cleared out my microstock accounts - but will leave one active to put the dregs on 😁

Started making headway with keywording my catalogue - having spent weeks categorising stuff, that shouldn't be too painful. 

Just need to figure out the alamy lightroom plug in. 

Well, finally after a long time working on my metadata for my photos, I have started getting a few up, testing the submission waters using the alamy lightroom bridge and seeing what I can get through.

First 11 new submissions all passed, so hooray!

Everything that hasn't sold previously has now been removed from microstock sites, ready to be re-distributed.

Going to take a  long time to get anything worth submitting up, but at least I have finally reached a point I can consider moving forward!

But I still need to find an agency for wildlife stuff.

49 submissions and no rejections - I think I learned a lot from my microstock experience :)

Having said that, I do have some stuff which I still throw at MS - and have had several rejections recently from Adobe... oh well, can't be fussed "fixing" those for them.

Archived