Hi,

If a news website shows a screenshot of my twitter post with n image on it, and they did not get a permission to use it, can I chase them for this?

They did ask for permission but I directed them to Alamy News, they acknowledged my reply, and therefore I think they are using the twitter screenshot until they obtain the image from Alamy. Just in case I screenshoted (is this even a word?) they article to be able to chase them in case they dont end up purchasing from alamy.

Is my approach correct?

9 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

If its editorial in use I think they can use it without your agreement as long as its a "picture" of the twitter feed

Really? So a snapshot/picture of a picure is ok, but image itself is not? This was a sort of an insert of my twitter feed, clickable so that someone could click on the tags etc - not sure how it works really but essentially my twitter feed showing the photo and the entire post was embedded into their article. See here 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2942426/woman-sexually-assaulted-glasgow-railway-bridge-river-clyde/

Yes, I'm afraid that there are a good few national (one rhymes with fail), as well as large London newspapers who do this on a daily basis, and there is little you can do. I tend to now post links to the alamy pic or screenshots with the alamy watermarks in view, after I had it happen a few times with an unnamed London-based free evening newspaper ;).  I can't even totally blame them for doing it, it often gives their coverage of something that 'social media just-as-it-happened' feel, which probably sells well. Keeping in the watermarks seems to stop that type of usage, whilst the genuine re-tweets of i.e. people or organisations featured in the shot etc. can still happen (I don't mind the latter, the watermark is in there and the image itself too small to be used in any decent way.

On 18/07/2018 at 11:31, Pietrach said:

Really? So a snapshot/picture of a picure is ok, but image itself is not? This was a sort of an insert of my twitter feed, clickable so that someone could click on the tags etc - not sure how it works really but essentially my twitter feed showing the photo and the entire post was embedded into their article. See here 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2942426/woman-sexually-assaulted-glasgow-railway-bridge-river-clyde/

It's an infringement unless twitter's terms allow it. I doubt they do but I can't help with that as I don't use it.

33 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Take a leaf out of redsnappers twitter feed, he covers the entire image with a watermark. I did.

DbQPDC2XUAA_f7J.jpg

I don't need to take a leaf out of his twitter feed, ta very much. My personal tweets are covered by just that, he hasn't exactly invented it. And the alamy watermark is pretty sufficient for screen shots.

Archived