Sticky Plastic - any experience ?

My equipment cupboard contains some items suffering from the dreaded 'sticky plastic' disease - cables and rubberized casings seem to be the main sufferers - I have been told that

70% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL is the stuff to use, looks pretty drastic - has anyone had any experience of cleaning plastic.

I've had two items come to a sticky end: a hi-fi remote control and the handle of an expensive hair drier. Can do nothing for the former but I cleaned off the tacky coating from the hair drier using (if I remember correctly) acetone. It stripped the sticky black coating back to a harder black plastic but it was a fumy, messy job; best done outside. Acetone will damage quite a few plastics and paint finishes so I advise caution. Isopropyl alcohol is probably safer.

1+ for Goo Gone, never seen it in Europe though.

1- for acetone: do not try on anything of value. Really effective though: it dissolves almost anything plastic or synthetic. Test first.

Usually petroleum ether or benzine is the first to try. It's the stuff that's in sticker remover, not the fluid you put in your car. (That's gas or petrol depending on where you live or went to school.)

wim

My equipment cupboard contains some items suffering from the dreaded 'sticky plastic' disease - cables and rubberized casings seem to be the main sufferers - I have been told that

70% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL is the stuff to use, looks pretty drastic - has anyone had any experience of cleaning plastic.

I've used it (actually surgical spirit, which I believe is the same thing) but be careful, it will melt some plastics.  Try a drop on an obscure area first.

You can buy stuff for cleaning uPVC window frames which is good but that's also a solvent, so again be cautious.

Sticky plastic? Don't we have enough problems in the world? 

Assuming that people who have trouble with their plastic items also managed to spill pasta sauce or grease on their clothing on occasion, allow me to tell you two ways to clean the spots:  1. The Martha Stewart Method: get a bowel of ICE and water and a clean napkin and use short strokes on the spots.  2. The Italian Method: shake a generous amount of talcum powder on the spots -- but do not rub in. Afterwards, have the clothing cleaned. 

Don't try to thank me; I'm just attempting to have a better world.  :)

Thanks for the help, I now know that Surgical Spirits is a different chemical (but similar qualities) also that the old Atlantic divide springs into action because different words mean different things either side of the water.  Have tried a drop of SS on an old cable and it works but is pretty messy - have ordered some isopropyl alcohol. Apparently the stickiness is caused by a degradation of the plastics - any other first-hand experience welcome....

Think I might skip the peanut butter though......

Wait till it happens to our computers and DSLRs.

On the inside.

Mykal also make a very good degreaser, a la Swarfega but with abrasive beads- I wonder if the formulation is similar, in which case you could try a bit of Swarfega. There'd be no hard done, it's very gentle.

You could try lighter fluid (naphtha) - usual caveats re. solvents apply of course. I would try it on cables personally but I would be wary of letting volatile solvents near expensive gear.

Also you can sometimes remove glue with sticky tape just by doggedly applying it and yanking off again many times - a lot easier on a flat surface than on a cable though.

Archived