Image used as part of 'art installation'

I've found that one of my images, an Alamy image, is being used by an 'installation artist' on, yes you've guessed it, an 'art installation'. It seems he has basically cut the image out of the newspaper it was printed in, and is displaying it as, and I quote here, 'an image based investigation into how we read and interpret images and visual language'.

So, the question of course is, is this legal? In other words, is this guy making money from one of my images?

Not sure where I stand on this one. I thought I'd ask the forum family before contacting MS.

Here's the 'art';

http://www.frame2016.com/

Rob C -

Good luck, and I feel your pain. Some art expert somewhere might claim juxtaposition of two images pasted on same sheet is transformative....

Reminds me of kraft paper version of appropriator Richard Prince.

I wouldn't worry about the artist making money from your image. Creating art installations doesn't exactly pay well from what I've heard.

The artist should have at least asked your permission, of course. If you're sure that it is an Alamy image, then you might as well contact MS. Nothing to lose.

Maybe you could return the favor and document his installations? Editorial only of course.

And include in your CV: 2016 - selected by James Thurgood.

wim

Rob C -

Good luck, and I feel your pain. Some art expert somewhere might claim juxtaposition of two images pasted on same sheet is transformative....

Reminds me of kraft paper version of appropriator Richard Prince.

He might have a defence in the US under fair use (vide Richard Prince) but the English exception is much narrower. It is an infringement and I would be asking for a licence fee, particularly if the piece was commissioned or has sold.

Which photograph is it?

If you scroll down on the site, towards the bottom, you'll see an image of a female hiker (actually my wife), standing on a rocky outcrop with views of the Lake District, (just below the image of a guy being attacked by a big cat).  This was a quarter page in the Daily Telegraph Travel Supplement in February of this year. You can see the fold in the page down the middle where it was in the paper.

Archived