Welcome to the Alamy Contributor Forum. Log-in using your existing Alamy account details. If you're not registered yet then you need to create an Alamy Contributor account to be able to post here. Once registered, you'll be able to choose a forum display name and there will be a link to your images on Alamy within your profile. Please have a read of the rules and announcements before posting. Your first post will be moderated before appearing. Welcome to our photographer community!

Photo
- - - - -

Nothing sold yet?!

sold money selling nothing

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Part of the forum furniture

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 3 weeks ago

Alamy has more than 50 million images, you have 207. In other words, you're merely a needle in the haystack.

Add a zero to the end of your figure and you should start to see some sales.

Alan

It's over 100 million now. Any bets on how long it will take to get to 200 million?

John Mitchell

#42 Jobz Foto

Jobz Foto

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Hi everyone, I just arrived on Alamy

Starts with about 300 files and I will not stop upload until I see my first sale

I would like to ask if you, who have been here for quite some time sell ​​your files on alamy with exclusivity?

I upload the same files that i sell in other micro stock agencies. Will this decrease my sales?

Thanks all

Alamy is not a micro site.  There is no point in selling your images here if you are basically selling the same image for next to nothing at a micro.  Images sold here should not be on micro.  Why would a buyer pay more here if they can get it cheaper elsewhere?

Jill

Thanks

#43 Jobz Foto

Jobz Foto

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Hi everyone, I just arrived on Alamy

Starts with about 300 files and I will not stop upload until I see my first sale

I would like to ask if you, who have been here for quite some time sell ​​your files on alamy with exclusivity?

I upload the same files that i sell in other micro stock agencies. Will this decrease my sales?

Thanks all

I did a GIS on one of your images and, guess what, it popped up on SS. Why would I pay Alamy's price?

Do the rest of us a favour and don' t have the same images on both sites.

Thanks for the advice

#44 AlessandraRC

AlessandraRC

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 2 weeks ago

After the upgrade of the upload/key wording system, sales pretty much vanished for me. I am 2/3 from finishing assigning categories and reviewing tags. Nothing has come out of the extra effort. 

Life is too short for re-submission

#45 Jill Morgan

Jill Morgan

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationThe Back 40, Lindsay, Ontario

Posted 2 weeks ago

After the upgrade of the upload/key wording system, sales pretty much vanished for me. I am 2/3 from finishing assigning categories and reviewing tags. Nothing has come out of the extra effort. 

I did a random search for one of your images:  natural history books.  You are on page 1 of 175 third row, so you are getting good placement.

Jill

Photography Website:  http://jkmorganpets....rganphotography

Custom Equestrian & Dog Supplies:  http://jkmorganpets.com

#46 AlessandraRC

AlessandraRC

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 2 weeks ago

I did a random search for one of your images:  natural history books.  You are on page 1 of 175 third row, so you are getting good placement.

Jill

Thanks. I kinda know that but still no sales for a while. 

Life is too short for re-submission

#47 danielsbfoto

danielsbfoto

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Well maybe I'm not a star but with 512 photos in my portfolio no sell in more than one year.Below smaller agencies. I started a few year ago with a reasonable sales (not a lot). I upload regular. Sometimes I think some click in the system it doesn't work good for me. Some feedback? Have a good time!

#48 kay

kay

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Well maybe I'm not a star but with 512 photos in my portfolio no sell in more than one year.Below smaller agencies. I started a few year ago with a reasonable sales (not a lot). I upload regular. Sometimes I think some click in the system it doesn't work good for me. Some feedback? Have a good time!

I like your images, but did a reverse google image search on a handful and found they were also available on microstock sites.  The majority of customers will do the same.  Why would they buy the images here if they can get the same image much cheaper elsewhere?

#49 danielsbfoto

danielsbfoto

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

I like your images, but did a reverse google image search on a handful and found they were also available on microstock sites.  The majority of customers will do the same.  Why would they buy the images here if they can get the same image much cheaper elsewhere?

I see what you mean Kay... so with that thought only the cheapest agency will survive in the jungle. Anyway your feedback is very interesting. I take note.

#50 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 2 weeks ago

I see what you mean Kay... so with that thought only the cheapest agency will survive in the jungle. Anyway your feedback is very interesting. I take note.

No, just don't make your images available for peanuts. If the client really needs that particular image, he'll pay the price. But - of course - if you first smash in your own windows, then you shouldn't complain here that sales suck.

Cheers,

Philippe

Arterra Picture LibraryWildeyes

nature, travel and environmental photography

LogoFineArtAmericaBlueShape.jpg

#51 GS-Images

GS-Images

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm no expert on Microstock and don't want to be, so please someone correct me if I am wrong here. My understanding of Microstock agencies is that the client pay a subscription that allows them to download as certain number of images, so downloading a few more costs them nothing. The cheaper price is what YOU see, not what they pay, depending how many images they download for the subscription period. I haven't read this point made in all the countless Microstock discussions in the forums lately so maybe I have that wrong. If I am right though, then of course a client will try to find the same image elsewhere, effectively for free.

Regardless, Alamy is better known for quality work rather than snapshots (although looking at the huge majority of images available and even many used in Alamy's blogs, I sometimes wonder!) and many clients will choose to come to Alamy first, and if they can't find the image they like in Microstock, they'll buy it from Alamy.

Geoff.

#52 danielsbfoto

danielsbfoto

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted A week ago

No, just don't make your images available for peanuts. If the client really needs that particular image, he'll pay the price. But - of course - if you first smash in your own windows, then you shouldn't complain here that sales suck.

Cheers,

Philippe

That take us to an interesting stuff. This point of view works well when you think the only available images are yours or mine in this case. The images in this market must to compete with hundred of millions. I think that smash all the windows I can imagine. You make think that my sales in others is thanks  to my photos here. You have the all the eggs in just one basket? It is a way so.

#53 GS-Images

GS-Images

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted A week ago

Cheers,

Philippe

That take us to an interesting stuff. This point of view works well when you think the only available images are yours or mine in this case. The images in this market must to compete with hundred of millions. I think that smash all the windows I can imagine. You make think that my sales in others is thanks  to my photos here. You have the all the eggs in just one basket? It is a way so.

You aren't competing with hundreds of millions. You're competing with similar images of similar quality, accurately keyworded so they can be seen on the first few pages, and stand out enough to get interest from clients.

Geoff.

#54 danielsbfoto

danielsbfoto

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted A week ago

Cheers,

Philippe

You aren't competing with hundreds of millions. You're competing with similar images of similar quality, accurately keyworded so they can be seen on the first few pages, and stand out enough to get interest from clients.

Geoff.

You are right Geoff. My wondering if I have no sales here... maybe keywords...search engine...or I'm not doing well.
Thank you for your feedback.

#55 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted A week ago

I like your images, but did a reverse google image search on a handful and found they were also available on microstock sites. The majority of customers will do the same. Why would they buy the images here if they can get the same image much cheaper elsewhere?

Cheers,
Philippe

That take us to an interesting stuff. This point of view works well when you think the only available images are yours or mine in this case. The images in this market must to compete with hundred of millions. I think that smash all the windows I can imagine. You make think that my sales in others is thanks to my photos here. You have the all the eggs in just one basket? It is a way so.

Actually, I have my eggs in 12 different baskets, none of them is microstock. And I live solely from stock.
There are indeed many thousands of images of one particular subject, but what do I care there are 37,000 red deer pictures when mine are found within the first few pages. The trick is to have a splendid STEADY ranking.
Stock = quantity + quality + fill the gaps

Cheers,
Philippe

Edited by arterra, A week ago.

Arterra Picture LibraryWildeyes

nature, travel and environmental photography

LogoFineArtAmericaBlueShape.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sold, money, selling, nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users