Hi everyone....has anyone had experience with submitting photographs RM or editorial for these properties and have had them taken down? There seem to be alot on Alamy already...the restriction I saw everywhere was not for commercial use.

Any thoughts?

Yes, a dozen or so removed, one weeks after it had licensed. It and some other, but not all, were put back after I proved they were taken from the road or public right of way.

The NT has a very restrictive policy and periodically strongarms Alamy into removing images to tighten its own picture library's monopoly.

It's misusing a 50-year-old byelaw designed to control itinerant photographers, but it's not an argument we're going to win, so I don't visit NT properties any more. Images taken from the highway or public footpaths are fine, but be prepared to prove it.

Are the restrictions on images from its own library (NTPL)? It won't tolerate images it hasn't commissioned on any terms.

If you do put images up, append the captions with "seen from the highway" or whatever and don't put National Trust in the tags. It makes them a bit harder to find.

They only apply the policy to pay-to-enter properties, not the land they own.

I was in full tourist mode so I went, and it was before I started this....when I search the palaces, there are thousands of photos from those properties...I was abit surprised by how many actually.

just goggled and found this...

The National Trust does not permit photography or filming at its properties for commercial use or for reproduction in any form without consent from National Trust Images. Images taken at NT properties may not be submitted to photo libraries, agencies or on-line providers or provided directly to image buyers.

http://www.nationaltrustimages.org.uk/photographic-access

yet...thousands on here, so not enforcing it?

As I said, they go on occasional fishing expeditions then issue their orders to Alamy. It's not the law, but they have the lawyers, we don't. Images taken from outside the property are unaffected.

You asked specifically about the NT. If you mean the royal palaces, they belong to the Crown. I don't know what their policy is but I haven't heard about any deletions on Alamy.

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You asked specifically about the NT. If you mean the royal palaces, they belong to the Crown. I don't know what their policy is but I haven't heard about any deletions on Alamy.

well then I have myself confused...I might be okay then. 

Had a couple of files removed some time ago after one of the irregular NT trawls. I then removed NT annotations on any other files that could have been taken anywhere eg. wildlife, flowers etc. Now I always shoot properties from public land and state this in the caption. 

On 22/06/2018 at 17:41, MandyD said:

The National Trust does not permit photography or filming at its properties for commercial use

English Heritage have the same policy, displayed on notice boards at the entrance to their properties

13 minutes ago, Richard Laidler said:

English Heritage have the same policy, displayed on notice boards at the entrance to their properties

If EH doesn't have a byelaw it's just a condition of entry. You can be asked to leave but that's all.

Incidentally OP asked specifically about NT because she wants to know if she can submit archive images taken on a specific trip, not for next time.

I surmise that the reason NT hasn't taken anyone to court over this is that it doesn't want to run the risk of losing.

I am guessing English heritage suspend this at Stonehenge during the solstice - as I read and reread conditions and deliberately searched for policy and could not find any.   Alamy does have previous years solstice images (again I searched) and there were obviously a huge number of photographers there many of which were pro or semi-pro, let alone hobbyists doing stock.

I suspect there is a difference with English Heritage as its a govt and therefore our public organisation...…………..Stonehenge is mine and yours and does not 'belong' to an entity but looked after by an organisation with authority to give access or not for its protection.....it used to be the historic buildings and ancient monuments commission I think - they look after our property/heritage sites whereas the NT own as a charity organisation where no public claim can be made.

Thanks for posting the above......do I need to take down my recent Dunham Massey photos that I posted last week?

8 minutes ago, Brian Vickers said:

do I need to take down my recent Dunham Massey photos that I posted last week?

Just leave them, but they're vulnerable to the next round of NT trawling unless you took them from an area you didn't pay to enter, or from the public highway or ROW. If you can prove it, Alamy will probably reinstate any it removes. It tends to over-react at first, then put back images when you complain.

Taking out "National Trust" from the keywords might obstruct the process a bit.

It seems random at times- there's one property where I've had some removed but not others, with no rhyme or reason.

Next time, don't bother, unless it's from outside.

Archived