Having just lost a Fuji X-T2 with 16-55 2.8 lens (don't ask, too painful. It may have been stolen as it's a total mystery otherwise), I wondered if anybody marked their 

camera with their personal details ?  Wondered about marking the replacement with my email address somehow that is fairly permanent but doesn't mark the camera.

By the way, a big recommendation for Allianz insurance - my replacement was in my hands, with a minimum of fuss, less than 24 hours after notifying them of the loss.

Geoff

Every Canadian citizen has a unique federal number that is used on all government communications.

As a theft prevention measure the police encouraged Canadians to engrave their unique number on their possessions.

I did so, but it reduced the value of my photography equipment at trade in time.

12 hours ago, geoff s said:

Having just lost a Fuji X-T2 with 16-55 2.8 lens (don't ask, too painful. It may have been stolen as it's a total mystery otherwise), I wondered if anybody marked their 

camera with their personal details ?  Wondered about marking the replacement with my email address somehow that is fairly permanent but doesn't mark the camera.

By the way, a big recommendation for Allianz insurance - my replacement was in my hands, with a minimum of fuss, less than 24 hours after notifying them of the loss.

Geoff

Do you mean in case your camera is lost rather than stolen?

I use a label maker to date, number and put my name on my X-T2 batteries. I guess you could do the same for the camera, not permanent but would help for a lost camera.

The permanent marker is the camera serial number.

I have all my details embedded in the copywrite fields in my Canons. Ive also heard of people shooting a name contact card as the first frame on your card. Every little helps. 

Thanks , I'll look into that Wim.

As a 'better than nothing' measure I've written my email address on a piece of masking tape stuck onto the body under the articulating screen

on the camera. If some honest person ever found this one it would hopefully ease it's return.

Geoff

You could try the Alpha Dot marking system. They are basically a micro dot 1mm tag that have an individual number engraved  on them that can be registered. It is used in the motor cycle industry to mark parts of the motor bike so even if stolen and broken up can still be traced, available on Amazon and they don't shift once applied.

Worth a try.

Andy

Archived