Sally

How long for payments to clear?

Recommended Posts

I have an outstanding news image payment from The Sun still waiting to clear from December 22nd 2017, nearly five months ago. Is this normal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, sadly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a newspaper sale also on that date and I notified contributor services last week. They thanked me for the heads up and said they were turning it over to their credit control team.

 

Paulette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sally said:

I have an outstanding news image payment from The Sun still waiting to clear from December 22nd 2017, nearly five months ago. Is this normal?

 

I waited for 8 months on an image used by Conde Nast magazine.

 

I emailed contributor support and it eventaully got paid a month or so later.

 

I really don't know if Alamy just take usage on trust expecting the customer to report it to them but I do think they should institute a better system for this kind of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

 

I waited for 8 months on an image used by Conde Nast magazine.

 

I emailed contributor support and it eventaully got paid a month or so later.

 

I really don't know if Alamy just take usage on trust expecting the customer to report it to them but I do think they should institute a better system for this kind of thing.

like pay when downloaded and then on client to report it if NOT used for a refund?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MandyD said:

like pay when downloaded and then on client to report it if NOT used for a refund?

No, businesses have to be allowed to pay on account. With the exception of PU and prints, Alamy isn't a retailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

No, businesses have to be allowed to pay on account. With the exception of PU and prints, Alamy isn't a retailer.

but there should be some record of what they downloaded, no? why isn't this tracked and added directly to their account?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many bigger clients self-report. If they miss one, Alamy can trace a particular download if you spot it yourself. Alamy have compliance systems, but they're obviously not going to publicise how they work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Many bigger clients self-report. If they miss one, Alamy can trace a particular download if you spot it yourself. Alamy have compliance systems, but they're obviously not going to publicise how they work.

 

seems backwards to me...why you wouldn't put controls on your product...they lose money too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sally said:

I have an outstanding news image payment from The Sun still waiting to clear from December 22nd 2017, nearly five months ago. Is this normal?

No, but some do get missed, make a note on your spreadsheet for 4 months after the date you took it, if it hasn't been reported drop Corin or Shelley an email

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MandyD said:

but there should be some record of what they downloaded, no? why isn't this tracked and added directly to their account?

Say they download it once and then use it repeatedly in several articles over the coming days, how does Alamy track this? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I do know after submitting over a 1000 live news images since October is that tracking usages is part of the deal of doing live news, unless you don't want to get paid for all of your hard work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

No, but some do get missed, make a note on your spreadsheet for 4 months after the date you took it, if it hasn't been reported drop Corin or Shelley an email

It was reported on December 22nd, just not cleared yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MandyD said:

but there should be some record of what they downloaded, no? why isn't this tracked and added directly to their account?

News images aren’t downloaded. They are sent to news desks. Then the newspapers decide if they want to use any as far as I understand the process.

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sally said:

It was reported on December 22nd, just not cleared yet.

Again note that down in your spreadsheet, The Sun usually report and pay after 12 weeks (6 week split), if they haven't after the 12 weeks let alamy know.

I copy and paste the info from the sales report in AIM so they know exactly what image you are talking about, they will then look into it and probably include it in the next pay run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Again note that down in your spreadsheet, The Sun usually report and pay after 12 weeks (6 week split), if they haven't after the 12 weeks let alamy know.

I copy and paste the info from the sales report in AIM so they know exactly what image you are talking about, they will then look into it and probably include it in the next pay run.

Ok, thanks, I will do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Alamy got working on it and not only has the payment from December cleared, those for January, February and March have cleared too. A nice big payment next month.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. That newspaper sale from Dec. 22 has cleared at last.

 

Paulette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few months is not exceptional!

 

if you think about it, a client downloads an image and uses it... confirms usage 3 months later, the distributor confirms the sale to Alamy another 3 months later and they get (sometimes) months to pay the bill... At least 3 to 6 months, in my experience sometimes up to 7-8 months after usage???

 

Still don’t understand why Alamy doesn’t allow downloading watermarked images and only fuml size image w/o watermark on sale???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Michael_Jacobs said:

A few months is not exceptional!

 

if you think about it, a client downloads an image and uses it... confirms usage 3 months later, the distributor confirms the sale to Alamy another 3 months later and they get (sometimes) months to pay the bill... At least 3 to 6 months, in my experience sometimes up to 7-8 months after usage???

 

Still don’t understand why Alamy doesn’t allow downloading watermarked images and only fuml size image w/o watermark on sale???

These were Live News images used by The Sun, not normal stock images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was a stock image. Maybe not The Sun. Maybe a different paper but it was the same day as yours.

 

Paulette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2018 at 22:17, LawrensonPhoto said:

One thing I do know after submitting over a 1000 live news images since October is that tracking usages is part of the deal of doing live news, unless you don't want to get paid for all of your hard work!

 

Excuse if this is a silly question but how do you track usage - Google search your name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You can use: “your name alamy” -alamy.combin google, bing...

 

or you can reverse search with google images and/or tineye, select your sales, zooms and right click google search

Edited by Michael_Jacobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ACC said:

Excuse if this is a silly question but how do you track usage - Google search your name?

The only real way of doing this is by searching on the actual websites themselves. For example, go to The Sun website, in the search bar type "weather" it will bring up all the pages with weather related images, go through them all ;)

Say for example you submit a weather image from Brighton, East Sussex, uk do the same, first search for brighton and see if you spot any of yours, do a search for sussex as well, The Sun like to change it around to keep you guessing :D

Rinse and repeat with the The Scottish Sun, but only if they publish a different article to the normal Sun, The Times, daily mail, express, etc, etc all of them have search engine facilities.

Once you have found all of your images dating back to when you first started submitting live news, then its just a case of looking as soon as you submit and taking a screen grab and URL. Don't be surprised to find that your image has been used a half dozen times but you can only find the one article! Images get dropped all the time.

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now