LR4, Mac OS 10.8 & Trash

I am a relatively new user for both LR4 and Mac.

Today I notice that when I delete (as opposed to remove) files from LR4, these are gone forever whereas if delete files from Bridge, they are moved to Trash.

Why is this happening?  Is there any setting I need to tick or unstick somewhere within LR4, so that deleted files are moved to Trash in case I need them again?

Thanks

Sung

Sung though I cannot say why Adobe doesn't have all their products work the same in certain situations, if you delete from disk while in Lr it will be gone forever from your files. If your Remove it, it will only be taken out of the Lr catalog, but remain on your hard drive.

I only delete from disk very bad images or those I consider trash. Remember when using Lr to do everything from the program. i.e. changing names of files/folders, moving things around, etc. This will lessen the chances of any conflicts.

Thank you Charly for your reply.

In LR4, like you said, I delete from disk very obvious rejects.  As I said I only noticed this today and it made me question what if I delete something from disk (in LR4) by mistake....

Sung

Hi Sung. On 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) if you delete from disk, the deletions go into Trash. This is in LR4.

Obviously not so on 10.8.

Have you  an external hard drive linked to your Mac either through USB or Thunderbolt? If not, can I suggest you get  2 TB or so external Western Digital HD (or equivalent) and save your originals on that via Export in LR4.

GM

Sung, I have 4 copies of my originals and catalog backups on external hard drives, one is off site. I work only off 1 external HDD when editing, but if memory serves, mistakes in delete from disk can be immediately undone with CMD + Z. Though I rarely will delete many images, so I am used to using Remove and don't make that mistake. Though one can always opt to not delete images and use the Remove button exclusively.

+1 on Western Digital external hard drives; that's all I use.

Sung, may I say that the Trash may not be the best place to hold images that you are still undecided about. Drag them into a folder marked "???" until you can make a decision. 

I only delete when I am certain.  Luckily so far I have never lost images that I wish I didn't.  Touch wood....

Hi Sung. On 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) if you delete from disk, the deletions go into Trash. This is in LR4.

Obviously not so on 10.8.

Have you  an external hard drive linked to your Mac either through USB or Thunderbolt? If not, can I suggest you get  2 TB or so external Western Digital HD (or equivalent) and save your originals on that via Export in LR4.

GM

I copy the hard drive with an external hard drive using Time Machine.  So in a way, if worst comes the worst I can recover any deleted files from TM.  That's the theory anyway.

Sung, I have 4 copies of my originals and catalog backups on external hard drives, one is off site. I work only off 1 external HDD when editing, but if memory serves, mistakes in delete from disk can be immediately undone with CMD + Z. Though I rarely will delete many images, so I am used to using Remove and don't make that mistake. Though one can always opt to not delete images and use the Remove button exclusively.

+1 on Western Digital external hard drives; that's all I use.

4 copies...  That is impressive.  How do you update all the copies?

Sung

A little off topic, but perhaps one of you could help me: With Snow Leopard and the earlier OS's the windows showing on my HD and other folders told how many GB I had left and how many items were within. How can I find out how much space I have left on my HD on 10.8.4? (And yes, I hate Mountain Lion!) 

When I import for the first time, I have the 2nd copy import checked to the 2nd EXHDD. With importing 1:1 previews it takes a bit of time, yet I think it's worth it. Once a month or after a large shoot, I'll copy over to the 3rd and take a drive with me to update the off site drive. Prolly over kill, but the chances of me losing everything (originals/catalogs back ups) is minimal to zero and with EXHDD's so cheap nowadays it's worth it.

I am a relatively new user for both LR4 and Mac.

Today I notice that when I delete (as opposed to remove) files from LR4, these are gone forever whereas if delete files from Bridge, they are moved to Trash.

Why is this happening?  Is there any setting I need to tick or unstick somewhere within LR4, so that deleted files are moved to Trash in case I need them again?

Thanks

Sung

Try going into LR preferences (pull-down menu from the top-left of screen) to see if there's anything you can change...

A little off topic, but perhaps one of you could help me: With Snow Leopard and the earlier OS's the windows showing on my HD and other folders told how many GB I had left and how many items were within. How can I find out how much space I have left on my HD on 10.8.4? (And yes, I hate Mountain Lion!) 

Ed - I don't think this is any different in Mountain Lion. Go to the View menu in the finder and cliock Show Status Bar. That should do what you want.

Try going into LR preferences (pull-down menu from the top-left of screen) to see if there's anything you can change...

I had a look before I posted the question, but I don't think there was anything related to Trash...

Anything you delete from disc in LR4 or LR5 will end up in the Trash.  If it's not there, you must have emptied it!  This is in all versions of Mac OS as far as I know and certainly in Mountain Lion.

Chris

That's strange, before I asked the question, I experimented with both LR4 & Bridge 6.  When I choose a file and 'delete from disk' in LR4, it completely disappears but when I delete a file in Bridge, it is moved into Trash.  That made me think there might be something I can change somewhere but buried deep....  I spent some time to find out where it was without any success.

Sung

My experience has convinced me it is a mystery. My images are on an external hard drive. Most of the time my deletions just disappear but sometimes they wind up in the trash. I think the only preference that may be different is the one about storing preferences with the catalog. Otherwise I don't think I do anything different from session to session.

Paulette

Anything you delete from disc in LR4 or LR5 will end up in the Trash.  If it's not there, you must have emptied it!  This is in all versions of Mac OS as far as I know and certainly in Mountain Lion.

Chris

That's strange, before I asked the question, I experimented with both LR4 & Bridge 6.  When I choose a file and 'delete from disk' in LR4, it completely disappears but when I delete a file in Bridge, it is moved into Trash.  That made me think there might be something I can change somewhere but buried deep....  I spent some time to find out where it was without any success.

Sung

That's very strange, Sung.  I've just done a test by emptying my Trash then deleting a single image from LR5 and, bingo, it appeared in the Trash immediately, just as I expected.  It might be worth searching your system for the missing files, by deleting a test file having first noted the file number so that you can do a system-wide search, just in case they are being placed somewhere else.  

Also, if you are using removable hard drives to store your images they may have their own Trash bins.  If you unplug these external hard drives before checking the Trash on your Mac, the deleted files will not show up (because the HD has been disconnected).

Not sure if either of these suggestion will help but give it a go.

Chris

I will withdraw my question posted yesterday.  The cause was my lack of understanding with Mac.  As a novice user, I am still learning.

When I opened 'Trash' yesterday, all the deleted files were grouped as 'Today', 'Yesterday', 'Previous 7 days', etc.  I automatically assumed that they were sorted by the date of deletion.  That was my mistake.

When I looked into "Change the item arrangement' menu within Trash, the options were Name, Kind, Application, Date Last Opened, Date Added, Date Modified, Date Created, Size and Label.  There was no option of sorting the items by Date Deleted.  This was the culprit.  

Therefore, the files deleted from LR4 indeed are moved to Trash but placed somewhere in Trash according to the default arrangement.  When I searched the items by the file names, they were in there.

Thank you everyone.  I suppose this question is solved now.

Sung

Archived