Trade in or sell privately?

On 4/22/2018 at 05:40, Reimar said:

Odd no-one has mentioned Kijiji.  That's what I use for all my photo gear.  No shipping, and Toronto is a big enough market so that if you have patience, you'll get a reasonable amount.

Having some good luck with Kijiji this time.

I've had mixed experiences shifting gear no longer needed. Mostly, I just shove it in the bottom drawer and forget it thinking I won't get much for it. I remember years ago trying to sell a 16-on Hasselblad film holder. I seem to recall being offered £50 when the real value was several hundred pounds. The shop didn't know me and quite likely thought I might be desperate to take whatever I could get. I kept it! On the other hand I updated my fairly recent Pentax K-5 at a shop which was keen to keep me as a customer and got a very good price. Some of my old film gear might be getting to the collectable stage and fetch a decent price. I can dream!

On 4/22/2018 at 05:40, Reimar said:

Odd no-one has mentioned Kijiji.  That's what I use for all my photo gear.  No shipping, and Toronto is a big enough market so that if you have patience, you'll get a reasonable amount.

Have you ever paid for any of the extra features -- i.e. "top ad", "bump ad", etc.?

If so, was it worthwhile?

27 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Have you ever paid for any of the extra features -- i.e. "top ad", "bump ad", etc.?

It worked for me when I was selling my Nikon D3s. It was a camera for serious photographers, so it took a bit longer to find a buyer.

Yes it was worth it, I got my price.

Rick

20 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Not myself.  I think I get about one e-mail suggesting I promote my ad, and I just delete that.

If other Kijiji buyers are like me, if I'm serious, I will look right down to the last page for what I want.  Although, I admit, most of the phone action is within the first few days of posting - these are mostly low-balling tire kickers.  For our specialized higher end gear, it's more a matter of waiting for a serious buyer (and getting down to the right price - I tend to start off overly optimistic).  If my ad is old or about to expire, I will delete it and put up a new one with slightly different wording (and the usual price reductions as I go along).

24 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Not myself.  I think I get about one e-mail suggesting I promote my ad, and I just delete that.

If other Kijiji buyers are like me, if I'm serious, I will look right down to the last page for what I want.  Although, I admit, most of the phone action is within the first few days of posting - these are mostly low-balling tire kickers.  For our specialized higher end gear, it's more a matter of waiting for a serious buyer (and getting down to the right price - I tend to start off overly optimistic).  If my ad is old or about to expire, I will delete it and put up a new one with slightly different wording (and the usual price reductions as I go along).

Thanks for the reply. My experience so far has been similar to yours. Early responders tend to be time-wasters and worse. Rather than spend $ on upgrading, it's probably better just to wait and post a new ad as you suggest. I've already found a serious buyer for a lens, so things are looking up. However, I think that I might still be in the "over optimistic" stage for some of the other equipment that I have for sale. Time will tell...

John, if you are on Facebook, look for an equipment brand buy/sell forum. I saw one by chance for Nikon equipment and sold several of my Nikon lenses through there. I got no idiot inquiries, only serious inquiries.

Also, if you can find any of those groups on the net, “Sony” or whatever, you might have luck.

Betty

Found one on FB. 

Sony/Minolta Camera Equipment: Buy Sell Trade

9 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

John, if you are on Facebook, look for an equipment brand buy/sell forum. I saw one by chance for Nikon equipment and sold several of my Nikon lenses through there. I got no idiot inquiries, only serious inquiries.

Also, if you can find any of those groups on the net, “Sony” or whatever, you might have luck.

Betty

Found one on FB. 

Sony/Minolta Camera Equipment: Buy Sell Trade

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't do FB much, but I'll check this out. However, I like to keep transactions local if possible. Not really into shipping, etc. unless I absolutely have to. It's a waiting game...

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't do FB much, but I'll check this out. However, I like to keep transactions local if possible. Not really into shipping, etc. unless I absolutely have to. It's a waiting game...

I get that. I hate boxing up and shipping with a passion. Everyone who ever got a package from me said it was so well-packed there could have been an unbroken raw egg in there. I was terrified something would break.

Here in the States there’s been video shown on the news how all the shippers throw packages around. Makes me grit my teeth to think about it.

Betty

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I get that. I hate boxing up and shipping with a passion. Everyone who ever got a package from me said it was so well-packed there could have been an unbroken raw egg in there. I was terrified something would break.

Here in the States there’s been video shown on the news how all the shippers throw packages around. Makes me grit my teeth to think about it.

Betty

Centuries ago, during my student days,  I had a part-time job unloading trucks. I remember one particular huge truck loaded with brand new TV's. One guy stood in the back of the truck and threw each TV  to a guy below who in turn tossed it to the next one, and so on. But please don't tell anyone...

Always fun to see people throwing a package 10 feet to your porch. My mother had good smelling broken glass once. All that was left of the perfume I sent her. I think that’s what made me the packer I am today.

What’s scary with camera equipment is that some things have internal moving parts that all the packing material in the world won’t help. 

Kind of like the American football helmet. Great technology but it won’t keep the brain from sloshing around in the cranium.

Betty

I'll be trading in, after a week of waiting for my Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC lens to sell in original box plus lens pouch and uv filter I still have it. with a starting price of £200 I had 34 views and 1 watcher no bids were made, they have been selling for between £280 and £370.

I will not waste my time again.

Liam

Archived