how common are refunds on sales?

i got a sale on the 5th, very happy with it.

licence dates are:

Start: 05 April 2018
End: 05 April 2023

but then today for the same usage the dates are:

Start: 09 April 2018
End: 09 April 2028
Duration is life of the edition

but for a lower amount (a good 40% difference). - still a nice number though.

any ideas if this will result in a refund? how common are they? it seems to me that they are getting a better deal for a lower price, given its longer and has the extra note about duration on.

both still showing as live on sales, if it was a refund, wouldnt they have refunded that and then bought the new one straight away? or is there some overlap and both sales will go ahead? and the lower amount is kinda "extra" to cover the additional 5 years and the duration notice?

thanks

Not that uncommon in answer to your headline question, but, thankfully, far from being the norm.

From memory, and I may have this wrong, I think that if there is to be a refund and a resale at a different value, you get to know about the refund straight away.  So if no refund is mentioned I would guess that there won't be one. There are circumstances where a client buys more than one licence of an image, for example text book and teacher's copy, different sizes of the same image for varying calendar purposes etc. 

Do let us know the outcome.

13 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Not that uncommon in answer to your headline question, but, thankfully, far from being the norm.

From memory, and I may have this wrong, I think that if there is to be a refund and a resale at a different value, you get to know about the refund straight away.  So if no refund is mentioned I would guess that there won't be one. There are circumstances where a client buys more than one licence of an image, for example text book and teacher's copy, different sizes of the same image for varying calendar purposes etc. 

Do let us know the outcome.

yea it reads to me (never having had a refund before or know the alamy way, as well as many on here), that they have put both through and the lower sale could be an extension price maybe, as all details bar my summary above are identical. i too would have expected a cancellation /refund then "corrected" sale almost immediately after.

of course i'll keep updated on situation. either / or both a nice sale :)

13 minutes ago, Bryan said:

They could be unrelated. Licence adjustments, and the accompanying price change (and it's almost always a reduction) usually appear alongside the refund of the original fee on the same day.

I've had less than one a year on average.

Only 4 during the whole of my Alamy tenure.  2 were obvious mistaken double billing, the other 2 a PU sale, followed by a refund and resale at a higher price, followed by another refund and resale at a still higher price. Less than 1% of my total sales affected.

Rechecking, 4 in 9 years. Always resold, usually for less, once for the same amount. Loss to me about $30.

It used to be said that unless you got the odd refund you weren't selling hard enough. Stress not- especially as you haven't actually had a refund yet!

Archived