Live News worthy?

I have not yet published via Live News because my photos were not related to current events. But I am currently in Quebec City where the next G7 summit will be held in June and in the news here these day there are reports about the jail. Prisoners are being moved to to other prisons to make room in anticipation of the summit. So I will go take photos of the jail. Would you consider this worthy for Live News feed on Alamy  ? I would not want to make a bad first impression.     

I wouldn't worry too much about making that distinction. Get them uploaded with as fully detailed captions as you can and let the editors decide. There's very little to lose as far as 'worthiness' is concerned as you'll see plenty of smaller stories getting uploaded that contributors are hoping will attract somebody's attention.

I'm not a news photographer, but my guess is that you would have to make sure that your captions had a "newsy" editorial slant. Are the prisoners being moved for security reasons?  If so, that might be a possible hook for your images. I doubt that G7 organizers would want to put participants up in empty jail cells, but I won't go there. ^_^

P.S. Just found this article (in French). Sounds like authorities are expecting to make arrests during the summit, and they want somewhere to put the detainees.

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm not a news photographer, but my guess is that you would have to make sure that your captions had a "newsy" editorial slant. Are the prisoners being moved for security reasons?  If so, that might be a possible hook for your images. I doubt that G7 organizers would want to put participants up in empty jail cells, but I won't go there. ^_^

P.S. Just found this article (in French). Sounds like authorities are expecting to make arrests during the summit, and they want somewhere to put the detainees.

We will not go there indeedé  :-)   Yes its in anticipation of arrests of protestors, not participants and that may catch the attention as caption.  Last time a similar meeting was held in Canada, more that 500 were arrested in Toronto. -and as you are a canuck, one of the few times in the history of the country that the eternal flame on parliament hill in Ottawa was shut down. 

Having just been on a Alamy Sales seminar I would say yes upload them and repeat when anything else comes up news worthy as they wont use old photos for news even if the images are only a week old

3 hours ago, klod said:

I would not want to make a bad first impression.     

PS - You'll often see right howlers in methods of upload in Live News such as now if you're quick to look, with each image from someone's upload showing individually instead of being in a batch, so get the basics right and you'll not need to worry about first impressions.

4 hours ago, klod said:

We will not go there indeedé  :-)   Yes its in anticipation of arrests of protestors, not participants and that may catch the attention as caption.  Last time a similar meeting was held in Canada, more that 500 were arrested in Toronto. -and as you are a canuck, one of the few times in the history of the country that the eternal flame on parliament hill in Ottawa was shut down. 

I have a feeling that the jail could be filling up with protesters très rapidement this time around. I never see any Alamy news photos in Canadian newspapers, etc., but you never know. The story might have some international appeal. It's worth a try.

Bonne chance

I am not a news guy either, as I am not that quick in uploading pictures. 

Just photos of the jail without an accompanying story may not be newsworthy.

Though if you can catch the act someone is jailed for is definitely worth news. 

If there are already  protests and demonstrations, you can consider focusing on these. 

Preparatory work for the summit may also be of interest - I remember

photos of workers that weld shut manhole covers in the streets for instance. 

Always  upload news as swiftly as possible - best within the hour.

If in doubt, contact the Alamy news team, they are always there and of great help!  

10 hours ago, klod said:

But I am currently in Quebec City where the next G7 summit will be held in June and in the news here these day there are reports about the jail. Prisoners are being moved to to other prisons to make room in anticipation of the summit. So I will go take photos of the jail. Would you consider this worthy for Live News feed on Alamy? 

No. The "Live News" feed is for... live news. First, the image has to be uploaded within 24 hours of being shot, then it only stays in the news feed for about 48 hours until it is returned to your regular catalog. If you happen to photograph the jail while a riot is underway, or if it catches fire, jail break, ect.., the photo of the jail taken at that moment should be uploaded into the live news feed as quickly as possible. Any photos you take now, with nothing going on, should just be uploaded the normal way. If something happens in June, they may still be found and used by a news organization. 

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I'd say upload a couple of jail shots as news, but with a very relevant caption.  You never know and it IS newsworthy.

I agree but with one proviso... make sure that the images that you upload would be good enough to pass normal QC. The news team will make a decision based on the image and caption and might shunt them to normal QC if they don't agree that the images are news.

44 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I agree but with one proviso... make sure that the images that you upload would be good enough to pass normal QC. The news team will make a decision based on the image and caption and might shunt them to normal QC if they don't agree that the images are news.

Oh absolutely Matt - when I upload news I make sure the pics are of high enough quality to pass normal QC.

Archived