Transferring RAW from Sony RX100M3 to iPad and uploading as news

So I've done it again... walking around with my RX100M3, I see a newsworthy image and take a couple of shots... but I forgot to change the camera from RAW to JPEG. I can transfer the raw to my iPad and edit it in Snapseed to save as JPEG.. but somewhere in the process, the image is being downsized so when I upload using Shuttersnitch to Alamy news, fails as it's 'too small'.

So an appeal to Sony RX100 users... any suggestions?

Is there an 'in camera' Raw converter / editor? I dont have the Sony, but all the Nikons I use have the ability to do a quick and dirty edit on the Raw file and save as JPG to the memory card....(which is exactly what i did with today's 'sunny weather in Aberystwyth' LiveNews stuff

km

14 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

So I've done it again... walking around with my RX100M3, I see a newsworthy image and take a couple of shots... but I forgot to change the camera from RAW to JPEG. I can transfer the raw to my iPad and edit it in Snapseed to save as JPEG.. but somewhere in the process, the image is being downsized so when I upload using Shuttersnitch to Alamy news, fails as it's 'too small'.

So an appeal to Sony RX100 users... any suggestions?

Only for the future opportunities. But I would set the RX100-3 to both RAW and JPG (you already know, of course). I do, but I nearly always delete the JPGs as part of the work flow. I find the JPGs to be much too overdone and plastically. Especially the automatic noise reduction kills them. I would only use  the JPGs for news if terribly needed an in suitable light conditions..

Niels

11 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Is there an 'in camera' Raw converter / editor? I dont have the Sony, but all the Nikons I use have the ability to do a quick and dirty edit on the Raw file and save as JPG to the memory card....(which is exactly what i did with today's 'sunny weather in Aberystwyth' LiveNews stuff

km

Yes, I've looked for such an option but it is either well hidden in the menu or doesn't exist.

27 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Only for the future opportunities. But I would set the RX100-3 to both RAW and JPG (you already know, of course). I do, but I nearly always delete the JPGs as part of the work flow. I find the JPGs to be much too overdone and plastically. Especially the automatic noise reduction kills them. I would only use  the JPGs for news if terribly needed an in suitable light conditions..

Niels

I've done this before. But when I see the images to transfer to iPad, it seems to be the RAW version that transfers and I find myself in the same situation. The only way to be sure, as far as I've found, is to shoot in just JPEG...  up I could be missing a menu option to see both raw and joeg versions when viewing images in camera and therefore selecting images to transfer.

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Yes, I've looked for such an option but it is either well hidden in the menu or doesn't exist.

Go to "Menu" - under "Camera icon" - number 1 of seven pages - third item down "Quality" - press button in centre of wheel on back of camera brings up sub menu - second one down RAW & JPEG. Select what you want  - press menu.

Et Walla.:)

Allan

Just re-read thread and think I may have not replied correctly.:(

ITMA

I did a blog about transferring from RX1003 to iPhone a while back.
I shoot RAW/Jpeg and leave them on the camera whilst saving an original on the iPhone.
Just click the first link on the blog for the explanation with images.
http://www.mickflynnimages.com/blog/2018/1/getting-your-settings-right-with-the-sony-rx100m3

On 08/04/2018 at 20:56, RedSnapper said:

km

Hi Matt, I don’t have an iPad yet, but will soon, but this may help.

I edit my iphone photos in Snapseed and then export to the Filterstorm app in order to size them.

Chris

I would hazard a guess that the downsizing is down to ShutterSnitch using the built in Apple RAW image provider which is probably reading the preview which will not be full resolution... Try downloading Lightroom to the iPAD and see what size that reports the image as when loaded. I use LR to process RAW Fuji files often.. Works fine at full resolution...

On 4/9/2018 at 19:43, mickfly said:

I did a blog about transferring from RX1003 to iPhone a while back.
I shoot RAW/Jpeg and leave them on the camera whilst saving an original on the iPhone.
Just click the first link on the blog for the explanation with images.
http://www.mickflynnimages.com/blog/2018/1/getting-your-settings-right-with-the-sony-rx100m3

A good blog. I remember reading it. I think it covers a slightly different scenario where you are using your phone to trigger the shutter. I'm not doing this so the image is already stored at full size on the camera.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:46, Julie Edwards said:

I would hazard a guess that the downsizing is down to ShutterSnitch using the built in Apple RAW image provider which is probably reading the preview which will not be full resolution... Try downloading Lightroom to the iPAD and see what size that reports the image as when loaded. I use LR to process RAW Fuji files often.. Works fine at full resolution...

Could be.. I'll look into it. But the same happens if I edit the image in Snapseed before even pulling the image into ShutterSnitch... but I guess that Snapseed might be using the same Apple RAW functionality.

Archived