Accurate phrases can be as, if not more effective than single words tags. It depends on what they are. If you are using specific search terms as keyword phrases, and people actually type in that exact phrase, then yes. Eg Robin singing, robin perched on a branch, robin in winter plumage. Just poking a whole bunch of words in a phrase, or using long run-on sentences, probably won't help as much as concise, accurate, and specific phrases that someone is likely to use when typing in as a keyword search.

On 26/03/2018 at 13:49, Sally said:

I think Alamy’s advice is to keep it to one idea, eg robin on branch, robin singing, rather than robin singing on a branch

"The importance of captions

The search engine also looks in the caption when finding images so make sure you describe the image well and include background information if it’s important."

That's the advice from Alamy.

I think a structured sentence is best ie.,  A Robin (Erithacus rubecula) singing on a branch in a domestic garden.

John.

3 minutes ago, Stokie said:

"The importance of captions

The search engine also looks in the caption when finding images so make sure you describe the image well and include background information if it’s important."

That's the advice from Alamy.

I think a structured sentence is best ie.,  A Robin (Erithacus rubecula) singing on a branch in a domestic garden.

John.

I should have been clearer. I was referring to tags, not captions.

Just now, Sally said:

I should have been clearer. I was referring to tags, not captions.

Sorry Sally, my bad, I should have read the OP correctly!!

John.

The longer and more elaborate the phrase, the less likely there will.be a match from a customer search, but if there is a match, then there is less or even no competition in the matched results. 

21 hours ago, Avpics said:

Have a look in AoA for ideas. Put 'robin' in the search term box

TopTip #673

even better

put %robin

in the search box to also include phrases where robin isn't the first word

so it will pick up 'red robin', 'winter robin' 'winter garden robin branch snow' etc etc

km

On 3/29/2018 at 07:18, aphperspective said:

I know the tags are not case sensitive, is it the same for the caption?

The schema search engine Alamy uses is not case sensitive unless modified, and that would apply across the board. So, yes, to your question. The search engine is not case sensitive, regardless of the field.

8 hours ago, Martin B said:

The schema search engine Alamy uses is not case sensitive unless modified, and that would apply across the board. So, yes, to your question. The search engine is not case sensitive, regardless of the field.

Thanks for the info, i thought it was as you say, but no harm in asking.

Archived