Formatting

I have just inserted the memory card back into my a6500 after uploading to computer and it refuses to format, keeps displaying the message (this function is currently disabled).

Anyone have any ideas has to what has caused this.

Liam  

30 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Assuming it's SD, have you locked it by accident? I did it the other day.

Have you tried a different card?

Yes it's a Sandisk SD card.

How would I have locked it? as I don't recall tampering with anything since I last formatted it.

Just tried a different card and that's the same.  

Hi Liam,

Easiest thing to try next is to do a factory reset. There should be an option for this in your camera menus somewhere. If that doesn't work, you could try going on the Sony website and seeing if there is a firmware update for your camera.

Steve

Strange, or have I had a senior moment?

I noticed that the battery was almost exhausted so I put on charge left for a while and hey presto card formatted.

Many thanks for the advice both.

Liam 

2 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

Strange, or have I had a senior moment?

I noticed that the battery was almost exhausted so I put on charge left for a while and hey presto card formatted.

Many thanks for the advice both.

Liam 

Perhaps there is a 'protection within the software that prevents formatting if the battery is close to exhaustion.  I think that if formatting is disrupted it can cause problems.

John 

1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

Sounds like that's probably the case. Wouldn't it be helpful if devices like that would somehow tell you why they refuse to perform tasks? Like a "battery too low" message or error code on the LCD? Hmmm maybe that's just too obvious.  :D

Geoff.

Telling you would use up the last bit of power anyway!

You usually do get a battery indicator but it's that silly little chocolate bar about 1/8" long. Everybody misses that.

Just read the thread and was curious. 

Googling the manual and it says so in the fineprint hidden as the very last topic in the note. 

That note has a handfull of bullet points, starting off with "Formatting erases all data ..... " 

At that point every technically versatile person, which I believe all photographers are to quite a degree, would immediately stop reading the obvious. 

The very last point of the handful of bullet points then says that one cannot format if the remaining charge is less than 1%.  

Technically feasible, because if formatting is interrupted in the middle, it may leave the memory card dead, as dead can be. 

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0001117088.html

I wonder that if even if I read the note, I would remember it at the point it happens. :D

3 hours ago, hdh said:

Just read the thread and was curious. 

Googling the manual and it says so in the fineprint hidden as the very last topic in the note. 

That note has a handfull of bullet points, starting off with "Formatting erases all data ..... " 

At that point every technically versatile person, which I believe all photographers are to quite a degree, would immediately stop reading the obvious. 

The very last point of the handful of bullet points then says that one cannot format if the remaining charge is less than 1%.  

Technically feasible, because if formatting is interrupted in the middle, it may leave the memory card dead, as dead can be. 

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0001117088.html

I wonder that if even if I read the note, I would remember it at the point it happens. :D

Agree with you there hdh. there is too much to remember in this game and it gets worse the older I am.:wacko:

Allan

Archived