I know it it a bit early in the year to raise this but...  I have just been granted press accreditation for a summer music festival.  This is the first time that I have covered the full festival.  (I did get some photos in The Telegraph etc last year for a news story from the same event).  I want to submit the pictures via the entertainment section of Live News.  Does anyone have any advice on number of pictures etc.  I want to avoid the news pictures being moved by a news editor to stock then failing QC.  I am planning on a couple of pictures of each headline act and some crowd reaction shots. Any thoughts appreciated 

I did my first live festival last year, big acts were The Stranglers, The Darkness and Kate Nash.  I was allowed the usual 3 songs for each act and it goes slower than you'd think - first tip is take your time.  I started the first song with the 14-24 to get the wide shot, then changed to the 24-70, with the 70-200 on the other camera body.  Spot metering always, don't motor drive, take your time with each shot and use a minimum of 1/400 shutter speed to freeze the action, unless you want some motion blur. 

Don't just shoot the lead singer, get shots of the other band members.  During the set, turn the camera onto the crowd - stand on the barrier or lift your camera high.  The crowd, or some of them, will play up to the camera and there's your shot.  Get yourself to the entrance before the gates open and get the crowd running in to get to the front.

After the 3 songs, file your pictures - you'll have the rest of the band's set and around 20 minutes extra whilst the stage is set up for the next act, so plenty of time. 

Take a look at my port, you'll see a bunch of festival pics, although prepare to be underwhelmed!  If you've any questions just ask and good luck!

1 hour ago, IanDavidson said:

I want to avoid the news pictures being moved by a news editor to stock then failing QC.  

Why would that happen? They’d definitely be news images.

8 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

II want to avoid the news pictures being moved by a news editor to stock then failing QC.  I am planning on a couple of pictures of each headline act and some crowd reaction shots. Any thoughts appreciated 

As far as I know, Entertainment News goes through the same process as General News. The difference is that it will show up in the general news feed as well as when you click the Entertain News tab. Just make sure your captions and headline explain what the photos are about -- who, what, where, when  -- and you should be OK.

I just looked at my sales history and it looks like I sold 15 photos from the Coachella Music Festival. None of the sales were of the bands or large crowds. I'd say you should take Instagram-type photos if you want sales. 

On 11/03/2018 at 08:33, IanDavidson said:

I want to avoid the news pictures being moved by a news editor to stock then failing QC.  I am planning on a couple of pictures of each headline act and some crowd reaction shots. Any thoughts appreciated 

No need to worry on that score, all the entertainment and sport stuff is treated in the same way as a general news upload - it immediately passes QC, then later transfers into stock, at which point it'll be marked as follows:   "This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage."

39 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

No need to worry on that score, all the entertainment and sport stuff is treated in the same way as a general news upload - it immediately passes QC, then later transfers into stock, at which point it'll be marked as follows:   "This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage."

The news team sometimes weed out news subs they don't regard as news. If they do it goes into the QC queue:wacko:

Archived