Question: Does one need 20/20 eyesight to become a successful photographer?

hdh

He only uses old fashioned film cameras with manual focus not digital. 

For focus, he made feelable marks on the lens to know the distance, that the it is set to. 

Sound is his prime method of orientation. 

48 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

It must be awful not to be able to see your own photos.

Allan

Interestingly he only started photography after he turned blind and found his passion in it. 

I help a blind woman to go to her medical appointments. I am very grateful for vision. Every little thing becomes difficult. I'm glad he has a wife. My friend lives alone and though she gets some help from neighbors and the doormen it is a constant problem not to be able to see. 

Paulette

• 2 weeks later...

I’m recovering from cataract surgery and have had lousy vision for about 6 weeks now. I ‘ve been going out nearly every day with camera set to F11, evaluative metering, AF, +/- 1 bracketing and 125 ISO and I’ve got a lot of decent shots. The camera can see well even though I can’t. I never really know what I’ve got until I’m home and uploaded. It’s giving me something to focus on (sorry obv pun) before I’m fixed and back at work,

You'll probably be back to 20/20 or close before you know it- or in my case I went from 20/200 to 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other - a big improvement in  any case (and that's 20/200 before the cataracts). Scary how fast they can suddenly seem to develop but great how easily they can be fixed. I'd advise taking it easy and giving yourself a little time (a couple weeks) to heal before spending a lot of time outside in bright sunlight. I pushed hard the first time and ended up with awful migraines for months afterwards, so I gave myself a little time to heal with the second eye. 

Archived