Lightroom, complete Basic Panel workflow

14 hours ago, Sally said:

Great, thanks. I’ve downloaded Prolost dehaze and will give it a try since I don’t have the CC version of Lightroom. Certainly, a dehaze tool looks very worthwhile. 

Don't know what processing software you are using but I know "Dehaze" is available in PSE14.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't know what processing software you are using but I know "Dehaze" is available in PSE14.

Allan

Not in the Lightroom 6.14 perpetual license version Im afraid.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

34 minutes ago, Sally said:

Not in the Lightroom 6.14 perpetual license version Im afraid.

Any filter in Photoshop Elements or Photoshop for that matter will only work on the converted image and not on the raw so will give inferior results as a general rule to working directly on the raw before converting. The Prolost dehaze is apparently a Lightroom preset so will work on the raw. I've not tried it as I have the CC version.

I used the Prolost presets with Lightroom 6 prior to opting into the CC version because of Photoshop. They work not as well as the slider but well enough. That is, they're less convenient to use but the results are good.

Just tried the Prolost dehaze on a few seaside photos taken today (in Alamy Live News) and it certainly works well. Not as good as a slider, as you have to click on different options to adjust the mount of the dehaze, but it's a lot better than having to change my Adobe License. So thanks again to Justin Case for pointing it out.

On 1/11/2018 at 21:04, Sally said:

Great, thanks. I’ve downloaded Prolost dehaze and will give it a try since I don’t have the CC version of Lightroom. Certainly, a dehaze tool looks very worthwhile. 

Hi Sally, great to hear you found it useful.
Let us know how it works

On 13/01/2018 at 10:13, Justin Case said:

Hi Sally, great to hear you found it useful.
Let us know how it works

Works great. We have had some really dreary dull (we’d call them ‘dreich’ North of the Border) days recently, and today was another. I took a few photos and used the Prolost dehaze (up to +14), and the resulting clarity is brilliant.

On 1/12/2018 at 14:46, DDoug said:

I used the Prolost presets with Lightroom 6 prior to opting into the CC version because of Photoshop. They work not as well as the slider but well enough. That is, they're less convenient to use but the results are good.

Very interesting.
Good to have first hand feed back, as I use the CC version, so I have not tried the Prolost

On 1/12/2018 at 09:34, MDM said:

Any filter in Photoshop Elements or Photoshop for that matter will only work on the converted image and not on the raw so will give inferior results as a general rule to working directly on the raw before converting. The Prolost dehaze is apparently a Lightroom preset so will work on the raw. I've not tried it as I have the CC version.

That's a valuable point to keep in mind. Thanks, Michael. 

On 1/17/2018 at 11:19, Justin Case said:

Very interesting.
Good to have first hand feed back, as I use the CC version, so I have not tried the Prolost

One aspect of using the preset dehaze from Prolost is that, unless I was doing something wrong, it needs to be the last thing before exporting the image. Like the CC version, it tends to darken the image slightly. It's similar to having to estimate dry-down in black and white printing. With the CC version you can adjust the dehaze using its slider and then go back and lighten the image as needed. I could be just as happy and perhaps happier with an earlier version of Photoshop, but I keep paying Adobe their EUR 11,89 per month because of this feature in Lightroom.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:41, DDoug said:

One aspect of using the preset dehaze from Prolost is that, unless I was doing something wrong, it needs to be the last thing before exporting the image. Like the CC version, it tends to darken the image slightly. It's similar to having to estimate dry-down in black and white printing. With the CC version you can adjust the dehaze using its slider and then go back and lighten the image as needed. I could be just as happy and perhaps happier with an earlier version of Photoshop, but I keep paying Adobe their EUR 11,89 per month because of this feature in Lightroom.

I perfectly agree: Dehaze darkens the image, increase saturation and tends to shift the white balance towards the blue.
Some adjustments are needed in the Basic Panel (or curves)

Archived