Hand luggage on aircraft - Ryanair

For those that weren't aware, Ryanair are about to change their rules on hand luggage - restricting allowances and adding fees. Applies from next Monday. Doubtless other airlines (specifically European, but possibly further afield), will follow suit? Or will they use this as a selling point for a different class of service?

Not something that particularly affects me greatly, but it will be interesting to see if/how this affects the airline. Surely there is a market for a service one step up from this kind of offering without being overly costly? 

Not a huge difference- they're just going to put the large bags in the hold for free, which they already were doing if you weren't at the front of the queue. As a Sony user I can still get everything in one bag. Easyjet are the real bag fascists now.

Yes not a lot has changed really but the media will no doubt spin this to make it look bad. Until a few years ago, you were only allowed one bag on board Ryanair anyway and that included airport shopping bags. They were very strict then but they relaxed under pressure from their shareholders and I'm guessing the airports who want to sell goods. When they started allowing two bags (supposedly one normal and one small), naturally people started to take advantage of that as people do, bringing the kitchen sink on board which led to the current situation. The simple way around it is to pay an extra £3 - £6 for priority boarding. Given that their fares are amazingly cheap anyway if you book in plenty of time, that is almost nothing.

I always get priority boarding anyway for the minimal cost so I make sure I get my hard Ryanair size trolly bag which contains my gear on the plane so it makes no difference to me. I do make sure I bring food with me if flying any distance as the onboard food and drink is very expensive.

I have thought from the beginning of charging for luggage (remember when it was all free?) they should charge for the hand luggage and check luggage for free. If people had to pay to bring on hand luggage there would be a lot more room in the overhead bins and maybe they would let those of us (photographers) with heavy equipment pay more to bring more on.

Paulette

As an habitual hand-baggage only traveller, getting charged an extra 5 or 6 quid/dollars would still be worth it to not have to line up at baggage reclaim, I want to be on my way as quickly and smoothly as possible. If it meant a bit more room in the overhead bins that would be a bonus. I'm often gob-smacked what some people will try to cram up there. 

8 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

As an habitual hand-baggage only traveller, getting charged an extra 5 or 6 quid/dollars would still be worth it to not have to line up at baggage reclaim, I want to be on my way as quickly and smoothly as possible. If it meant a bit more room in the overhead bins that would be a bonus. I'm often gob-smacked what some people will try to cram up there. 

On a flight to the US, I was being dripped on by water from the overhead locker. Someone had put something in with ice, which of course melted after a while. Neither the very disinterested Virgin stewardesses (who were more interested in having a good natter with each other than attending to customers), nor the owner, were concerned. 

49 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

As an habitual hand-baggage only traveller, getting charged an extra 5 or 6 quid/dollars would still be worth it to not have to line up at baggage reclaim, I want to be on my way as quickly and smoothly as possible. 

Exactly. That is part of the budget travel model - only pay for what you need. I don't generally need hold baggage for my Ryanair trips and I don't want to have to pay for it. Those who do pay the extra. Similarly I don't want a meal on board and I don't want to pay for it as standard. I check in online and have no contact with anybody from the airline until I board. Not so long ago (into the 90s) it cost a fortune to travel between Ireland and Britain by air with the traditional airlines more or less monopolising things. Ryanair broke that mould  eventually expanding across Europe followed by Easyjet and other budget carriers. Let's hope it lasts.

Now if we could have budget train travel in Britain that would be fantastic.

Archived