Lowest megabyte value for jpeg

Although the test submission for entry is 17 meg per file for jpegs, it seems that Alamy will accept lower meg pegs.

Any idea what the very lowest jpeg megabyte value is that Alamy will accept - I have some stunning insect shots but they are tiny files of a few meg?

thanks

The 17 megabytes Alamy is mentioning is the file in uncompressed mode. This when the file is open in any program. When it is closed it can be even 2 megabytes. Important to know is ONLY that your file is 6 megapixel and to forget the extra technical info about uncompressed. 

If your insect shots are 6 megapixel or more you can upload them.

Mirco

Hi All this is immensely helpful. Thank you. This means that all my Greenland and Spitzbergen photos with my previous camera are all 12 million pixels so can be uploaded to QC. What a relief. My current camera is 104 meg RAW and around 36 megapixels so all okay.  Thanks for your advice and encouragement to a newbie.

In Greenland I sailed into the ice pack and massive bergs in a trawler so got some great shots. Also went up on the icecap by helicopter. The local Greenlanders broke some ice into a glass of Martini Bianco and said ' Drink this, it fell as rain when Jesus Christ was on Earth.' All good stuff.

In passing I note that some photoprint companies are now taking RAW shots at full value and printing them.

kind regards

David

2 hours ago, Darkstar said:

In passing I note that some photoprint companies are now taking RAW shots at full value and printing them.

Wouldn't an uncorrected RAW be a terrible source for print? I'm thinking of how awful my RAWs look in Picasa, which I still find handy as a quick reference.

50 minutes ago, Travelshots said:

I see  some of your images at 100 meg.   50MB is more than big enough.

Images from D800/810 cameras are 36MP/104MB. I don't know what Alamy think of downsizing these nowadays but there was advice when the D800 came out not to downsize. However, some images at this size will probably not pass QC unless downsized, others will have no problem if lenses and technique are very good to excellent. I judge on an image by image basis - if I know they are acceptably sharp at full size, I submit them at full size. I have had only one QC failure since I got my first D800 back in summer 2012 - that was my 2nd submission from the D800 and the image was not sharp at full size although downsizing would have made it acceptable. I didn't bother to resubmit though.

HI

I have just been told that I must not press the 'reply' button on the emails with your messages on as it does not work - otherwise it goes to 'contributors' not the forum - whoops!

Yes I have been seeing adverts for 'RAW printing'.

Here is some info about it all:

http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/outputting/printing-raw-files

I never thought about downsizing the RAW files. I've had three shots rejected for being soft - one was max telephoto of the sun's surface and the other two were photos of my art paintings on canvas of misty mountains - so not surprising. Otherwise it has been pretty good. I started with two stars and I now have three - whatever that means.

I wonder if I will ever have as many stars as George Washington!

cheers

David

33 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I never thought about downsizing the RAW files. I've had three shots rejected for being soft - one was max telephoto of the sun's surface and the other two were photos of my art paintings on canvas of misty mountains - so not surprising. Otherwise it has been pretty good. I started with two stars and I now have three - whatever that means.

I wonder if I will ever have as many stars as George Washington!

cheers

David

You can't downsize raw files. Open the converted file in Photoshop and downsize there, save it from ACR at a smaller size if that is what you use or export from Lightroom at a smaller size.

Hi - my response was in response to another correspondent who suggested that it was possible. I think you are right and that the only way would be to make it into a jpeg but the other person seems to think they have successfully done it so I will ask them later.

cheers

David

31 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Hi - my response was in response to another correspondent who suggested that it was possible. I think you are right and that the only way would be to make it into a jpeg but the other person seems to think they have successfully done it so I will ask them later.

Not possible. The RAW file is the digital equivalent of a negative. You can export from a RAW file, e.g. in Lightroom, at a smaller size, but you can't resize the RAW file.

Alan

6 hours ago, MDM said:

Images from D800/810 cameras are 36MP/104MB. I don't know what Alamy think of downsizing these nowadays but there was advice when the D800 came out not to downsize. However, some images at this size will probably not pass QC unless downsized, others will have no problem if lenses and technique are very good to excellent. I judge on an image by image basis - if I know they are acceptably sharp at full size, I submit them at full size. I have had only one QC failure since I got my first D800 back in summer 2012 - that was my 2nd submission from the D800 and the image was not sharp at full size although downsizing would have made it acceptable. I didn't bother to resubmit though.

Mick - you're correct but way over the head of this contributor, I think. They need to improve their knowledge and understanding of some digital photography fundamentals, and get to work on correcting their wonky horizons! 

2 hours ago, Darkstar said:

cheers

David

58 minutes ago, Keith Douglas said:

Mick - you're correct but way over the head of this contributor, I think. They need to improve their knowledge and understanding of some digital photography fundamentals, and get to work on correcting their wonky horizons! 

Thanks Keith. What an insult not being trusted with something so rudimentary. I await an apology :D

Archived