Contributors having more choice in which of their images show first in searches

Doc

Dear Alamy,

Since the changes of last December to the Search Engine we have found that it is almost impossible to determine which of our own images in a particular search are likely to appear earliest.

Prior to that it was usually the images that were keyworded last that tended to appear highest in the searches. 

Many of us who have been contributing to Alamy for many years are pretty much aware of which of our images are most likely to be wanted by purchasers and will therefore sell. I know that Alamy have always said to contributors "Only upload your best images", but you will be well aware that different images sell for different reasons. 

An example of this occurred last year when, in late November, having returned fro South Africa, I first of all uploaded several images related to the airports and flights - these went in on page 2, but I uploaded them first as although they will sell, I had much better images of Cape Town/South Africa. Then the new changes hit, and now in a search for Cape Town my airport images appear near the top of the search and all others are lower.

Surely this facility would enable both us and Alamy to improve business and sales - ?

Kind regards

Kumar (the Doc one)

This could be where order of tags would be important.  But we would need the ability to shuffle the tags once uploaded.  Not sure if they will ever do that,. but is certainly would improve the search results for buyers.

Jill

Yes, I would like to see this. I have images that have sold of a place in Africa and they now sometimes appear lower than other newer images that are more about a single detail of the place. It would be helpful to provide the images first that are more useful to a buyer.

Paulette

I fully agree with what Kumar has suggested.  The results are often unsatisfactory using the present search engine with many of my best sellers appearing well behind my less popular shots and it seems almost impossible to change this.  With the old MI and previous search engines it was possible to bring certain images nearer the front of my own collection.

Pearl

+1

I've tried using what should be the most favourable combination of tags and supertags for the best image in a set, but it doesn't seem to reliably place it first. I have a feeling that images which have sold previously (possibly against different search criteria) are given a bit extra "magic sauce" and tend to be placed earlier than those that haven't, but it's hard to know for sure.

Mark

Archived