Too much for stock? D850

On 8/28/2017 at 05:06, arterra said:

Don't stalk kingfishers. You need:

1. a hide (I use a cheap childrens' dome tent painted in camouflage colours, fitted with a sleeve to stick my lens through)
  2. look for a nice, photogenic branch of the ideal length
  3. think like a kingfisher: what would be the ideal spot to fish (in the shadow to see the fish below more clearly)
  4. think like a photographer: place the stick in a spot conform to n°3 but also which provides a pleasing background and good light
  5. sit still in the hide and wait........ wait ......... wait .........wait .......... 

Portrait of Eurasian / Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) perched on branch with caught fish in beak, the Netherlands Stock Photo

Portrait of Eurasian / Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) perched on branch with caught fish in beak   Arterra Picture Library / Loulou Beavers

Common kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) female perched on branch over river Stock Photo

Common kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) female perched on branch over river

Cheers and good luck,

Philippe

I'm off topic again, ain't I? :unsure:

You make me ill, Philippe, with your success. 

Me, who bought a camouflage hide.  Me, who set it up before dawn to view the place at a lake (a stickup broken off small tree in the water) that a kingfisher hunted from.  

Me, who sat motionless. Until the bugs crawled and I gently flicked them off of me. My hide has no floor....  Until the sun beat down and I wiped sweat from my face. Until I had to drink water.

I had the hide closed except for a small unzipped part that I stuck my lens out of. So the bird could never see those slight moves.

Hours later, bug bit, hot to the point of dizziness, but no love.  Went home and never came back.  3-4 hours for no photo is a waste of valuable time.

Betty

7 hours ago, arterra said:

But did you do the kingfisher dance before you entered your hide to please Nikonos, the mighty photography God? 

Ah, well there's your problem 🙄

Cheers,

Philippe

Sugar, I knew something was wrong, I praised and danced for Canonos before and after sunrise and am really dedicated. 

All makes sense now, there is no red in the kingfisher feathers. 

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You make me ill, Philippe, with your success. 

Me, who bought a camouflage hide.  Me, who set it up before dawn to view the place at a lake (a stickup broken off small tree in the water) that a kingfisher hunted from.  

Me, who sat motionless. Until the bugs crawled and I gently flicked them off of me. My hide has no floor....  Until the sun beat down and I wiped sweat from my face. Until I had to drink water.

I had the hide closed except for a small unzipped part that I stuck my lens out of. So the bird could never see those slight moves.

Hours later, bug bit, hot to the point of dizziness, but no love.  Went home and never came back.  3-4 hours for no photo is a waste of valuable time.

Betty

Betty,

I spend probably 20 hours now - but am rewarded with  pictures  of

• The empty stick that I placed
  • A spider on the very same stick (probably ~20 pixels in size) 
  • The empty stick in really great sunrise light
  • The empty stick in not so good overcast light
  • An unusable picture of a robin's great facial expression, which was sitting behind the bushes in which I hid 

But I had a lot of time to think, really tranquil and meditative. 

13 minutes ago, arterra said:

Or instead of a photogenic branch ......... you could use a fishing rod (when you have angler's magazines in mind-_-

Common kingfisher / Eurasian kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) with caught fish in beak, perched on fishing rod from angler    Arterra Picture Library / Sven-Erik Arndt

Cheers,

Philippe (did I rub it in? :huh:)

No, not at all :angry:

Edit: Maybe I should upload the empty stick and keyword as "kingfisher hangout for hunt, without kingfisher, nobody" 

On 8/28/2017 at 12:06, arterra said:

I'm off topic again, ain't I? :unsure:

only slightly, but I started a new thread where you can continue to rub it in giving good advice. 

As for the megapixels, they are good for cropping kingfishers when one does not get close enough. 

38 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

Im planning to get one- won't use it for stock though

It will be dedicated to my landscape and seascape images - pretty much permanently on a tripod 

Handheld should not be a problem though. Apparently there are two smaller raw size options as well as the big one. In any case, although I prefer to use a tripod or monopod, I frequently shoot handheld with D800/D810 as I would with smaller files and no problems with sharpness. Will probably get one when the feeding frenzy has died down. 

You guys are a hoot. Maybe you should have been trying to shoot owls.

Come to think of it, I had my D800 (36mp) in that hide with me. If my 80-400 didn't reach far enough, I had cropability of that tree stub sticking out of the water.

And the only dance I did was when the ant crawled up my pant leg.

Betty

On 8/30/2017 at 15:37, GS-Images said:

But Betty, if you wanted to take photos of cows, you simply had to ask your local farmer. No need to go through all that.

Mr Moo.

I don't ask. I sneak. :P Get a lot of cow pictures sneaking onto private property. Well...the land between the road and the fence, anyway.

The only reason I don't climb over the fence is Mr. Bull might be lurking.

On 9/2/2017 at 04:32, Betty LaRue said:

You guys are a hoot. Maybe you should have been trying to shoot owls.

Come to think of it, I had my D800 (36mp) in that hide with me. If my 80-400 didn't reach far enough, I had cropability of that tree stub sticking out of the water.

And the only dance I did was when the ant crawled up my pant leg.

Betty

Never thought about that, as they are mostly active in the night without light and feel like flashing them might be kinda mean.

For owls I went to a local station that help wild owls that had an accident of some sort. 

No need to dance and some owls shake their heads when being photographed (my current avatar picture). 

tawny-owl-strix-aluco-violently-shaking-

It makes me laugh that they shake their heads. Do you think they are saying "no"? It's better than having a Maasai warrior throw a spear at you. I was told not to photograph them without permission! I wonder if the spear story was just meant to make me mind my manners.

Paulette

7 hours ago, NYCat said:

It makes me laugh that they shake their heads. Do you think they are saying "no"? It's better than having a Maasai warrior throw a spear at you. I was told not to photograph them without permission! I wonder if the spear story was just meant to make me mind my manners.

Paulette

the owl might have meant no, but the poor little one was fixed to the resting place and could not attack me. 

I took that to my advantage and shot some more and the owl wasn't too happy about that.

tawny-owl-strix-aluco-greifvogelstation-gut-leidenhausen-cologne-porz-FN6AAE.jpg

Archived