This topic is now closed to further replies.

A really interesting topic started by Brasilnut has been closed which is a great shame as I personally was learning a lot from it. I had personally not yet contributed but I was about to. Some people were angry, some people conciliatory and others offered heartfelt opinions. Interesting and enlightening it certainly was. Whatever happened to freedom of speech Alamy?

Kevin

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but Alamy own this forum and are responsible for its existence. Therefore whether we like it or not, as a commercial company they have an absolute right to decide what should and shouldn't appear on it.

Alan

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is what free speech is all about. I thought the thread was just becoming interesting with the recent thoughts of Mr Carlsson and Brasilnut which is why I thought it a shame that it was closed. 

Kevin

7 minutes ago, Hellonearth said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is what free speech is all about. I thought the thread was just becoming interesting with the recent thoughts of Mr Carlsson and Brasilnut which is why I thought it a shame that it was closed. 

Kevin

Thanks, but personally have no problem with it being closed, it was destined for that since the outset! Onwards and upwards!

Thanks, but personally have no problem with it being closed, it was destined for that since the outset! Onwards and upwards!

Interesting reply on the thread before it was closed, Martin.

A really interesting topic started by Brasilnut has been closed which is a great shame as I personally was learning a lot from it.

I also think it's a pity, although I respect the decision. 

• "Absolutely! Some images do very very very well on micros with repeat low-value downloads, since they're so generic/bland, albeit with commercial value, so why should I stop submitting such images there?"
  • "The 25 cents a pop isn't much but if you have images which are being licensed dozens of times a day for months it adds up and someone in Thailand making $500 a month can live like a king! B) I should move to Thailand..."
  • "That must be why you (read Brasilnut) quote blogs about high sales at micro stock sites?"
  • In particular it boggles my mind that one such editorial image of a young refugee girl holding up an SOS sign has netted me $1k but has never been licensed at Alamy. For me it's quite obvious because it's much cheaper for buyers to look for similar images on Micros, but the same does not hold true for new stuff which just sits there month after month after month on Alamy. I see zooms but I don't see buyers.

My intention was never to come across as rude...in the world of ideas, how can someone be offended if I "insult" an idea? There's considerable scope and relevancy on discussing the state of the industry, including the "threat" that Microstock poses to Alamy. However, this is clearly the wrong platform for this type of debate, since we can't possibly speak comparatively about the different segments of the industry without going into the details on the agencies and their business practices, so the thread probably went too far enough anyway. 

In the end, personally the thread fulfilled its original purpose as it answered my original question which was "why am I not making money at Alamy?" As a result of the inputs, I've made changes to my workflow and image selections, which should yield benefits. 

I don't want to re-start the old thread, I would just like to take the opportunity to thank you all for taking the time to contribute to the discussion and invite us to continue on a more adequate platform, such as an independent stock photography forum, as suggested above. :) 

13 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Interesting reply on the thread before it was closed, Martin.

I also think it's a pity, although I respect the decision. 

My intention was never to come across as rude...in the world of ideas, how can someone be offended if I "insult" an idea? There's considerable scope and relevancy on discussing the state of the industry, including the "threat" that Microstock poses to Alamy. However, this is clearly the wrong platform for this type of debate, since we can't possibly speak comparatively about the different segments of the industry without going into the details on the agencies and their business practices, so the thread probably went too far enough anyway. 

In the end, personally the thread fulfilled its original purpose as it answered my original question which was "why am I not making money at Alamy?" As a result of the inputs, I've made changes to my workflow and image selections, which should yield benefits. 

I don't want to re-start the old thread, I would just like to take the opportunity to thank you all for taking the time to contribute to the discussion and invite us to continue on a more adequate platform, such as an independent stock photography forum, as suggested above. :) 

Don't be stranger...or one of the many vanishing acts...and good luck with your renewed focus!

Don't be stranger...or one of the many vanishing acts...and good luck with your renewed focus!

I'm not going anywhere!

The "cow", "RinTinTin" and "Mr. Since 2004 no surrender to Microstock" will have to put up with me for a while longer! :D

See you around and good luck to you as well. 

• Alamy locked this topic

Archived