Photos of banknotes

There are hundreds of photos of banknotes on Alamy and I had an idea for something within this category. However, I then read the Bank of England's terms for reproductions of banknotes, as well as those for Royal Bank of Scotland, which are similar but even more stringent. It's hard to believe that everyone who has a photo on Alamy has made the appropriate application. The RBS one only lasts for six months and has to be renewed. Or am I missing something? 

Relevant information below

Bank of England

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/reproappform.aspx

RBS

http://heritagearchives.rbs.com/content/dam/rbs/Documents/History/reproducing-banknotes-guidelines.pdf

A photograph featuring notes as part of a composition is reckoned to be OK, it's straight copies that are verboten.

That's the way many of us see it, anyway. I've got images including B of E notes and i'm not concerned about them.

13 minutes ago, Stockfotoart said:

I don't know for the UK but as far as I know for Germany (Euros) only 1/3 of a bank note may be visible on a photo.

Yes there are similar rules in those links I provided, but the point is that they both say that an application has to be made in order to ensure you are complying with the rules. Clearly people haven't done that, so I am wondering whether there is other advice rather than just hoping it's OK.

Yes, I have images of tip baskets that were accepted on Alamy, but I had a few images that were bills that were laid out flat on a table and they weren't accepted. 

40 minutes ago, kimba said:

Yes, I have images of tip baskets that were accepted on Alamy, but I had a few images that were bills that were laid out flat on a table and they weren't accepted. 

Helpful information, thanks.  So you didn't have to get permission from whichever Bank the notes were from, as long as the photos complied with their rules?

They are US dollars. It didn't even occur to me to ask for permission from the US Treasury.

I think it's because they are too easily copied (forged) if the bills are laid out flat rather than jumbled up in a basket. 

*Search "British banknotes"*

Yeah, some of them are.... questionable.

If you're British based, then criminal offence under Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 is an obvious issue. If it's the main subject of the photo, then it's probably also violating the banks copyrights as well.

• 1 month later...

I am in discussion with the Bank of England on this subject.  I submitted two groups of pictures.  The first group of piles of £5 notes, some with £1 coins on top, has largely been accepted and I will advise Alamy of that acceptance.  The second group is more interesting.  I have put certain objects on top of a pile of £5 notes.  They say "we would not encourage images of our notes to be reproduced in this way and would consider it not to meet condition 3: "Reproductions may note appear in an offensive or inappropriate context or in such a manner that the Bank, in its sole opinion, believes would undermine the integrity of the currency"."

the wording does does not prohibit their use as the objects on top ensure that less than 50% of any note is visible.  

I also pointed out that micro stocks sites have vast numbers of pictures of currency that do not meet the requirements, yet the BoE appears to do nothing.....

5 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

I also pointed out that micro stocks sites have vast numbers of pictures of currency that do not meet the requirements, yet the BoE appears to do nothing.....

Those sites may well be not in the UK.

Or they're picking their fights wisely.

wim

Wim, I did ask if they only enforced on the basis of criminality or on a risk assessed basis.  It will be interesting to see if and how they respond.  I have been unable to find any examples of enforcement - but that may well be because they will no doubt issue warnings except in the case of criminality 

Archived